Adventure vs Explore R1S

OP
OP

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Wait, so the bigger battery 180 kWh is slower 0-60 than the smaller battery 135 kWh? Doesn’t make sense.

What size is the “large battery pack” that goes 300 miles, that is the only one available right now?
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Wait, so the bigger battery 180 kWh is slower 0-60 than the smaller battery 135 kWh? Doesn’t make sense.

What size is the “large battery pack” that goes 300 miles, that is the only one available right now?
That is what was the 135 kw pack that is in the LE.

I just got this from CS;

While the battery will affect acceleration, the tires will as well! We're working on our EPA certifications for our tires to share all the numbers and can give you an exact number at that time. The difference will be small, so I'll be very impressed if you notice it!

The 300+ range battery paired with the 22" sport wheels will give you the closest to the 3.0 0-60 time!

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer

The bigger battery pack will be heavier. Also, the limiting factor for 0-60 accleration is always the tire's friction coefficient. With a coefficient of 1.0, which no street tires actually have, the maximum accleration is 1g, or 32.2 ft/sec^2. Which comes in at just under 3 seconds for 0-60. Dragsters, Nascars and Indy cars have tires with friction coefficients above 1.0. Unfortunately, higher firction results in less range.

James

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MDX, ACCORD
Occupation
Retired Teacher, Reading Coach
The Meridian upgrade is probably worth 2-3 grand itself. The wood trim is incredible. Air compressor and Bluetooth speaker are included too. The ventilated seats are also an upgrade.
The total value seems reasonable for the cost.

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
Thanks for pointing this out. I had forgotten that this is one of the few options available. I'm certain I'd experience FOMO regrets if I went with the Explore, put up the $2,000 to get the underbody security, grew $2,000 closer to the fully-equipped Adventure model, yet still missed out on all the whistles, sirens, music, trim, and seat upgrades. Again, I understand budgets and the desire to keep the cost down, but that difference shrinks as you pick each additional accessory.

To each, their own, but I want to avoid looking back on what could have been.
This is my outlook on it. I’ve grown too accustomed to my cooled seats to give them up, and what’s an extra $7k on a $70k vehicle? ?

Sponsored

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
This is my outlook on it. I’ve grown too accustomed to my cooled seats to give them up, and what’s an extra $7k on a $70k vehicle? ?
i live in TX, and the ventilated (hopefully with AC) is a must. Hope not like Tesla did on our X with just horrible little fans that sucked (literally).

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
i live in TX, and the ventilated (hopefully with AC) is a must. Hope not like Tesla did on our X with just horrible little fans that sucked (literally).
Sorry to have to tell you but Rivian has stated the seats are ventilated, not cooled.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Sorry to have to tell you but Rivian has stated the seats are ventilated, not cooled.
Yep.

I had actively cooled seats in my Sierra (Peltier/thermoelectric) and they do get colder, but they're also larger energy hogs and the coils can freeze up and then the system stops producing any cooling action until you turn it off and let it defrost. The system is basically a small "window" AC unit mounted in the seat back. Another downside is that they exhaust heat, so the passenger sitting behind the front seat occupant gets their knees baked with hot air.

GM switched to a more simple ventilated system after a couple years. Honestly, I find the ventilated system to be superior. The peak cooling is reduced a little, but it's much more consistent, quieter, more reliable, more power efficient, and doesn't make other passengers uncomfortable. Assuming you run the A/C and condition the cabin to a comfortable temperature, then the seat ventilation will both move heat away from your lower back, but also draw in the cool cabin air.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
That's your tax incentive.

Chris S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Model 3 Perf, '19 MX-5 Club, '22 Model Y Perf
Occupation
REALTOR
Question is if the doors will open and close with a touch of the button like Tesla.
I sure hope not, as it would mean more weight, more stuff to potentially break, and more unnecessary use of battery capacity.

Sponsored

jcook01

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Ford Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
I'm hoping that black pillars and head liner are an option with the less expensive Explorer package. I doubt we'd ever go offroad, butt fans aren't needed (we have them now in our Cherokee and don't usually use the) about the only option I'd add to an explore package would be black pillars/head liner and the better audio system, all of the rest we don't need.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I'm hoping that black pillars and head liner are an option with the less expensive Explorer package. I doubt we'd ever go offroad, butt fans aren't needed (we have them now in our Cherokee and don't usually use the) about the only option I'd add to an explore package would be black pillars/head liner and the better audio system, all of the rest we don't need.
I talked to CS about that. It will not be an option.

Leo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Alfa Romeo Giulia Quad. Range Rover, Infinti
I too am constantly going back and forth trying to justify the Adventure package. The main draws for me are the Meridian sound system the cooled seats and the bluetooth speaker. Living in the Pacific Northwest, cooled seats are a nice to have but not needed. The Bluetooth speaker? cool but nothing to make a decision over. The upgraded interior? Better fake leather and materials i've never heard of won't move the needle so that leaves only the Meridian. Not worth the massive premium. Regardless, I still think about it but as of now, I'm sticking with the Explore.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I too am constantly going back and forth trying to justify the Adventure package. The main draws for me are the Meridian sound system the cooled seats and the bluetooth speaker. Living in the Pacific Northwest, cooled seats are a nice to have but not needed. The Bluetooth speaker? cool but nothing to make a decision over. The upgraded interior? Better fake leather and materials i've never heard of won't move the needle so that leaves only the Meridian. Not worth the massive premium. Regardless, I still think about it but as of now, I'm sticking with the Explore.
I'm so glad you revived a year-old thread to share that gem.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I like your post Leo. I have the same feelings. I am also sticking with the Explore Package. I don't really want to spend an extra $3,000 on a bunch of junk that I don't even like.

Brian
Sponsored

Reactions: Leo