Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
You could definitely tell who was a forum member there

“And this tonneau is locked out, right?”

“yes they all are.”

“oh how interesting.”
They should just split out the automatic tonneau as an option. I've never had an automatic one and wouldn't mind a manual one with the adventure trim.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I’d be really curious to see if someone can track down the exact part they use for the camera module. If it’s anything less than 720p and 30fps then we’re f*cked because it’ll be a hardware restriction that no software fixes will get around. I am also somewhat optimistic because it seems like an easy enough part to upgrade, unless there are other sensors in there that we don’t know about.
Probably an issue with whatever they’re using for multiplexing.

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
I’d be really curious to see if someone can track down the exact part they use for the camera module. If it’s anything less than 720p and 30fps then we’re f*cked because it’ll be a hardware restriction that no software fixes will get around. I am also somewhat optimistic because it seems like an easy enough part to upgrade, unless there are other sensors in there that we don’t know about.
Unlikely to be upgradable hardware in any practical way. It's not just one camera. There's several all around the truck. Those same cameras are used for self driving system. So perhaps its a resolution processing limitation.

If there was a hardware revision, it would involve removing many of the exterior panels to get to the cameras. Rivian will certainly have to address it in later builds. But I wouldn't count on any hardware back portability, if that is where the bottleneck actually is. It's a shame because the screens are so nice. Then you put the truck in reverse and you look at 2005 ebay surveillance camera footage.

The camera's were my number one issue with the Model X and I never ended up buying one partly because of that. I was sold on it until I put the X in reverse. Such a big van, like 9 cameras all around, and the only camera you get to see was one rear. Meanwhile my 5 series had HD 360 degree soundview in 2012. Somehow the video quality has seemingly been afterthought with Tesla and Rivian. Or... at least not a priority. and I'll admit most buyers probably won't care all that much.

Last edited:

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
You guys are all spoiled?
I have spent the last 12 years driving a Jeep with completely faded out plastic windows and no cameras whatsoever. I go in reverse by “feel”.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Unlikely to be upgradable hardware in any practical way. It's not just one camera. There's several all around the truck. Those same cameras are used for self driving system. So perhaps its a resolution processing limitation.

If there was a hardware revision, it would involve removing many of the exterior panels to get to the cameras. Rivian will certainly have to address it in later builds. But I wouldn't count on any hardware back portability, if that is where the bottleneck actually is. It's a shame because the screens are so nice. Then you put the truck in reverse and you look at 2005 ebay surveillance camera footage.

The camera's were my number one issue with the Model X and I never ended up buying one partly because of that. I was sold on it until I put the X in reverse. Such a big van, like 9 cameras all around, and the only camera you get to see was one rear. Meanwhile my 5 series had HD 360 degree soundview in 2012. Somehow the video quality has seemingly been afterthought with Tesla and Rivian. Or... at least not a priority. and I'll admit most buyers probably won't care all that much.
Can't be any worse than my Monet camera out of my 2021 4Runner. :CWL:

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I have spent the last 12 years driving a Jeep with completely faded out plastic windows and no cameras whatsoever. I go in reverse by “feel”.
I too enjoy the feel of driving over the neighborhood kids.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

You may have nailed the issue. Typically you don't need all the pixels for the self driving system. They may be reducing the camera resolution down to what is used for the self driving system and just relaying it back to the center screen for users to see.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
You may have nailed the issue. Typically you don't need all the pixels for the self driving system. They may be reducing the camera resolution down to what is used for the self driving system and just relaying it back to the center screen for users to see.
Yup, agree that this might be the key issue that @time flagged. I don't know enough about camera sensors but I wonder if self-driving systems prioritize fps over resolution, or some other lesser-known camera function that lends itself to compromise on resolution. Sigh.

Well if any of us buys your 12-yo Jeep, you're welcome to rub our privilege in if we bring up cameras. But for an $80k+ vehicle in 2022, we have every right to complain :p.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
There could be workarounds with OTA updates for camera issue. If it is a problem with processing power bandwidth as I suspect it is, software could give user some options to reduce the frame rate and resolution of other cameras and bump up the one you are most concerned about. If you have a questionable rock on the right side or up front even stoping and having a still high res shot will do. You get my drift.

Sponsored

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
We went to the First Mile Event today. Overall, it was a great time and we are still all in. Here are a few of my thoughts.

1. Its a tank. Way different than my current EV, Mini Cooper, maybe not as fun to whip in and out of traffic with, but fun none the less. It was fast, but you certainly felt the weight.

2. The test drive was waaaaaay too short and since it was primarily off-road, it was hard to figure out how it will be in real world driving. Kind of a bummer. They would only let you take it to 60 mph, that's not even freeway speeds. I feel like I need a real test drive on real roads before I drop $80k.

3. It handled the off-road portion with ease.

4. Yeah, the cameras aren't great. Makes me wonder if it was another "Chip shortage" sacrifice and will they be improved in the nearish future.

5. The screens weren't too laggy. At least when I played with them.

6. The rear seats were quite roomy and comfortable. Overall, the interior is really nice. I wish the steering wheel was a little beefier. We will Stick with Black Mountain.

7. I am a little worried about the gear tunnel doors and how the plastic will hold up. I can see the seat/foot step getting the hell scratched out of it. Also, the storage inside the seat/step is cool but the door into it seemed a little flimsy.

8. The tent is more comfortable than my own bed. (I think I need a new bed).

9. All the colors are good, but I am sticking with Compass Yellow. It looks a lot different in real life.

10. I want to see the R1S and sit in it before I make any final decisions. I am kind of bummed my bikes won't fit on the racks over the bed. That was one of the main reasons I wanted the truck. If I am going to need a hitch rack, I might prefer the R1S for the interior room. It might be nice to be able to seat 7 every once in a while. I guess it depends on if I can fit all my camping gear in it in various seating configurations.

Overall, I am still really excited to get my Rivian. It is an amazing vehicle.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

turbome

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
This is a little off subject but after doing the first mile drive I went to my configurator to check some things and noticed that the added underbody skid plates and tow hooks are shown as an added option on my LE. I could be wrong but I seem to recall that these were originally included with the LE. Does anyone remember the same thing or am I crazy? Looking at the LE list compared to the adventure, just looks like only the wheel upgrades are included, the LE yellow trim and badging and that's it. I seem to recall more than that when I placed the order back in 2019.

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
This is a little off subject but after doing the first mile drive I went to my configurator to check some things and noticed that the added underbody skid plates and tow hooks are shown as an added option on my LE. I could be wrong but I seem to recall that these were originally included with the LE. Does anyone remember the same thing or am I crazy? Looking at the LE list compared to the adventure, just looks like only the wheel upgrades are included, the LE yellow trim and badging and that's it. I seem to recall more than that when I placed the order back in 2019.
Yes they made them optional and dropped the price accordingly quite a while ago.
Sponsored