Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

For anyone that wants to browse aftermarket wheel options, I’ve done a ton of this lately and I’ve found this website to be a very good resource, with good prices.
Just don't exceed 18mm offset, otherwise they will likely rub. Reminder, more offset is a lower offset number. Hence, 18mm is less offset than 15mm offset. 15 mm offset will stick out further than an 18mm offset and will likely rub. If you want less offset and can find a wheel that bolts onto the truck and clears the calipers, the you can choose higher offset numbers, meaning less offset (they will stick out less). Stock is 48mm, 18mm is what I've determined as the max without rubbing and that's with 275/60/20 tires (same diameter/circumference as the stock tires for Rivian's 21" and 22" wheel offerings). 20mm is the maximum if you choose to keep the stock tire size. Anything with a higher offset number than 20 that will fit and clear the calipers will allow you to run stock tire sizes. And all of the above are referring to "+" offset numbers. "-" negative offset numbers will stick out by a mile and look silly and rub like crazy. So be sure to only choose positive "+" offset numbers.

Note: Using the website link above to search for wheels, despite setting a maximum offset of 25mm, the results list still shows wheels with 15mm, 12 mm, 10mm, etc. They will bolt onto the truck, but will stick out too far and cause rubbing. It appears to be a helpful list, just be sure to look at the offset numbers for each wheel and make sure they are 18mm max. (any + number higher works too). Any lower offset number will likely rub.
Sponsored

Last edited:

waitinUntil2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Just don't exceed 18mm offset, otherwise they will likely rub. Reminder, more offset is a lower offset number. Hence, 18mm is less offset than 15mm offset. 15 mm offset will stick out further than an 18mm offset and will likely rub. If you want less offset and can find a wheel that bolts onto the truck and clears the calipers, the you can choose higher offset numbers, meaning less offset (they will stick out less). Stock is 48mm, 18mm is what I've determined as the max without rubbing and that's with 275/60/20 tires (same diameter/circumference as the stock tires for Rivian's 21" and 22" wheel offerings). 20mm is the maximum if you choose to keep the stock tire size. Anything with a higher offset number than 20 that will fit and clear the calipers will allow you to run stock tire sizes. And all of the above are referring to "+" offset numbers. "-" negative offset numbers will stick out by a mile and look silly and rub like crazy. So be sure to only choose positive "+" offset numbers.

Note: Using the website link above to search for wheels, despite setting a maximum offset of 25mm, the results list still shows wheels with 15mm, 12 mm, 10mm, etc. They will bolt onto the truck, but will stick out too far and cause rubbing. It appears to be a helpful list, just be sure to look at the offset numbers for each wheel and make sure they are 18mm max. (any + number higher works too). Any lower offset number will likely rub.
https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...2=65&wheel_size=20&wheel_width=8.5&offset2=30

here is a super handy site so you can calculate the exact amount of 'poke' and even visualize it. I had some 20x9 +18 offset wheels put on with 275/65/20 tires and they definitely rub on the "Low" setting when I hit any sort of mild bump in the road (driving straight or while turning). i am not comfortable with that kind of rub so here are my options, I think:
- bite the bullet and size down a tire (from 34" to 33"), seems that would solve the issue, but I sill kinda worry if I'm offroading and do a hard compression turn that they still might rub
- get new wheels and keep my 34" tires that are brand new: I'm calling my Rivian service center daily and trying to get in touch with someone who can just straight up sell me a set of 20" wheels ONLY
- eyeballing some these: https://www.trailbuiltoffroad.com/b...hino-arsenal-20x85-30?suspension=Leveling+Kit, since they are the closest thing to the OEM wheels i can find without spending more than 800/wheel .. using the site I mentioned above, they only poke out 0.71" vs. the 1.43" poke I have going on right now

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...2=65&wheel_size=20&wheel_width=8.5&offset2=30

here is a super handy site so you can calculate the exact amount of 'poke' and even visualize it. I had some 20x9 +18 offset wheels put on with 275/65/20 tires and they definitely rub on the "Low" setting when I hit any sort of mild bump in the road (driving straight or while turning). i am not comfortable with that kind of rub so here are my options, I think:
- bite the bullet and size down a tire (from 34" to 33"), seems that would solve the issue, but I sill kinda worry if I'm offroading and do a hard compression turn that they still might rub
- get new wheels and keep my 34" tires that are brand new: I'm calling my Rivian service center daily and trying to get in touch with someone who can just straight up sell me a set of 20" wheels ONLY
- eyeballing some these: https://www.trailbuiltoffroad.com/b...hino-arsenal-20x85-30?suspension=Leveling+Kit, since they are the closest thing to the OEM wheels i can find without spending more than 800/wheel .. using the site I mentioned above, they only poke out 0.71" vs. the 1.43" poke I have going on right now
Yes, same thing I recommended when recommending the 275/60/20 tire, which is a 33 inch tire instead of 34 with the 275/65/20 stock size. The 21 and 22 inch options from Rivian have 33 inch tires. The 34 inch tires, in my own opinion, look to big for the truck. Aside from that, if you want custom wheels, then they actually ARE too big for the truck. Pirelli makes a tread matching all-terrain tire in 275/60/20 for about half the cost and performs just the same.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I'd go down a size like above. I have the 275/60R20 Nokian Outpost ATs and even at lowest suspension I don't get rubbing. I don't normally drive at that level, but wanted to try it out. I do think the poke from +19 offset is a bit more aggressive than I would normally want, but it is totally doable.

waitinUntil2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yes, same thing I recommended when recommending the 275/60/20 tire, which is a 33 inch tire instead of 34 with the 275/65/20 stock size. The 21 and 22 inch options from Rivian have 33 inch tires. The 34 inch tires, in my own opinion, look to big for the truck. Aside from that, if you want custom wheels, then they actually ARE too big for the truck. Pirelli makes a tread matching all-terrain tire in 275/60/20 for about half the cost and performs just the same.
ahh, sorry if i just reposted something that originated from you ... yeah I think I'm going to settle on 33" on a set of Raceline Scouts (20x9 +18 offset)...thanks for all the research info!

Sponsored

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
I'd go down a size like above. I have the 275/60R20 Nokian Outpost ATs and even at lowest suspension I don't get rubbing. I don't normally drive at that level, but wanted to try it out. I do think the poke from +19 offset is a bit more aggressive than I would normally want, but it is totally doable.
Any pics with the Nokian Outposts?

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Any pics with the Nokian Outposts?
Just put them on over the weekend. Will do a long-ish trip this weekend to see how they compare to the stock 21s for efficiency. I have done the same trip 10 times or so in all different weather conditions, so I should have a pretty good comparison.

Rivian R1T R1S Aftermarket Wheels Installed on R1T... 20230203_171842314_iOS

Pictures on Standard ride height
Rivian R1T R1S Aftermarket Wheels Installed on R1T... 20230211_220547107_iOS

Rivian R1T R1S Aftermarket Wheels Installed on R1T... 20230211_220231988_iOS

Rivian R1T R1S Aftermarket Wheels Installed on R1T... 20230211_220340448_iOS

Rivian R1T R1S Aftermarket Wheels Installed on R1T... 20230211_220414632_iOS

On Lowest ride height
Rivian R1T R1S Aftermarket Wheels Installed on R1T... 20230211_220723279_iOS

Rivian R1T R1S Aftermarket Wheels Installed on R1T... 20230211_220738721_iOS

M00v0vr

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T MY
Occupation
entrepreneur/ski race coach

I'm thinking of going with the same black rhino wheel for my snows. can you post a pic if you get them installed?

vogtaction

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1t
Occupation
Sales
Got my Rivian two weeks ago now. After reading through a ton of these threads I'm on the same page as kizamybute. We have similar tastes and ideas. I also have had three Tesla's all with aftermarket wheels with much wider offsets and widths than stock. After having these heavy torque grinding EVs for the last 5 years, I know it's cheaper in the long run to just buy a cheap set of tires, because brand doesn't matter, you will burn through them in no time either way. I actually ran American Racing Wheels distributorship in St Louis for 10 years selling aftermarket wheels to Tire dealerships through out Missouri/Illinois regions so very familiar with anything to do with wheels and tires. I agree that the 34in tire just looks too big on the Rivian sized truck. I do understand going that route if going to be doing a lot of off-roading though. I have the 21 in stock wheels and first ordered 1 inch adapters to bring the wheels out a little. I do this with all my vehicles if not putting aftermarket on them. I decided that I wanted an All Terrain tire though so looking at 22s now. (Not taking off road much, just a mall crawler basically) The 275 50 22 in AT is too expensive and with a +15-18mm offset wheel, might have some rubbing issues anyway. I've seen them on the stock wheel and they look great, but not spending that much for an OEM wheel set. My only real choice with the lower offset and not too wide of wheel I found is a 22x9 Dodge Ram Replica with +15-20mm depending on the brand. There are a couple that make them. Here is a link to one of them,
https://www.discountedwheelwarehous...139-7-20mm-78-1mm-usa2129229513920781bmf.html

It's hard to find many styles in 22x9, and don't want to go any wider as I like the tire to poke off the wheel a little and not be stretched, plus don't need the wheel coming any further out than need be. I'm going to go with a 285 45 22 All Terrain which is about 32.10" tall tire. A little smaller than I want, but think it will look just fine with the more aggressive stance of the wheel anyway and should clear easily in lowest mode. I've pulled up similar sized trucks like the Ranger and Tacoma with this tire size, and they look great. My only worry is the caliper clearance, but should be fine, if not will use a slim spacer. Will update the thread once I order and install. I'm having trouble finding stock on the black/machined version that I really want, so might have to settle for all black instead.

Sponsored

waitinUntil2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
sorry for late reply, but i went with Thurens lol...went with Cooper ATP IIs and have had a super quiet ride on the streets and pretty capable off-roading.

vogtaction

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1t
Occupation
Sales
@vogtaction Wow, that website has great prices. Have you used them before?
I have not, but yes, their prices aren't bad. I have friends still in the wheel business, so plan on getting the all black version for $232 each locally. The only machined/ black option I found in stock is around $370 each on eBay. That company I posted the link of , don't have the machined version and are month or two out on them. I'm still trying to make my mind up on what to buy.

Nilator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE (LAS/BM/20)
Just put them on over the weekend. Will do a long-ish trip this weekend to see how they compare to the stock 21s for efficiency. I have done the same trip 10 times or so in all different weather conditions, so I should have a pretty good comparison.

20230203_171842314_iOS.jpg

Pictures on Standard ride height
20230211_220547107_iOS.jpg

20230211_220231988_iOS.jpg

20230211_220340448_iOS.jpg

20230211_220414632_iOS.jpg

On Lowest ride height
20230211_220723279_iOS.jpg

20230211_220738721_iOS.jpg
What’s the 1-month update on new efficiency?

They def look great!

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
What’s the 1-month update on new efficiency?

They def look great!
I am seeing a pretty significant increase in consumption (at least in my opinion), about 22% more. It hasn't been an issue for any of my trips thus far, but should definitely be considered. The weight of the new wheel and tire is only 0.6 lb more than the OE 21" wheel and tire, so the difference must be due to compound and aero hit due to the offset. I'm probably going to run them for a little longer before switching back to the 21s, but may also have some offroad trips this summer where I will put them back on. Honestly if I didn't have the 21s, I probably would be fine running them all the time, but seems wasteful to me if I don't actually need the more aggressive tires.

Nilator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE (LAS/BM/20)
I am seeing a pretty significant increase in consumption (at least in my opinion), about 22% more. It hasn't been an issue for any of my trips thus far, but should definitely be considered. The weight of the new wheel and tire is only 0.6 lb more than the OE 21" wheel and tire, so the difference must be due to compound and aero hit due to the offset. I'm probably going to run them for a little longer before switching back to the 21s, but may also have some offroad trips this summer where I will put them back on. Honestly if I didn't have the 21s, I probably would be fine running them all the time, but seems wasteful to me if I don't actually need the more aggressive tires.
Thanks for the helpful report, hopefully owners will keep posting their experiences just like this! 👊🏼
Sponsored