SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

This is the same as Tesla aero covers. They vibrate at speed. Inevitable. Wheel sold to use cover. Removing cover is not how OE designed it. Therefore, it’s normal and within spec.

I removed aero covers in Model Y at 18 miles. Still faint marks but others in TMC have it worse for those who left them on. Recommended to use PPF or painters tape where they mount for temporary use for long trips.
Are you talking about the Tesla covers not being designed to be removed or the R1T ones?

If you are talking R1T, I beg to differ, otherwise they wouldn't be so easily removable and held by clips. They are clearly designed to be removed and reinstalled without tools, by hand, and at will.

Otherwise, RIVIAN would have designed the wheel itself to be aero. All the covers do is give you the option to choose when you want the aero vs not.
Sponsored

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Are you talking about the Tesla covers not being designed to be removed or the R1T ones?

If you are talking R1T, I beg to differ, otherwise they wouldn't be so easily removable and held by clips. They are clearly designed to be removed and reinstalled without tools, by hand, and at will.

Otherwise, RIVIAN would have designed the wheel itself to be aero. All the covers do is give you the option to choose when you want the aero vs not.
Not designed in the sense that it’s sold to have them on and EPA rating is with them installed.

IRun

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Model 3
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

Anyone find a decent solution?
PPF? I have scraps left from the Twraps door edge package, maybe a little too thin for permanent solution.
3M interior weather sealing tape? Pretty thick stuff and sticks well, trim off the excess
Sand down the ridges on the aero covers?

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I would use this on the backside of the aero covers. Maybe tape off the clip areas.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Do y’all think these solutions might help at all?

Bottom is a cloth gaffers tape. Top is a light weight door weather strip (maybe glue them in?)

IDK if it’s vibrating enough to strip off paint, I can’t imagine these “protective” layers would matter. But I’m thinking just taking off the sharp edge might help?

About to put 1,000 miles in.

Rivian R1T R1S Aero Covers May Potentially Damage 21" Wheels 449D90AA-9BCA-48A2-849C-6BDD8597BC1B

Sponsored

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Do y’all think these solutions might help at all?

Bottom is a cloth gaffers tape. Top is a light weight door weather strip (maybe glue them in?)

IDK if it’s vibrating enough to strip off paint, I can’t imagine these “protective” layers would matter. But I’m thinking just taking off the sharp edge might help?

About to put 1,000 miles in.

449D90AA-9BCA-48A2-849C-6BDD8597BC1B.jpeg
No clue, but definitely report back! Good Luck!

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
All my aero covers come loose, slightly. A quick tap clips them back in, but not cool, IMO.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
anyone else's aero covers come out multiple times a week? usually they pop out from the center and it's a quick tap to pop it back in to place, but happens multiple times a week on multiple wheels.

Last edited:

Jgriff023

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Rivian, is refusing to fix this. Saying the aerocover should not be removed, and removing the aerocover is considering this "modifications". Therefor I am on the hook.

Rivian R1T R1S Aero Covers May Potentially Damage 21" Wheels 70604569024__CCD74996-3471-4E03-A161-58F62F972958

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We have the same issue, but to a lesser extent. We took Factory Delivery of our R1T on April 26, 2023. We drove the vehicle back to Florida (850 miles) with the Aero Covers on. We got some minor scuffing. It was minor enough that I was able to buff it out. The Aero Covers are now permanently stored in a remote corner of the garage unlikely to see the light of day again.

I think that the 21's are somewhat frumpy looking with the Aero Covers. Without the Aeros, I think that the 21's are the best looking wheels that Rivian offers.

Brian

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Rivian, is refusing to fix this. Saying the aerocover should not be removed, and removing the aerocover is considering this "modifications". Therefor I am on the hook.

70604569024__CCD74996-3471-4E03-A161-58F62F972958.jpeg
That response from Rivian is such 🐴💩! The covers are specifically designed to be removed, otherwise they would be attached in a completely different way.

The PSA is - remove the covers the moment you get your truck during inspection and make sure there is no existing damage. Then keep them off...
Sponsored