Sponsored

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

I am seeing a pretty significant increase in consumption (at least in my opinion), about 22% more. It hasn't been an issue for any of my trips thus far, but should definitely be considered. The weight of the new wheel and tire is only 0.6 lb more than the OE 21" wheel and tire, so the difference must be due to compound and aero hit due to the offset. I'm probably going to run them for a little longer before switching back to the 21s, but may also have some offroad trips this summer where I will put them back on. Honestly if I didn't have the 21s, I probably would be fine running them all the time, but seems wasteful to me if I don't actually need the more aggressive tires.
Going from 22’s to aftermarket 20’s, I’m sure my range has decreased a similar amount. But around the same time, Rivian’s updates have increased everyone’s range.

I’m not super concerned with the range loss because I rarely take the truck on road trips. But I just did take it on one that required several charging stops. Those stops would’ve been required with any of the wheel/tire options, but they would’ve been shorter if I were on 21’s or 22’s. This is insignificant to me.

I used to think that I’d switch back to the 22’s for road trips. But now I’m not sure about that because most of my road trips are going to include off road adventures in the Rivian, where 21’s or 22’s would be worthless.

The ride quality is so much better on the 20’s, I’m not sure if I’ll ever switch back. I also enjoy not being worried about damaging a wheel on a curb or pothole. I’ll probably switch back at some point just to see if I still prefer the 20’s.

Tire noise was another thing that I expected to be a major downgrade going from the 22’s to 20’s, but it hasn’t been so far. I can think of two reasons for this: 1. My BFG AT tires are still new, and the real noise difference will occur later, when they’re more worn out; 2. Although the AT tires have a louder tread, they also have a taller sidewall, which absorbs some of the noise.
Sponsored

Eexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla P3D, Tesla PYD, Tundra, FK8 CTR
Occupation
Tooth puller
Owned my R1T for 2 weeks and wasn’t sure if I was going to keep it at first or sell it to my friend. After 2 weeks have decided to keep the truck and ordered a set of custom forged wheels from Signature wheels. Went with a set of 20” SV602 in royal gold color and takes 5-6 weeks to get to my door. I’ve ordered Signature wheels from the sales rep Jamie for my Toyota Tundra, Model Y and Model 3 in the past. Top notch wheels and customer service.
Gonna go with the stock 20” Pirelli Scorpion Rivian spec tires since they are 10 lbs lighter than the standard 10 ply E-rated AT tires out there with the mountain snowflake symbol.

Will update with pics when I install them and hopefully have my EV1 rockslider steps at the same time.

Last edited:

F123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Help, suggestions, or advice, please!
I bought a used R1T, ~15,000 miles on it, 21" standard wheels and tires. The tires need replacing sooner rather than later. I have a strong preference for dark/black wheels, ideally ones that don't look like flower petals.

Ride comfort, quietness, and range are all important to me. Off-roading isn't important, although I'm on gravel roads not infrequent.

What would you recommend? Just get another set of the standard Pirellis, or maybe something like this? Or is there a better option? Price matters as well...

Thank you for any thoughts!

Rivian R1T R1S Aftermarket Wheels Installed on R1T... IMG_1729

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Strongly recommend against standard Pirellis. They wear extremely fast and are not a good compound for this heavy of a truck. Can’t wait for mine to wear out.

My most likely next tire will be Nokian Outpost AT. They are almost always the lightest LT tire in a given size (for ATs).

F123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Strongly recommend against standard Pirellis. They wear extremely fast and are not a good compound for this heavy of a truck. Can’t wait for mine to wear out.

My most likely next tire will be Nokian Outpost AT. They are almost always the lightest LT tire in a given size (for ATs).
Any particular tires that you'd suggest for a good all season, quiet, and not much all-terrain need?

Sponsored

RivianDeac

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge

Do think non-OEM Pirelli’s will fare better, as is often the case?

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Any particular tires that you'd suggest for a good all season, quiet, and not much all-terrain need?
Unfortunately haven’t done much research on AS tires.

Do think non-OEM Pirelli’s will fare better, as is often the case?
Definitely! I’m looking for something E load range with a 55,000 mile treadwear warranty or better.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Help, suggestions, or advice, please!
I bought a used R1T, ~15,000 miles on it, 21" standard wheels and tires. The tires need replacing sooner rather than later. I have a strong preference for dark/black wheels, ideally ones that don't look like flower petals.

Ride comfort, quietness, and range are all important to me. Off-roading isn't important, although I'm on gravel roads not infrequent.

What would you recommend? Just get another set of the standard Pirellis, or maybe something like this? Or is there a better option? Price matters as well...

Thank you for any thoughts!

IMG_1729.png
There have been positive reports of the Cooper AT3s holding up well at high pressure (60psi) and maintaining shape over some miles. I’m planning on going that route when I switch to 20s.

But the wheels - yikes. This is a very heavy truck with a 5-lug pattern. Some people are running them with bore inserts. I personally would not, and would run a wheel with a bore specific to this truck.

F123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Wonder if or when more tire manufacturers will make 21s for this truck. Sounds like that's what I should look for, and maybe just get Pirellis for the next round, since I've got 21" wheels.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Just put them on over the weekend. Will do a long-ish trip this weekend to see how they compare to the stock 21s for efficiency. I have done the same trip 10 times or so in all different weather conditions, so I should have a pretty good comparison.

20230203_171842314_iOS.jpg

Pictures on Standard ride height
20230211_220547107_iOS.jpg

20230211_220231988_iOS.jpg

20230211_220340448_iOS.jpg

20230211_220414632_iOS.jpg

On Lowest ride height
20230211_220723279_iOS.jpg

20230211_220738721_iOS.jpg
These are satin black, yeah? Where did you get the caps from?

I'm working on my winter tire build right now and picking up some Ram 2363 wheels tomorrow for cheap🤞

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
These are satin black, yeah? Where did you get the caps from?

I'm working on my winter tire build right now and picking up some Ram 2363 wheels tomorrow for cheap🤞
These are coated in Prismatic Powders Graphite Black I(1). They also have the same color in flat, Graphite Black, and high gloss, Graphite Black II(2). I like that it isn't a plain black, it has some metallic, which to me makes it look more OEM.

The center caps are generic caps from Amazon with a two layer logo I made using my wife's Cricut.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CPF1918/

I had those coated as well, though I would caution you that they aren't the best plastic, and the oven needs to be turned down to the minimum temp for the powder to cure in order to not melt them.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

These are coated in Prismatic Powders Graphite Black I(1). They also have the same color in flat, Graphite Black, and high gloss, Graphite Black II(2). I like that it isn't a plain black, it has some metallic, which to me makes it look more OEM.

The center caps are generic caps from Amazon with a two layer logo I made using my wife's Cricut.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CPF1918/

I had those coated as well, though I would caution you that they aren't the best plastic, and the oven needs to be turned down to the minimum temp for the powder to cure in order to not melt them.
I found some center caps that match 99.9% to my new paint! I'm ambivalent on doing vinyl logos though. Do you have the file for your logos? I can send to my sis and get her to print, then I can try them.

Thanks!
Sponsored