Sponsored

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
As a "normal" non-YouTuber person, I really appreciate the candid information about finances and calculations. I'm perpetually confused by how YouTubers like Kyle Connor (who has far less subscribers than you) is out there buying and keeping so many cars like a Rivian and a Plaid and several other vehicles all at the same time.

Rivian R1T R1S Alex on Autos' Follow-Up After Selling His R1T 5MeYc0h_b6jDi0DKbu2xG3Jp=s88-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-r
EV Buyers Guide

18 hours ago
I donā€™t wanna start any rumors, but itā€™s my understanding that the money is coming from somewhere else for him
Spicy. FWIW, I appreciate Kyle's videos, but his whole schtick about "We are just normal people who make youtube videos, anyone can do it if they understand Youtube" is definitely bullshit.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jclicky

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Spicy. FWIW, I appreciate Kyle's videos, but his whole schtick about "We are just normal people who make youtube videos, anyone can do it if they understand Youtube" is definitely bullshit.
šŸ’Æ - which is unfortunate because really it would be no skin off of his nose if he was just a bit more transparent & vulnerable as Alex on Autos has been here, but as it is, it doesnā€™t look great, so undermines all of his opinions. Also, Iā€™ve noticed that Kyle can be more honest, blunt & critical of Rivian (fairly) in InsideEV podcasts whereas heā€™s much more effusively positive toward all brands in his own videos.

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
šŸ’Æ - which is unfortunate because really it would be no skin off of his nose if he was just a bit more transparent & vulnerable as Alex on Autos has been here, but as it is, it doesnā€™t look great, so undermines all of his opinions. Also, Iā€™ve noticed that Kyle can be more honest, blunt & critical of Rivian (fairly) in InsideEV podcasts whereas heā€™s much more effusively positive toward all brands in his own videos.
All youtubers have the same issue: they will lose access to the demo fleets and events if they are too critical. Everyone knows that the software is shit on VWs but no one (except for Alex) says much about it for fear of losing access.

So all YT reviews have to he taken with a grain of salt.

jffkm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
Iā€™ve been gone for 2 weeks and checked on my Model y a few times (thus waking it up) and it has only lost 1kw over the 2 weeks (based on remaining mileage reduction) most of which was in the first two days and has since stabilized. It was 165 miles when we left. After 1 week, 161. Still 161 miles remaining. While not a perfect measure, itā€™s the best baseline I can get remotely. With that, looks like Tesla (model Y) has about zero drain. Super happy about that. Hopefully Rivian can figure this out before 2024 when my number is supposed to come up otherwise Iā€™ll end up in a purse holder (Volvo)
That is incredible efficiency. Interestingly, I've personally struggled with my model 3 vamp drain since 2017, tesla refuses to consider it an issue and have run diagnostics and then sent me home about a half dozen times since then. I lose 15-20% each night with all systems turned off (sentry, cabin overheat etc) and have come back from 4d trips to a dead car in the airport parking lot, twice. The rivian has vamp drain but not nearly as bad as my model 3. Nothing comes close to the chevy bolt we have though, that sat unused during the pandemic for 9 months in our driveway and lost less than 5 miles of range. It admittedly doesn't have all of the subsystems and security features, but killer bms on that thing.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Just another datapoint, in the 13 months I had my Taycan, vampire drain was effectively zero. It was definitely a different experience from my two previous Teslas, which needed to be connected to the EVSE when parked vs the Taycan which was more muscle memory/convenience. Iā€™m perfectly happy to keep the R1T plugged in in the garage after parking it (more muscle memory), but agree that the battery excessive drain is contra to the ā€œgreenā€ aspects of the vehicle. Luckily thatā€™s not my primary (or even tertiary) motivation for owning it.

Sponsored

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
That is incredible efficiency. Interestingly, I've personally struggled with my model 3 vamp drain since 2017, tesla refuses to consider it an issue and have run diagnostics and then sent me home about a half dozen times since then. I lose 15-20% each night with all systems turned off (sentry, cabin overheat etc) and have come back from 4d trips to a dead car in the airport parking lot, twice. The rivian has vamp drain but not nearly as bad as my model 3. Nothing comes close to the chevy bolt we have though, that sat unused during the pandemic for 9 months in our driveway and lost less than 5 miles of range. It admittedly doesn't have all of the subsystems and security features, but killer bms on that thing.
Maybe a bad 12v battery that keeps the car running to keep it topped off?

jffkm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
Maybe a bad 12v battery that keeps the car running to keep it topped off?
I thought that could be a problem back in 2017 so they replaced it but it didn't solve the problem unfortunately. The most frustrating thing is that they don't look at the logs at service, they just run their general battery diagnostic test which comes back green and say there's no problem. At this point, post warranty, the diags cost $400 in the bay area so it's super frustrating. it's definitely not normal based on other m3 owner experiences. I still love the car....drives like nothing else, no mechanical issues whatsoever, etc. but the vamp drain is a real pita...i am often worried about it dying completely in the driveway if it is not plugged in.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I thought that could be a problem back in 2017 so they replaced it but it didn't solve the problem unfortunately. The most frustrating thing is that they don't look at the logs at service, they just run their general battery diagnostic test which comes back green and say there's no problem. At this point, post warranty, the diags cost $400 in the bay area so it's super frustrating. it's definitely not normal based on other m3 owner experiences. I still love the car....drives like nothing else, no mechanical issues whatsoever, etc. but the vamp drain is a real pita...i am often worried about it dying completely in the driveway if it is not plugged in.
That's enough energy you should be able to point an infrared camera at it and find the offending components. The energy has to go somewhere and it's either light or heat if there's no motion happening.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I'm not going to argue with the money aspect of his video. He is spot on that for the average person this truck isn't a wise purchase. It's great, I love mine and as I trade my vehicles in every 3 years right now my plan is to trade this in for the exact same truck when the time comes. With that said all vehicles are a poor investment and I wouldn't think this truck was worth it if I had to stretch to buy it.

I think that you shouldn't put yourself into a tight spot to have something that is unnecessarily equipped. There is no real specific use case for something like a Rivian. You don't need it for towing, BEVs can't tow that far so if you're towing a lot there are better vehicles to buy. No one needs a 3.0 second 0-60 time although I love having a vehicle with one.

Where the Rivian excels for me personally is in coolness. It is an incredibly cool and fun to drive truck. Unfortunately coolness puts the R1 into the "fun" or "toy" category by my personal opinion and if you don't have 90K+ to spend on a toy your money is better spent elsewhere. To be more fair you can get a truck that is adequate for truck things for like 40K. SO if you have the money to spend 50+ on a toy and 40 on a new car you could do both with one Rivian.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm awaiting the R1T 2.0 at this point. Not throwing shade on Rivian but there's zero incentive to spend any signifigant amount of money (outside of the tonneau) to resolve the current owner concerns. May as well just roll it all into various iteratively refreshed R1Ts moving forward.

Sponsored

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Yeah I liked this video, very fair review, glad he was candid about his finances, had good points, & I noticed the melodrama in the comments, but canā€™t say I disagree with the shade they are throwing to other YouTubersā€¦hmmmmm
That's one thing that I really like about Alex, he's very truthful and upfront about his finances unlike many other Youtube "Influencers" who are deliberately vague about it.

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
I never took Kyle's videos very serious - A total EV fanatic/apologist, I wouldn't trust his viewpoints, but more importantly his reviews are all over the place, there's no organization. Alex's reviews are much much better structured, informative and genuine.

Agree with Alex regarding the cost too, he's very mature and methodical about it....I wouldn't spend that much money on any car/truck either, not that I couldn't but IMO it's too much on a depreciating asset....Good for him he was able to make a little extra on his resale.

Last edited:

Tejkalra

First Name
Tejinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Either the vampire drain has been fixed or I m not sure what setting I am on. I don't see any insane vampire drain. I did saw 2 miles gone in like 3 days. Which is almost same like my model Y. But I will take a close look on vampire drain.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I really want to like the R1, and there is a lot to like. But I cannot get past this intractable energy waste issue, so Iā€™m probably going to walk as well.
I wouldn't be so sure they can't eventually get it down to an acceptable level. After all, they got Apollo 13 home from 250,000 miles out in space on "barely enough power to run that coffee pot over there" šŸ˜

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
My take on his article, made some good points but the R1T and Lightening are well above what he is comfortable spending on a vehicle so neither weā€™re going to be permanent fixtures in his garage.
Sponsored