Sponsored

Aftermarket manual tonneau - anyone know of one in the works?

inconceivable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Hey all,
Just wondering if anyone knew of any aftermarket manual tonneau covers in the works for the R1T. The one that will eventually ship from the factory seems _okay_ but would love other options. Maybe one that folded or rolled up?

Perhaps some of our site sponsors are working on one?
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Iā€™ve not heard of anyone planning to offer one, but when they (site sponsors) ask I have suggested it to each of them. Although I am curious to see what Rivianā€™s version actually is. There have been very few reports of how it looks, works, storesā€¦ Maybe they hit a home run with it?

Last edited:

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

Sponsored

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Iā€™ve not heard of anyone planning to offer one, but when they (site sponsors) ask I have suggested it to each of them. Although I am curious to see what Rivianā€™s version actually is. There have been very few reports of how it looks, works, storesā€¦ Maybe they hit a home run with it?
I still havenā€™t heard/seen anyone get a manual tonneau yet. For now, arenā€™t all trucks being delivered with ā€œnakedā€ tracks that are the same that have been built in from the beginning?

OP
OP

inconceivable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I still havenā€™t heard/seen anyone get a manual tonneau yet. For now, arenā€™t all trucks being delivered with ā€œnakedā€ tracks that are the same that have been built in from the beginning?
Yep.

Am curious what the rivian manual version will be like when it arrives. From the description it sounds like itā€™ll slide in to the existing tracks, which makes me think it will need to be opened/closed by sliding the whole thing in/out the back by the tailgate. Thatā€™s just a guess, though. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

That sort of approach will work well to open/close it when you have things over the bed, but wouldnā€™t be as convenient as a folding/rolling option IMHO. (Considering i donā€™t plan on having things on top of the bed often)

But again, thereā€™s a lot of assumptions being made with that statement.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tesla M3P / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer
Yep.

Am curious what the rivian manual version will be like when it arrives. From the description it sounds like itā€™ll slide in to the existing tracks, which makes me think it will need to be opened/closed by sliding the whole thing in/out the back by the tailgate. Thatā€™s just a guess, though. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

That sort of approach will work well to open/close it when you have things over the bed, but wouldnā€™t be as convenient as a folding/rolling option IMHO. (Considering i donā€™t plan on having things on top of the bed often)

I'm hoping it might be a multi-panel type design, maybe like 4 panels? You'd slide a panel into the tracks, then the next panel would interlock, etc., and something like that would be reasonable to store, or maybe even allow you just to run a couple of panels, so you'd have an open section (which you could put something tall).

Or you could flip each panel over, and up near the cab, have them sort of stacked, with maybe some kind of lock down bracket across the panels (not unlike the cargo bars).

I've got a reservation in, will likely be '24 for delivery, but I've been thinking that even if they do offer a revised automatic tonneau, a manual option might be a better / less prone to failure option, especially for us, where we wouldn't be opening/closing it all that much.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
Someone recently posted than tonneau are "worthless". Well, after 30+ years of many expeditions of driving umpteen trucks, I can tell you that they are not worthless. We've all had the need to stop at a Walmart, gas station, etc. I've had many instances where I'm either a) alone, or b) my co-rider has had to stay with the vehicle to guard numerous high value items in the bed of the truck. Neither scenario is optimal. A locked tonneau eliminates this concern unless (see commentary below regarding shells).

Tonneau covers are a beloved luxury for me, a longtime truck owner. I've seen R1T concepts for bed shells and they look quite promessing. I'm not a fan of the shell look on pickups - but I've had them on many trucks and they do serve their purpose. Goes without saying, but shells allow you to lock high value items that won't fin under a tonneau (bikes, etc.)

If (and, when) a quality aftermarket R1T shell becomes available, I will be in the market for one.

Last edited:

jbowen52

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Durango and Porsche Panamera
Occupation
Aerospace Support Engineer
Someone recently posted than tonneau are "worthless". Well, after 30+ years of many expeditions of driving umpteen trucks, I can tell you that they are not worthless. We've all had the need to stop at a Walmart, gas station, etc. I've had many instances where I'm either a) alone, or b) my co-rider has had to stay with the vehicle to guard numerous high value items in the bed of the truck. Neither scenario is optimal. A locked tonneau eliminates this concern unless (see commentary below regarding shells).

Tonneau covers are a beloved luxury for me, a longtime truck owner. I've seen R1T concepts for bed shells and they look quite promessing. I'm not a fan of the shell look on pickups - but I've had them on many trucks and they do serve their purpose. Goes without saying, but shells allow you to lock high value items that won't fin under a tonneau (bikes, etc.)

If (and, when) a quality aftermarket R1T shell becomes available, I will be in the market for one.
Check out the DIY Temporary Tonneau / bed cover thread. A couple guys have tried a trifold cover meant for a Ford Maverick and it looks pretty good to me. I may cancel my manual tonneau order. I have used a trifold for years with a RAM truck. The manual tonneau seems like more work to install and remove than the trifold. It is a lot cheaper as well as a bonus.

Sponsored

jbowen52

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Durango and Porsche Panamera
Occupation
Aerospace Support Engineer
Yep.

Check out the DIY temporary tonneau/ bed cover thread. A couple guys have used a trifold tonneau meant for a Ford Maverick that seems to be a good option.

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
Hey all,
Just wondering if anyone knew of any aftermarket manual tonneau covers in the works for the R1T. The one that will eventually ship from the factory seems _okay_ but would love other options. Maybe one that folded or rolled up?

Perhaps some of our site sponsors are working on one?
Wish something would happen soon so I donā€™t end up buying one then a better more weather proof one comes out. Really want a cover but hate to spend money for an inferior one.

OP
OP

inconceivable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Wish something would happen soon so I donā€™t end up buying one then a better more weather proof one comes out. Really want a cover but hate to spend money for an inferior one.
Iā€™m in a similar boat. Iā€™d like to get one, but am only interested in a quality weatherproof/secure (within reason) one that fits right.

I might wait for either the rivian one or see what @EV Sportline teased us about earlier in the thread when theyā€™re ready to reveal more!

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

Iā€™m in a similar boat. Iā€™d like to get one, but am only interested in a quality weatherproof/secure (within reason) one that fits right.

I might wait for either the rivian one or see what @EV Sportline teased us about earlier in the thread when theyā€™re ready to reveal more!

was working on the tonneau today :)
Sponsored