Sponsored

Advice on how to do my snow tire set up - questions from a skiing flatlander

bjcleaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco FE, Tesla Model Y, R1T
For peace of mind, get the winter tires. Worst case you’ll extend the life of the ATs. I had a local tire shop mount them on the same wheels. If you have the money and storage space a second set of wheels is nice.
Sponsored

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Hi all - I am finally getting my R1s. I have 20ATs configured, and am in flatland metro NY but I ski the Adirondacks and Catskills 20-30 days per year (yes hold the snark about how I should move too the mountains, please).

Given what I have seen, I am leaning heavily to running snow tires say December to April. I am reasonably intelligent but not mechanically trained.

How do I do it? Do I buy a cheap set of rims and get the snow tires, then pay an installer? Instead do I keep one set of rims and have the tire folks change out the tires on the rims 2x per year (to Blizzak LT in fall and to Rivian AT tires in Spring)? What is cheaper? What is more efficient in time? If over five years it is a difference of a few hundred dollars, I would go with more time efficient.

I currently have an AWD CRV and have almost never had an issue, but that is a light car and particularly in bad conditions I am a defensive driver that leaves plenty of following room.

Many thanks in advance. (PS I am actually on Long Island but it would not let me select NY so I did CT).

PS
I have the 22" not the 20" in rims so not sure if this helps, but I recently got the Nokian Hakkapelitta 10 SUV tires installed on my OEM rims. These are studded winter tires. I'll be the first to admit this is overkill for the Seattle area but I do a lot of trips up north in pretty dreadful road conditions as well as hit the skihill pretty often, and as luck would have it these were cheaper than the non-studded version Nokian offers (long story). Not sure if you would want/need to go with something this aggressive but I can tell you from the first few trips in the snow that these tires plus snow mode take the R1S to a completely different level from a snow capability perspective. I've always had winter tires and AWD vehicles but these things + the Rivian are just sick. I'll probably write a more comprehensive review later.

deonb

First Name
Deon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 & Model S, Rivian R1T, Ford F350
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have the 22" not the 20" in rims so not sure if this helps, but I recently got the Nokian Hakkapelitta 10 SUV tires installed on my OEM rims. These are studded winter tires. I'll be the first to admit this is overkill for the Seattle area but I do a lot of trips up north in pretty dreadful road conditions as well as hit the skihill pretty often, and as luck would have it these were cheaper than the non-studded version Nokian offers (long story). Not sure if you would want/need to go with something this aggressive but I can tell you from the first few trips in the snow that these tires plus snow mode take the R1S to a completely different level from a snow capability perspective. I've always had winter tires and AWD vehicles but these things + the Rivian are just sick. I'll probably write a more comprehensive review later.
Hi!

Now that you've driven them for a few weeks, how are they driving on just regular pavement here? Are they very noisy, have a deep impact to range etc.?

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Hi!

Now that you've driven them for a few weeks, how are they driving on just regular pavement here? Are they very noisy, have a deep impact to range etc.?
Sure here is a quick update...
1) Traction - Pretty much God mode.
2) Noise - Noisy (because of the studs)
3) Range - Strangely very little impact. Not sure why.

Overall. Total overkill for Seattle area as I already knew. Go studless if you have the option would be my recommendation. I'll probably remove the studs at some point but it's a bit of a pain in the a$$

deonb

First Name
Deon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 & Model S, Rivian R1T, Ford F350
Occupation
Software Engineer

Overall. Total overkill for Seattle area as I already knew. Go studless if you have the option would be my recommendation. I'll probably remove the studs at some point but it's a bit of a pain in the a$$
Yeah, I know, I know... But then there was this one time when we were covered in ice last year where only the studs would have helped...

I think however what will put me over the edge is that the passes still generally have snow until April (sometimes May), but we're only allowed to run studs until March.

Sponsored

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Yeah, I know, I know... But then there was this one time when we were covered in ice last year where only the studs would have helped...

I think however what will put me over the edge is that the passes still generally have snow until April (sometimes May), but we're only allowed to run studs until March.
Ya I remember that ice storm. The Rivian would have been one of the only vehicles on the road with these tires. You are absolutely right about the November to March limit for studs though, so I think studless is the right call.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
If I do a winter tire swap, will the local shop (Discount Tire, Les Schwab etc) reprogram my TPMS for me or is that something Rivian has to do?

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
If I do a winter tire swap, will the local shop (Discount Tire, Les Schwab etc) reprogram my TPMS for me or is that something Rivian has to do?
The tire shop should be able to do it. I've done it a couple of times now. I went to Les Schwab. The only thing you might have to advise them on is making sure that it's in 'Tire Change Mode' before they start the tire change. The procedure is basically put it to off road, highest setting then go into service settings and turn on 'tire change mode' or something of the like.

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

You'll be fine with the 20s.
Oh absolutely! And if gets too icy, then just lock up those brakes, pull your tuke over your eyes and ride that Rivian like a toboggan straight to the ski hill, for sure. It’s the Minnesota way, eh?

Last edited:
OP
OP

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Hi!

I'll reply! I got the Blizzaks and seem to drive just as nicely and quietly as the 20ATs. Very surprising. in a good way.

gt3mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 Tesla S90D, 21 Jeep Gladiator, 04 GT3

We don't have our R1S yet, but I have many years of experience with several models of studded Hakkas on large vehicles. They are amazing tires. My advice is leave the studs alone and just drive. You'll be used to the little bit of extra noise from them very quickly. You got those tires for winter traction up in the mountains when it counts. That was smart. When you are in a situation where you need the studs, you'll be really unhappy if you removed them.
Sponsored

Last edited: