First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT PE, Rivian R1T, Nissan Titan, Mazda CX-3
Occupation
Self employed
I have a tire that has a slow leak, never loses any air while driving but when I get home and park overnight, it tends to lose 10-15 psi every day now for the past 10 days. I just fill it up before I leave in the morning and repeat the next day. I called Rivian service and they are sending out a mobile tech next week. I am a little wary that a mobile tech can diagnose or fix this issue and they did not provide any cost for the service. Should I continue with the appointment with Rivian or should I just take it to my local tire shop (I do have the Rivian jack pucks from RIVIGEAR) for repair.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Guessing you have something in the tire. Would be news to me if Rivian mobile techs had tire machines in their vans, but I know such a thing does exist.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Sounds like you picked up a nail or screw. Either can be repaired rather easily by a tire shop or by Rivian tech.

If done correctly, tire plugs are effective and can last long term.

OP
OP

Fezzik

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT PE, Rivian R1T, Nissan Titan, Mazda CX-3
Occupation
Self employed
Sounds like you picked up a nail or screw. Either can be repaired rather easily by a tire shop or by Rivian tech.

If done correctly, tire plugs are effective and can last long term.
I have checked visually extensively and cannot see any nail or screw (does not mean it's not there) I just question whether mobile tech will be able to do anything different?

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
I would consider these two things...

1. Tire shop employee is an expert (hopefully) at diagnosing tire problems and fixing them.

2. Rivian Mobile tech is a jack of all trades and probably not a master at tire repair.

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
I have checked visually extensively and cannot see any nail or screw (does not mean it's not there) I just question whether mobile tech will be able to do anything different?
Throw some soapy water on the valve stem, or around the tire if that doesn't bubble up.

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Or just take the tire off and put it in a plastic tote of water, rotate it and see where it bubbles. I've done that many times.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Take it to a tire shop and they can likely fix (so long as the problem is in the tread and not sidewall) for less than $20. You won't get anywhere near that price from Rivian.

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
10-15 psi is not small, especially for the size of Rivian tire. 2-3 psi would be small leak. Go to tire shop ASAP before you overheat and cause internal damage to the tire.
Sponsored