Sponsored

Aero Wheel Covers/Inserts for 22" Wheels

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I imagine the biggest part of the range hit on the 20s and 22s is the tires, rather than the wheels. Putting aero covers on is likely only worth the effort when using efficiency-focused tires.
Rivian had crabon aero inserts on the 20” wheels of their show prototypes.

but not production vehicles. As you say, the tires likely have a larger effect than such inserts can offset.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Rivian had crabon aero inserts on the 20” wheels of their show prototypes.

but not production vehicles. As you say, the tires likely have a larger effect than such inserts can offset.
You are comparing apples and oranges. The tires are less efficient because of higher rolling resistance (tread pattern) and they are heavier and require more rotation momentem. Aero inserts would change the aerodynamic efficiency, irrespective of rolling resistance.

One of the most important single factors for highway efficiency of EVs is aerodynamic drag. Reducing that drag would add efficiency. In a heavy, generally inefficient vehicle like the R1T, any added efficiency savings should be welcome.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You are comparing apples and oranges. The tires are less efficient because of higher rolling resistance (tread pattern) and they are heavier and require more rotation momentem. Aero inserts would change the aerodynamic efficiency, irrespective of rolling resistance.

One of the most important single factors for highway efficiency of EVs is aerodynamic drag. Reducing that drag would add efficiency. In a heavy, generally inefficient vehicle like the R1T, any added efficiency savings should be welcome.
If the tires cost 10% efficiency, but inserts for those wheels only gain 2%, are inserts worthwhile?

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

If the tires cost 10% efficiency, but inserts for those wheels only gain 2%, are inserts worthwhile?
In the absence of data you are free to speculate about any amount of efficiency gain from inserts and make your own decision on what would be worth it to you.

Given the gains that have been reported anecdotally, I think it is likely closer to 5% or more and that would be worth it for me under the right conditions.

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
21” wheel with covers and a more range friendly tire yields a 21 mile difference vs. the 22” per the Rivian website. I’ll be generous and say half is due to aero wheels and half is due to tires. That’s 10 miles for aero wheels, max. I think it more has to do with tire, wheel diameter and weight.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In the absence of data you are free to speculate about any amount of efficiency gain from inserts and make your own decision on what would be worth it to you.

Given the gains that have been reported anecdotally, I think it is likely closer to 5% or more and that would be worth it for me under the right conditions.
rivian themselves must’ve determined aero inserts weren’t worthwhile with the all terrain wheels/ tires - that‘s all I was saying. 🤷‍♂️

here‘s the inerts on the show prototype.
Rivian R1T R1S Aero Wheel Covers/Inserts for 22" Wheels 1658688989998

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

rivian themselves must’ve determined aero inserts weren’t worthwhile with the all terrain wheels/ tires - that‘s all I was saying. 🤷‍♂️

here‘s the inerts on the show prototype.
1658688989998.png
Fair enough, although it is pure speculation as to why they didn't include them in production. The ones in the image look like they have to be snapped in individually which looks like a pain in the ass. That's a potential reason.

They killed a lot of features from the show prototypes, including my beloved power and 180 degree tailgate. Ultimately, the 20's may not see much benefit - to your point - but we can't know without data.

The point of this thread though was the 22's which I think could end up with a practical amount of benefit considering the benefit on the 21's.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fair enough, although it is pure speculation as to why they didn't include them in production. The ones in the image look like they have to be snapped in individually which looks like a pain in the ass. That's a potential reason.

They killed a lot of features from the show prototypes, including my beloved power and 180 degree tailgate. Ultimately, the 20's may not see much benefit - to your point - but we can't know without data.

The point of this thread though was the 22's which I think could end up with a practical amount of benefit considering the benefit on the 21's.
They were either removed because cost or complexity outweighed the benefits of having them. Probably the former.

“time is money and I have neither” as the saying goes 🫠

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

The important point here is that this is an empirical question and we need empirical testing.

Preferably from someone who understands the scientific method and doesn't just make unbearably long videos that are inherently flawed scientifically.
Spitballing again here- Verus have shown on other platforms that their front wheel deflectors have a measurable effect on reducing drag. Perhaps these, combined with a well designed aero cover could produce a more impactful increase in efficiency than covers alone.

Quoting Verus: "The goal of the front wheel deflectors is to reduce airflow hitting the front tires and making its way into the wheel well. By doing so, we are able to reduce drag and reduce the lift that is generated in this area of the vehicle's underbody."

Checking the Munro video of the R1T on the hoist, there are deflectors present from the factory, but they are rather small, presumably to maximize off-road approach angle and minimize impacts on rocks and stuff. But if on-road efficiency is the goal, which is clearly the case for most who are choosing the 21s and 22s and those who still want to run 20" ATs but maximize efficiency even marginally over stock, perhaps a larger front deflector could be proven to be effective?

Rivian R1T R1S Aero Wheel Covers/Inserts for 22" Wheels Snap 2022-07-25 at 09.36.34

Rivian R1T R1S Aero Wheel Covers/Inserts for 22" Wheels Snap 2022-07-25 at 09.37.40

The carbon inserts on that early prototype R1T with ATs could be a worthy product for the aftermarket if people are willing to pay a premium to maximize efficiency on the 20s (myself included). CFD validation testing is key here, and Verus has shown their prowess in this area with a full range of aero products for enthusiasts and entire packages that have succeeded in big time attack events with professional racers, most notably Ken Block's new Pikes Peak monster.

Once this platform gets a good 3D scan from a reputable company who are willing to prototype and validate aero parts, things will get a lot more interesting!

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Spitballing again here- Verus have shown on other platforms that their front wheel deflectors have a measurable effect on reducing drag. Perhaps these, combined with a well designed aero cover could produce a more impactful increase in efficiency than covers alone.

Quoting Verus: "The goal of the front wheel deflectors is to reduce airflow hitting the front tires and making its way into the wheel well. By doing so, we are able to reduce drag and reduce the lift that is generated in this area of the vehicle's underbody."

Checking the Munro video of the R1T on the hoist, there are deflectors present from the factory, but they are rather small, presumably to maximize off-road approach angle and minimize impacts on rocks and stuff. But if on-road efficiency is the goal, which is clearly the case for most who are choosing the 21s and 22s and those who still want to run 20" ATs but maximize efficiency even marginally over stock, perhaps a larger front deflector could be proven to be effective?

Snap 2022-07-25 at 09.36.34.png

Snap 2022-07-25 at 09.37.40.png

The carbon inserts on that early prototype R1T with ATs could be a worthy product for the aftermarket if people are willing to pay a premium to maximize efficiency on the 20s (myself included). CFD validation testing is key here, and Verus has shown their prowess in this area with a full range of aero products for enthusiasts and entire packages that have succeeded in big time attack events with professional racers, most notably Ken Block's new Pikes Peak monster.

Once this platform gets a good 3D scan from a reputable company who are willing to prototype and validate aero parts, things will get a lot more interesting!
Excellent post and really great eye on the Sandy video. I am out of my depth here but my intuition tells me that the deflector would have to be larger and shaped in a very specific way to reduce drag, and not increase it.

This seems like a very doable 3D printing exercise.