krivo32

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
You are my newest hero!

Thank you so much for posting! I saw your video recently and was trying to figure out how to reach you to ask some of the questions you have already answered. I'm going to expose myself as the total noob I am, but here goes.

1. What specific model of Airstream do you own?
2. I haven't towed anything in a very long time, and keeping reading about TW (Tongue Weight). I am guessing that your 30' Airstream is over the recommended 500lb limit. Are you using a custom hitch or other apparatus that distributes the TW load throughout the R1T suspension?
3. Any comments on how that works?
4. Have you seen or know of anyone that makes a decent electric assist hitch for uncoupling/recoupling the trailer?
4. Any comments regarding the 20" vs. 21" rims/tires?

I placed my R1T order with the idea that 3 to 5 years down the road we may sell our home and become snowbirds living in an Airstream. We would more than likely traverse between summers in Montana and winters in Arizona. For any number of reasons that may become a reality sooner than later. It will more than likely come with the 21"s, and will adjust as and if necessary when the time comes.
Being a noob was exciting for us but also a bit overwhelming so hopefully we can help a bit but we are definitely not perfect. I'll answer these questions the best I can.
1. 30fbBunk
2. Ours rated for 880lbs, but I'm sure its a bit more then that. I haven't read anywhere about the recommended tongue weight being 500lbs. That was what our 2020 Model X was so I would be surprised if that was the case for the R1T. We use the Blue Ox weight distribution hitch.
3. The Blue Ox weight distribution hitch is easy to hook up and use but it came with the Airstream so I am always interested in new ones but don't really need one since it works well.
4. I'm sure the 21" rims would be more efficient and also allow for more payload but I wanted to be able to use it for off-raoding if the chance came up. If I get a chance we will do a comparison of the 20's vs 21's while towing. I would be excited about that:)

If you don't plan to do any difficult off-roading and want effiecency I would go with the 21's. We went off-roading with Kyle from Out of Spec and he has 22's and they did just fine on the difficult trail we were on, I was impressed. Thanks for the questions.
Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
2. Ours rated for 880lbs, but I'm sure its a bit more then that. I haven't read anywhere about the recommended tongue weight being 500lbs. That was what our 2020 Model X was so I would be surprised if that was the case for the R1T. We use the Blue Ox weight distribution hitch.
I stand corrected. This is from the chat I had with CS just a few minutes ago.

Rivian R1T R1S Airstream Towing w/ R1T - 500 Miles Over Flatlands and Mountains 1656106243129

He went on to mention that the information is in their information database system that they have, but not currently available through the support center on the website. He also stated he would put in a request to have the full towing information added, including the TW (Tongue Weight).

Last edited:

dixosw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Great job on the video, guys! Thanks for documenting your experience. Love the Drive Stats and look forward to more videos.
As a current Tesla owner, and future Rivian owner, I can't help but get frustrated at the Electrify America experience. Not just this video, but basically every video that involves charging a Rivian. The Rivian RAN network can't come soon enough. Will happily pay a premium to be able to charge a Rivian at a Tesla supercharger given the reliability and simplicity of the Tesla charging network. Come on Elon, please make it happen to support the mission. Become the "EV gas station" that the world needs and let EA die a slow death at the side of the road.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I stand corrected. This is from the chat I had with CS just a few minutes ago.

1656106243129.png

He went on to mention that the information is in their information database system that they have, but not currently available through the support center on the website. He also stated he would put in a request to have the full towing information added, including the TW (Tongue Weight).
Not sure why anyone would think the tongue limit is 500lbs. The Standard to balance a trailer is that the tongue weight should be 10% of the trailer weight. The manual could not state an 11000 lb trailer limit with a 500 lb tongue limit.

The manual also says the 11k is with a weight distribution hitch and only 5k with a standard hitch.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Not sure why anyone would think the tongue limit is 500lbs. The Standard to balance a trailer is that the tongue weight should be 10% of the trailer weight. The manual could not state an 11000 lb trailer limit with a 500 lb tongue limit.

The manual also says the 11k is with a weight distribution hitch and only 5k with a standard hitch.
Because I'm an idiot. Next question.

On the other hand, what is 10% of 5,000?

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Because I'm an idiot. Next question.

On the other hand, what is 10% of 5,000?
My post may have sounded more condescending than it was intended. Apologies if it did.

Most light/medium vehicles have the same 5k limit on towing without weight distribution hitches. Some heavy duty vehicles can go to 6 or 8k but that is in a different class.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
It's all good. Long tough week at the grindstone. But I've got to say, towing is a lot different now than it was back in the day.

Either that or I spent way too much time asking someone to "Hold my beer....."

CoolHandLuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
This is us, thanks for posting. If you have any questions or suggestions of things we should add or do in our videos let me know.
Steve-

I started watching this video and got sucked into all of your other Rivian videos. Nice work!

You handle that Airstream like a boss. Rented one through Outdoorsy to take through Olympic National Park last summer (towed by a Tundra) and whoa nelly, that was stressful.

Your collection of plugs / adapters is impressive and your t-shirt game is strong!

Keep the content coming!

krivo32

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Steve-

I started watching this video and got sucked into all of your other Rivian videos. Nice work!

You handle that Airstream like a boss. Rented one through Outdoorsy to take through Olympic National Park last summer (towed by a Tundra) and whoa nelly, that was stressful.

Your collection of plugs / adapters is impressive and your t-shirt game is strong!

Keep the content coming!
Thanks! We love learning new things and also enjoy camping so this was what my wife and I needed. I still think back to the time I first got an EV and thought any outlet could charge my car in no time at all so over the years I have accumulated most things that are needed for camping and EV's.
Sponsored