ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Seems like a fair follow up. I understand and can agree with his points of view on some of the topics.

Sponsored

jclicky

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Yeah I liked this video, very fair review, glad he was candid about his finances, had good points, & I noticed the melodrama in the comments, but can’t say I disagree with the shade they are throwing to other YouTubers…hmmmmm

OP
OP
ads75

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I do understand the price anxiety. Its one thing if you can get rid of a couple vehicles replaced with this, but for his case, it sounds like he still thinks he needs something that can tow long distances. I think he also has a KIA EV6, which I would guess he will keep (or maybe not). The other thing he doesn't mention, is he is a auto reviewer. I am guessing he gets loaner/press vehicles, that he can use for several days. So those would be more days where he is paying a high price for a premium vehicle but not using it. Or maybe I am over imagining the glorious life of a Auto Youtube reviewer.

Longreach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miata
Honest review of the highs and lows, including clearly identifying Rivian’s number one fatal flaw: The vampire power drain. (Refer to his earlier videos, it’s really bad)

Wasting power like that is against both the outdoors adventure theme and the carbon reduction theme which is driving the whole EV transition. It’s impractical when parked at a trail head or airport for a week or two. Not to mention the cost of wasted energy.

As he mentions, it will never be fixable because of the big processor architecture, a product of the software culture hubris driving design rather rather than a systems engineering approach. This problem also spills over into features like gear guard, something that consumes huge amounts of energy to do little more than a couple of GoPro cameras that can record hours of video using only tiny batteries.

I really want to like the R1, and there is a lot to like. But I cannot get past this intractable energy waste issue, so I’m probably going to walk as well.

Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Honest review of the highs and lows, including clearly identifying Rivian’s number one fatal flaw: The vampire power drain. (Refer to his earlier videos, it’s really bad)

Wasting power like that is against both the outdoors adventure theme and the carbon reduction theme which is driving the whole EV transition. It’s impractical when parked at a trail head or airport for a week or two. Not to mention the cost of wasted energy.

As he mentions, it will never be fixable because of the big processor architecture, a product of the software culture hubris driving design rather rather than a systems engineering approach. This problem also spills over into features like gear guard, something that consumes huge amounts of energy to do little more than a couple of GoPro cameras that can record hours of video using only tiny batteries.

I really want to like the R1, and there is a lot to like. But I cannot get past this intractable energy waste issue, so I’m probably going to walk as well.
The vampire drain is not acceptable, I agree. While I don’t think it can be eliminated, I do think it can be reduced further.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
I’ve been gone for 2 weeks and checked on my Model y a few times (thus waking it up) and it has only lost 1kw over the 2 weeks (based on remaining mileage reduction) most of which was in the first two days and has since stabilized. It was 165 miles when we left. After 1 week, 161. Still 161 miles remaining. While not a perfect measure, it’s the best baseline I can get remotely. With that, looks like Tesla (model Y) has about zero drain. Super happy about that. Hopefully Rivian can figure this out before 2024 when my number is supposed to come up otherwise I’ll end up in a purse holder (Volvo)

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

This is what I find most strange about the situation, it's not like the vampire drain results in great responsiveness. I've waited up to about 5 seconds several times for the truck to wake up when I want to turn on the climate or manually unlock/lock it. Sometimes it doesn't recognize me at the door handle until I've been there a second before opening and this is with an app running full-time in the background. My Gear Guard history is filled with clips of changing lighting conditions or objects moving in the distance likely after they've moved past the camera. I understand this is all new to Rivian and I anticipate things improving but it's not like these are industry first features.

One of Alex's points stuck with me, the truck itself may be more efficient on a trip than the Lightning until you factor in the Lightning has very little loss sitting for long periods of time. For someone like myself it isn't a huge concern as I don't drive long distance during the week and the vehicle sits on a charger until it's time for weekend errands. But I'm sure I've burned quite of bit more electricity over the last few months just keeping it topped of at 70% than I did with my Tesla.

Last edited:

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Model Y, ‘22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I’ve been gone for 2 weeks and checked on my Model y a few times (thus waking it up) and it has only lost 1kw over the 2 weeks (based on remaining mileage reduction) most of which was in the first two days and has since stabilized. It was 165 miles when we left. After 1 week, 161. Still 161 miles remaining. While not a perfect measure, it’s the best baseline I can get remotely. With that, looks like Tesla (model Y) has about zero drain. Super happy about that. Hopefully Rivian can figure this out before 2024 when my number is supposed to come up otherwise I’ll end up in a purse holder (Volvo)
Similar to my experience, if you turn off sentry mode and don’t “check in” on the app, you won’t lose much at all.

Sponsored

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T

I personally don't think the vampire drain is the fatal flaw, at least not for me. the suspension related knocking, the unbalanced tire feel that causes excess vibrations to enter the cabin, the shaking steering wheel and pulling to the right all combine to ruin the EV driving experience for me.

My trucks does lose like 3% per day which is high, but i do plug it in every night other than when I wanted to test it.

My teslas were only slightly better, still losing 2% or so per night. I have had the opportunity to own or drive for several days other EVs from traditional automakers and they practically lose nothing.

I've really started to like so much about the truck including how it looks on the inside and out but man Rivian has some hard work to do to get it to drive the way EVs (and all other cars) are supposed to drive.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

The more I watch Alex’s reviews, the more I respect his opinions.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
The vampire drain is not acceptable, I agree. While I don’t think it can be eliminated, I do think it can be reduced further.
I recently sold my Ford Lightning after 3-months of ownership. The vampire drain on mine was barely noticeable. It would lose maybe 1-2 miles of range after sitting idle for a week.

cmCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model X (Refresh)
This is what I find most strange about the situation, it's not like the vampire drain results in great responsiveness. I've waited up to about 5 seconds several times for the truck to wake up when I want to turn on the climate or manually unlock/lock it. Sometimes it doesn't recognize me at the door handle until I've been there a second before opening and this is with an app running full-time in the background.
This drives me nuts and is what I miss most about my Tesla's keyless entry. The Rivian episodically (~30% of the time) fails to recognize a new iPhone 14 Pro until it's been in front of the driver door for 5-10 seconds. When it's 10f, that's annoying.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I recently sold my Ford Lightning after 3-months of ownership. The vampire drain on mine was barely noticeable. It would lose maybe 1-2 miles of range after sitting idle for a week.
This is what I see on my Tesla M3. Few miles per day, if that, but it's improved immensely over time. Now, if the Sentry Mode is on, thats an entirely different story...

This drives me nuts and is what I miss most about my Tesla's keyless entry. The Rivian episodically (~30% of the time) fails to recognize a new iPhone 14 Pro until it's been in front of the driver door for 5-10 seconds. When it's 10f, that's annoying.
This actually happens to me pretty frequently in the Tesla - it takes a moment to "wake up" and not recognize my phone/bluetooth.
Sponsored