SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Haven't seen any discussion of this concept anywhere else so I thought I would start a thread.

For those of us who want the added handling dynamics of the 22" over the 21" and aren't doing any serious off-roading, aero inserts/covers to squeeze out as much range as possible would be a welcome option.

Also seems like something like this could be 3D printed. Thoughts?
Sponsored

EzMev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old SUV
I know next to zero about this, but looking at the wheel, there is no negative space in the center like the 21". Maybe you could make 5 individual pieces that snap in?

I guess until we get data on 21" with and without aero's its a crap shoot if the effort is worth it...

And on another, somewhat related not, not sure I have seen a 100%-0% test with 22's...in conserve mode, my wild guess is right in the middle of 20's (~290) and 21's (~330) so something like 310? Would aeros make sense if it got you to 315 for example? Not sure...

Rivian R1T R1S Aero Wheel Covers/Inserts for 22" Wheels Rivian 22_ wheels on R1T R1S 5

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I know next to zero about this, but looking at the wheel, there is no negative space in the center like the 21". Maybe you could make 5 individual pieces that snap in?

I guess until we get data on 21" with and without aero's its a crap shoot if the effort is worth it...

And on another, somewhat related not, not sure I have seen a 100%-0% test with 22's...in conserve mode, my wild guess is right in the middle of 20's (~290) and 21's (~330) so something like 310? Would aeros make sense if it got you to 315 for example? Not sure...

Rivian 22_ wheels on R1T R1S 5.jpg
Excellent points all around. I was thinking that you might need to have individual pieces that snap in. I have been eagerly awaiting someone with the 22's to do a range test in conserve mode to give us an approximation of what we can expect.

Also, a range test with and without the aero covers for the 21's would be very welcome.

Paging Alex On Autos...

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

I'd be equally interested in a set of aero covers for the 20" ATs. I already emailed Rimetrix about them and they said they had no plans to offer Rivian wheel covers. :(

They have decent data backing up their products effectiveness.

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I'd be equally interested in a set of aero covers for the 20" ATs. I already emailed Rimetrix about them and they said they had no plans to offer Rivian wheel covers. :(

They have decent data backing up their products effectiveness.
I wasn't even thinking about the 20's but that actually makes even more sense given the range loss.
You have to think that there would be a significant market for aero covers in a vehicle that needs every efficiency, especially if it is towing.

For daily driving, I wouldn't be all that enthused about having the covers on, but for road trips or towing, I would absolutely do it. Every mile counts.

Sponsored

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

I wasn't even thinking about the 20's but that actually makes even more sense given the range loss.
You have to think that there would be a significant market for aero covers in a vehicle that needs every efficiency, especially if it is towing.

For daily driving, I wouldn't be all that enthused about having the covers on, but for road trips or towing, I would absolutely do it. Every mile counts.
My thoughts exactly!

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Every Mile Counts™

Now where are my investors? We can have different patterns and color combinations, including stealth, carbon fiber, and a photoshopped limestone...

Kickstarter, here we come.

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

Every Mile Counts™

Now where are my investors? We can have different patterns and color combinations, including stealth, carbon fiber, and a photoshopped limestone...

Kickstarter, here we come.
I've been poking my friends at Verus Engineering, who are industry experts in the world of performance aero for racing applications. They've got the know-how and the in-house machinery to jump into EV aero parts from end to end, CFD validation testing included. Just need more Rivians on the road to make it worth the R&D, first step being getting an R1 into their Indianapolis shop to check out.

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I've been poking my friends at Verus Engineering, who are industry experts in the world of performance aero for racing applications. They've got the know-how and the in-house machinery to jump into EV aero parts from end to end, CFD validation testing included. Just need more Rivians on the road to make it worth the R&D.
That's what I'm talking about! Let them know Rivian is ramping up production, baby! If they get in early they will absolutely corner the market. The R1T is just the tip of the iceberg. Electric trucks are the future and I'm sure the Ford Lightning could also benefit from aero covers.

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
I imagine the biggest part of the range hit on the 20s and 22s is the tires, rather than the wheels. Putting aero covers on is likely only worth the effort when using efficiency-focused tires.

Sponsored

rivian_panda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Genius, Millionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist
ID be down for some covers if it gives me about 25 miles of range on 22.

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

ID be down for some covers if it gives me about 25 miles of range on 22.
25 on 22? I'll take that all day and that would translate to ~8% efficiency boost which is not crazy.

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
There is not 20 miles to be gained from aero covers. 5-10 is my assumption. It should be similar to the gain on the 21” wheels which I haven’t seen formally tested. For reference on a Tesla model 3 aero covers save maybe 3-5% and that’s a much more efficient vehicle and the aero impact has a bigger impact on range.

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I imagine the biggest part of the range hit on the 20s and 22s is the tires, rather than the wheels. Putting aero covers on is likely only worth the effort when using efficiency-focused tires.
What you are looking for here is low-rolling resistance. RIVIAN partnered with Pirelli to create a lower rolling resistance version of an existing AS tire that also has an XL load rating. I believe you likely have maxed out the rolling efficiency for this type of tire with the exception of increasing the rolling resistance further by over inflating the tire.

That leads to harsher ride and increased wear, but for road trips it may be feasible.

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

There is not 20 miles to be gained from aero covers. 5-10 is my assumption. It should be similar to the gain on the 21” wheels which I haven’t seen formally tested. For reference on a Tesla model 3 aero covers save maybe 3-5% and that’s a much more efficient vehicle and the aero impact has a bigger impact on range.
I am going to challenge you on this. The larger the diameter of the wheel, the more surface area and impact it will have with respect to wind drag and efficiency. I don't think you are going to get much more than 5% reduction using aero covers, but even that can translate to 15-25 miles depending on your driving conditions (conserve, 70 and below mph, ambient temperature, etc.).

The important point here is that this is an empirical question and we need empirical testing.

Preferably from someone who understands the scientific method and doesn't just make unbearably long videos that are inherently flawed scientifically.

Paging Alex on Autos, or other good samaritans on this forum who have the 21's with and without aero covers to help answer these questions.
Sponsored