Sponsored

Adventure vs Explore R1S

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I’m looking at the price difference between the adventure and explore edition. With a black exterior and a black interior, the Adventure is $79,000. The Explore, without the OffRoad Upgrade, is $71,500. I’m not even sure I will need the two hooks and compressor that comes with the Off-road Upgrade, unless someone convinces me that it’s worth it for $2000. So do you not have a cover for the underbody if you do not select this option?

So the $7500 difference is essentially having black pillars and roof color on the Explore interior vs white color on the Adventure interior. Explore doesn’t allow me to select all black interior. Seats are all vegan so it’s literally just the lines on the seat. The only other difference is the wood trim is nicer on the Adventure vs the plain matte trim on the Explore. But I don’t know if that’s worth the $7500 difference. Same 300 mile range battery pack and exterior look. Has anyone else compared the two. I’d love your perspective.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I’m looking at the price difference between the adventure and explore edition. With a black exterior and a black interior, the Adventure is $79,000. The Explore, without the OffRoad Upgrade, is $71,500. I’m not even sure I will need the two hooks and compressor that comes with the Off-road Upgrade, unless someone convinces me that it’s worth it for $2000. So do you not have a cover for the underbody if you do not select this option?

So the $7500 difference is essentially having black pillars and roof color on the Explore interior vs white color on the Adventure interior. Explore doesn’t allow me to select all black interior. Seats are all vegan so it’s literally just the lines on the seat. The only other difference is the wood trim is nicer on the Adventure vs the plain matte trim on the Explore. But I don’t know if that’s worth the $7500 difference. Same 300 mile range battery pack and exterior look. Has anyone else compared the two. I’d love your perspective.
The biggest difference is Meridian 360 premium sound, ventilated seats, passenger lumber adjustments, and the extra off road protection that is sturdier and goes bumper to bumper on the Adventure package.

There are probably going to be some other little things but we probably won’t know until final specs are released.

If you do not do much off-road and do not care about the premium audio, it might not be worth it to you.

When comes time to sell, it will probably make the adventure more desirable but I doubt you would get much of that premium back on the used market.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

The biggest difference is Meridian 360 premium sound, ventilated seats, passenger lumber adjustments, and the extra off road protection that is sturdier and goes bumper to bumper on the Adventure package.

There are probably going to be some other little things but we probably won’t know until final specs are released.

If you do not do much off-road and do not care about the premium audio, it might not be worth it to you.

When comes time to sell, it will probably make the adventure more desirable but I doubt you would get much of that premium back on the used market.
sanzco2, Well-stated. I’d agree that all of the interior upgrades are just preferences. But as you said, if off-roading is in the picture, the underbody armor could be the difference between surviving a blow or not. For me, the roughly ten percent additional cost is worth it, but I certainly understand why the Explorer version may be perfect for others, especially if the rocks are off limits.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It’s a personal choice, of course. What do you value in a vehicle?

For me, the Adventure is a no-brainer. I would never consider the Explore. I want the nicer dash, premium audio, ventilated seats, lumbar, and underbody shield.

Headingley

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5 35d
Occupation
Surgeon
Now thats it is getting closer to actually committing on model and features more and more people will be doing these relative value comparisons. I actually think the explore has better overall value. However, for me, this is a luxury item and I know that after spending this much money I will likely regret not getting the vehicle fully featured (ie. adventure package/launch edition), despite my belief in less overall value. I'm struggling more with the size of the battery ATM.

Last edited:

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
sanzco2, Well-stated. I’d agree that all of the interior upgrades are just preferences. But as you said, if off-roading is in the picture, the underbody armor could be the difference between surviving a blow or not. For me, the roughly ten percent additional cost is worth it, but I certainly understand why the Explorer version may be perfect for others, especially if the rocks are off limits.
The Off-Road Upgrade can be added to the Explore package for $2k without having to jump up to the Adventure package.

OP
OP

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I did not know there are ventilated seats and premium audio with Adventure.

I am excited about this. Almost got Model X but have never liked their design. This is a real SUV EV. Question is if the doors will open and close with a touch of the button like Tesla.

Last edited:

James

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MDX, ACCORD
Occupation
Retired Teacher, Reading Coach
Any thoughts about the Bluetooth speaker being in both models?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
This is a real SUV EV. Question is if the doors will open and close with a touch of the button like Tesla.
That button is called the door handle.

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

The Off-Road Upgrade can be added to the Explore package for $2k without having to jump up to the Adventure package.
Thanks for pointing this out. I had forgotten that this is one of the few options available. I'm certain I'd experience FOMO regrets if I went with the Explore, put up the $2,000 to get the underbody security, grew $2,000 closer to the fully-equipped Adventure model, yet still missed out on all the whistles, sirens, music, trim, and seat upgrades. Again, I understand budgets and the desire to keep the cost down, but that difference shrinks as you pick each additional accessory.

To each, their own, but I want to avoid looking back on what could have been.

Last edited:

Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Almost got Model X but have never liked their design. This is a real SUV EV. Question is if the doors will open and close with a touch of the button like Tesla.
That button is called the door handle.
The automatic opening and closing doors is unique to Model X amongst Tesla models, largely due to Tesla's decision not to include physical door handles. While they are definitely cool to have, a simple door handle is far more practical.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Thanks for pointing this out. I had forgotten that this is one of the few options available. I'm certain I'd experience FOMO regrets if I went with the Explore, put up the $2,000 to get the underbody security, grew $2,000 closer to the fully-equipped Adventure model, yet still missed out on all the whistles, sirens, music, trim, and seat upgrades. Again, I understand budgets and the desire to keep the cost down, but that difference shrinks as you pick each additional accessory.

To each, their own, but I want to avoid looking back on what could have been.
It may not be the option for you, I was just pointing out that it is an option as the discussion was seeming rather all or nothing up to that point (ie, there is a middle ground between Adventure and Explore). Not everyone suffers from FOMO or needs the high end stereo and would rather spend the extra $5500 elsewhere - such as the max battery pack. Everyone has their own priorities so the only wrong decision is an uninformed decision.

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
It may not be the option for you, I was just pointing out that it is an option as the discussion was seeming rather all or nothing up to that point (ie, there is a middle ground between Adventure and Explore). Not everyone suffers from FOMO or needs the high end stereo and would rather spend the extra $5500 elsewhere - such as the max battery pack. Everyone has their own priorities so the only wrong decision is an uninformed decision.
Great point. Some of us have been following this company for so long that I'm not sure I could wait longer and therefore LE is the one. To each their own, but good to make sure you have all the answers first. Could go Explorer and a kitchen or a larger battery... I hope they don't make the roof racks outlandishly expensive. I feel like they are already beginning to cancel the kitchen.

OP
OP

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
What is interesting is that the speed 0-60 is the same 3 seconds regardless of the battery pack. Tesla makes it faster 0-60 when you get a larger battery.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
What is interesting is that the speed 0-60 is the same 3 seconds regardless of the battery pack. Tesla makes it faster 0-60 when you get a larger battery.
Actually, the 3 seconds is the 135 pack with the 22 wheels. People have just not been drawing attention to the differences.

From a Car and Driver report on the cars, these are what Rivian told them;

According to Rivian,

the 105.0-kWh model will have more than 230 miles of range, 402 horsepower, and 413 lb-ft of torque plus a zero-to-60-mph time of 4.9

The 135.0-kWh version is the speediest of the bunch; it's got 754 horses and 826 lb-ft, with Rivian claiming it will hit 60 in just 3.0 seconds and 100 mph in less than 7.0 seconds.

180.0-kWh R1T is the one to get. It's slightly less powerful, with "just" 700 horsepower and a 3.2-second zero-to-60-mph time
Sponsored