Aftermarket Truck Bed Extender?

Herson

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rt1
Hi - has anyone sourced an aftermarket Truck Bed Extender that will work with the R1T? A Rivian employee said they will NOT be able to offer one because of industry compliance reasons (brake lights etc). I need one to haul my 10' longboards! Thx
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Hi - has anyone sourced an aftermarket Truck Bed Extender that will work with the R1T? A Rivian employee said they will NOT be able to offer one because of industry compliance reasons (brake lights etc). I need one to haul my 10' longboards! Thx
I don't see what compliance issue they'd have.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
There are 3rd party options on Amazon that use the hitch. Example:

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Also not clear on the compliance issue... but on the recommendation of @drhnbtx, I grabbed one of these: Sheett – Loadd USA. Seems like a good solution for your longboards or similar items, pending a proper bed extender (a cab-height rack would also do the trick, I imagine...

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
I don't see what compliance issue they'd have.
I wonder if he was thinking about the requirement to have redundant brake/tail lights on the bumper if the primaries are mounted on a movable panel like a hatchback? There are lots of vhicles that have these like the Bolt, Audi SUVs, etc that become active if the hatch is open. If so that clearly doesn’t apply to the R1T since part of the brake lights remain on the bed sides when the tailgate is down, otherwise the whole reason for the gooseneck hinge is defeated ‘cause you couldn’t drive with the tailgate down.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5