First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
Stumbled across this, didn't see it posted here yet. Some folks driving the R1T with a big airstream behind it, showed their charging experiences and towing stats.

Sponsored

krivo32

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Stumbled across this, didn't see it posted here yet. Some folks driving the R1T with a big airstream behind it, showed their charging experiences and towing stats.

This is us, thanks for posting. If you have any questions or suggestions of things we should add or do in our videos let me know.

OP
OP
Trekkie

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
I have no suggestions I thought it was great. I also like your t-shirt about don’t mind what I say when parking the camper.

Other than laughing at your daughter on the back drivers side getting tired of you two talking and started miming you :). That was priceless.

I thought it was great. Looking forward to more. Your charging frustrations are my biggest worry about getting the max pack whenever it comes out. Can go further but at what cost.

Solar panels and a 12v heat pump in the trailer maybe for the breaks. I have four kids myself and the struggle is real keeping a car clean with snacks.

chicagoair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Performance Max Pack
Clubs

This is us, thanks for posting. If you have any questions or suggestions of things we should add or do in our videos let me know.
Thanks for documenting your journeys, we owe a 19 foot Airstream and have been following your videos closely while we wait for our Max Pack.

Based on your experience so far, what kWh consumption would you put in A Better Route Planner to plan a trip with the Airstream?

krivo32

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
I have no suggestions I thought it was great. I also like your t-shirt about don’t mind what I say when parking the camper.

Other than laughing at your daughter on the back drivers side getting tired of you two talking and started miming you :). That was priceless.

I thought it was great. Looking forward to more. Your charging frustrations are my biggest worry about getting the max pack whenever it comes out. Can go further but at what cost.

Solar panels and a 12v heat pump in the trailer maybe for the breaks. I have four kids myself and the struggle is real keeping a car clean with snacks.
Thanks! We didn't even realize she had done that until the video was out and someone pointed it out. 😂 She was glad to hear you enjoyed her antics.

Sponsored

krivo32

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Thanks for documenting your journeys, we owe a 19 foot Airstream and have been following your videos closely while we wait for our Max Pack.

Based on your experience so far, what kWh consumption would you put in A Better Route Planner to plan a trip with the Airstream?
You are very welcome, we enjoy sharing our adventures and helping people figure out if towing with an EV is right for them.

We'd suggest entering 1.0 kWh consumption--then we aim for that number while we're driving. We can adjust our speed as needed to hold that 1.0 and know we can make it to the next charger.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Fantastic video. I just got back from a road trip through Nebraska. Denver to northern Minnesota. Unfortunately it’s in an ICE but I hope it will be in a Rivian soon. What size airstream is that? Looks big.

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
Great video and very helpful for those of us who will be towing with their Rivian.

While the capacity of the battery pack is the major limiting factor, your video as well as those posted recently by others, make it clear that the charging infrastructure is as well. I hope that by the time we're able to take delivery of our Rivian (perhaps next year if we stay with the R1T Max we presently have on order, likely sometime beyond 2024 if we change to the R1S "Longer Range" that is still being developed), the charging issues will have been largely sorted out.

With respect to range, it looks like you are averaging in the area of 1.1 mi/kWh, with which the 135kWh LR battery pack, means roughly 100 miles before needing to recharge. Is this the case? I'm hoping that we will do a bit better than that since our tow is a T@B 320, which is ligher, smaller and a bit more aerodynamic than your Airstream. Since we're retired, it's not so much the time spent recharging that's a concern, but the need to find a charger every 100 miles when traveling through more remote locations., particularly in Canada.

Again thanks for posting. Safe travels!

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
Great video!

Seeing that campground in Estes brought back fond memories of staying there in my Rockwood Roo many years ago.

Your stats showed an average speed in the mid 50s. I’m guessing since those stretches were mostly I-80 that your cruise was set about that speed (i.e. not a lot of stop & go)? Did you have any safety concerns with driving that slow? I have always towed about 65 on the interstate and was wary of towing slower for fear of being rear ended or someone hitting the camper.

krivo32

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Fantastic video. I just got back from a road trip through Nebraska. Denver to northern Minnesota. Unfortunately it’s in an ICE but I hope it will be in a Rivian soon. What size airstream is that? Looks big.
It's 30' and weighs roughly 8K. Pretty big but fits our family very well.

Sponsored

krivo32

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Great video!

Seeing that campground in Estes brought back fond memories of staying there in my Rockwood Roo many years ago.

Your stats showed an average speed in the mid 50s. I’m guessing since those stretches were mostly I-80 that your cruise was set about that speed (i.e. not a lot of stop & go)? Did you have any safety concerns with driving that slow? I have always towed about 65 on the interstate and was wary of towing slower for fear of being rear ended or someone hitting the camper.
We used the average speed indicated by the truck. Most of the time minus the stretch from Ogallala to Fort Morgan(55MPH) we did 65 and sometimes 70MPH. It's something we need to figure out how to word better so it doesn't seem like we are being slow/dangerous. We are looking into an app that may better record that stat. Any suggestions are helpful.

krivo32

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Great video and very helpful for those of us who will be towing with their Rivian.

While the capacity of the battery pack is the major limiting factor, your video as well as those posted recently by others, make it clear that the charging infrastructure is as well. I hope that by the time we're able to take delivery of our Rivian (perhaps next year if we stay with the R1T Max we presently have on order, likely sometime beyond 2024 if we change to the R1S "Longer Range" that is still being developed), the charging issues will have been largely sorted out.

With respect to range, it looks like you are averaging in the area of 1.1 mi/kWh, with which the 135kWh LR battery pack, means roughly 100 miles before needing to recharge. Is this the case? I'm hoping that we will do a bit better than that since our tow is a T@B 320, which is ligher, smaller and a bit more aerodynamic than your Airstream. Since we're retired, it's not so much the time spent recharging that's a concern, but the need to find a charger every 100 miles when traveling through more remote locations., particularly in Canada.

Again thanks for posting. Safe travels!
It's a 135kWh pack but usable is roughly 125kwh from our experience. So with that you could get 140 miles but that would be 0-100% which isn't always a good idea for multiple reasons. We roughly shoot for a 1 mi/kWh and try getting 80-90 miles so you only need 70-80% SOC. The weight of the trailer really doesn't effect range much at all and it's all about aerodynamics. So if it is more aero then you may be suprised the range you get out of it. For the time being you need to stick to major highways that have the infrastructure. If you are good with time you can always stay at a campground for a night or two and charge up then move on, but just depends on your situation and comfort level.

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
We used the average speed indicated by the truck. Most of the time minus the stretch from Ogallala to Fort Morgan(55MPH) we did 65 and sometimes 70MPH. It's something we need to figure out how to word better so it doesn't seem like we are being slow/dangerous. We are looking into an app that may better record that stat. Any suggestions are helpful.
Ah, that context makes a HUGE difference. I was worried that you were only getting that efficiency 1mi/kWh by driving super slow. Getting that while going 65-70 makes a huge difference. Maybe add an "Average Cruise Control Speed Setting" or something. It'd be more anecdotal but would better represent the real world experience.

I just took delivery this morning of my yellow R1T! I'm in Olathe so not far from you.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
You are my newest hero!

Thank you so much for posting! I saw your video recently and was trying to figure out how to reach you to ask some of the questions you have already answered. I'm going to expose myself as the total noob I am, but here goes.

1. What specific model of Airstream do you own?
2. I haven't towed anything in a very long time, and keeping reading about TW (Tongue Weight). I am guessing that your 30' Airstream is over the recommended 500lb limit. Are you using a custom hitch or other apparatus that distributes the TW load throughout the R1T suspension?
3. Any comments on how that works?
4. Have you seen or know of anyone that makes a decent electric assist hitch for uncoupling/recoupling the trailer?
4. Any comments regarding the 20" vs. 21" rims/tires?

I placed my R1T order with the idea that 3 to 5 years down the road we may sell our home and become snowbirds living in an Airstream. We would more than likely traverse between summers in Montana and winters in Arizona. For any number of reasons that may become a reality sooner than later. It will more than likely come with the 21"s, and will adjust as and if necessary when the time comes.

krivo32

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Ah, that context makes a HUGE difference. I was worried that you were only getting that efficiency 1mi/kWh by driving super slow. Getting that while going 65-70 makes a huge difference. Maybe add an "Average Cruise Control Speed Setting" or something. It'd be more anecdotal but would better represent the real world experience.

I just took delivery this morning of my yellow R1T! I'm in Olathe so not far from you.
Congrats, I was really excited on our delivery day. I would love to see the Yellow someday. My brother live in Olathe so I'll tell him to be on the lookout:)
Sponsored