R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Wheels/tires sticking out from the fenders is common on almost all 4x4's that have custom wheels. But, they're always raised up so it's not so obvious. Not a bad look if at the right ride height. I still would really have loved to see what this setup looked like at the higher ride height setting. I think it would be night and day. Might actually look pretty good.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
Clubs

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
I wouldn't mind getting some wider wheels with less offset if I could lock out the lower ride height settings and have the warm fuzzy that I (or software/update) wouldn't accidently switch to a lower setting.

Sponsored

Airbuswillie

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Model 3, ‘99 Suburban, ‘24 GMC1500 AT4
Occupation
Airline pilot
Oh wow those are absolutely awful! How can anyone, anyone at all see that and like it OR think that the figment is good. Way to ruin a perfectly good truck. Congratulation.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Oh wow those are absolutely awful! How can anyone, anyone at all see that and like it OR think that the figment is good. Way to ruin a perfectly good truck. Congratulation.
Does Millington, TN ring a bell? 🤣

Airbuswillie

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Airline pilot
Does Millington, TN ring a bell? 🤣
Oh no is that where the shop is located? I skipped thru just to see the truck and missed any info about the shop. And hell yea Millington rings a bell! Redneck central. I live in Memphis and saw this identical truck last week at a Memphis Redbirds game. I wonder if it’s the same one since I e only spotted one in town so far?

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Oh no is that where the shop is located? I skipped thru just to see the truck and missed any info about the shop. And hell yea Millington rings a bell! Redneck central. I live in Memphis and saw this identical truck last week at a Memphis Redbirds game. I wonder if it’s the same one since I e only spotted one in town so far?
No, but it is where NAS/NATT Memphis was (or still is). For the uninitiated, here is what Main Street looked like in the 1970's. Bar, bar, strip club, dry cleaners, bar, laundromat, strip club, dry cleaners, bar, bar, bar, 7-Eleven, dry cleaners. So yeah - redneck central.

Airbuswillie

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Airline pilot
No, but it is where NAS/NATT Memphis was (or still is). For the uninitiated, here is what Main Street looked like in the 1970's. Bar, bar, strip club, dry cleaners, bar, laundromat, strip club, dry cleaners, bar, bar, bar, 7-Eleven, dry cleaners. So yeah - redneck central.
I only remember from the 80’s to know. My dad flew C-9’s out of their in the Reserves when I was little. More fast food places now but still a lot of bars and dry cleaners.

Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
I only remember from the 80’s to know. My dad flew C-9’s out of their in the Reserves when I was little. More fast food places now but still a lot of bars and dry cleaners.
I was there with the jarheads. I wanted to fly but they closed the program I had been offered. I ended up at Millington in Avionics School as I could chew gum and walk at the same time. I graduated with good marks and had my choice of duty stations. As I was raised in California, I wanted to get back to something familiar. I ended up at El Toro working on Phantom F-4 weapons system electonics. I got very bored, very quickly being in an underground, guarded bunker all day and asked about a possible transfer. I ticked somebody off by asking and was transferred to a helicopter squadron at MASH (Marine Air Station Helicopter) Santa Ana, and then rotated to 'Nam. Good times! 🤣

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
In this thread it details the process. I gave Variant 5 styles I liked in the off road world and this is what I ended up liking.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...-pattern-construction.4365/page-6#post-157100

IMG20220603161032.jpg
Appreciate you sharing the process, details and photos. The wheels look great.

Elsewhere in this thread you mention that this setup is less likely to rub than the stock 20“ wheels though your diagrams show the tire closer to the fender lip (sounds like it's 16mm). I would have thought that increases the likelihood of some scraping under compression in sport mode. Is that not the case?

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Appreciate you sharing the process, details and photos. The wheels look great.

Elsewhere in this thread you mention that this setup is less likely to rub than the stock 20“ wheels though your diagrams show the tire closer to the fender lip (sounds like it's 16mm). I would have thought that increases the likelihood of some scraping under compression in sport mode. Is that not the case?
I think the real issue with rubbing is how close the inner tires are to the suspension, so balancing the 3.6mm increase in distance from the suspension with the new wheels to how much track width increase you have. Rivian simply didn't get the wheel dimensions right on AT tires and 20's, that's my take as of now driving the truck with the new wheels.

You absolutely can get it to rub (now) on medium to full rake coming into a driveway, but not nearly as much as before. I had three pre and post install tests.

• Freeway to freeway 70mph onramp which has a compression dip while moderately banking left. I could get it to rub in standard height on All Purpose and hit harder on low and lowest in Conserve mode. I could not get it to rub with the new wheels in the exact same scenario on the same day.
  • Coming into a relatively steep driveway with 50%-80% wheel turn. I would get a solid rub normally and now an instant light fender (inner) contact and done.
  • Sport mode compression dip rub on low setting. It rubs with both wheels, albeit contact is less with new wheels.
It's relatively empirical I know....but I'm convinced so far that it is far less....but not eliminated. There simply isn't a way to eliminate it in my opinion. One could stick with an 8.5" width but pull the wheels out 3.5mm from the suspension and that might be better....but I like the wider track and look with the wheels/tires pushed out just below the edge of the fenders.....

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I think the real issue with rubbing is how close the inner tires are to the suspension, so balancing the 3.6mm increase in distance from the suspension with the new wheels to how much track width increase you have. Rivian simply didn't get the wheel dimensions right on AT tires and 20's, that's my take as of now driving the truck with the new wheels.
If you're all about empirical evidence, get some 3.6mm spacers for the OEM wheels.