Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagon; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2009 Toyota Prius
A couple of times before, I've said how great it would be if Rivian would explore the adventure van segment leveraging its skateboard architecture and Amazon van models (there will be 3 Amazon models, all different sizes). The commercial van segment for carrying people would be another easy entry, new segment for Rivian, and it's quite large.

I'd gladly give up the frunk for a van's greater space and versatility, but not everyone goes for the van look as opposed to a more traditional two box style. I had a VW van a long time ago and came to appreciate its utility and versatility. Here's a Germany company hoping to revive the VW van's utility with BEV underpinings.
https://www.autoweek.com/news/techn...c-brands-ebussy-modular-electric-van-release/

Questions for forum members.
1. Do you prefer a van's one box design or a more traditional two box truck? If strongly one or the other, why?
2. If you were offered the choice as a preorder holder, would you choose a one-box van or two-box truck, all else being equal?
3. Do you feel there's brand inconsistency between Rivians carrying people and Rivians carrying packages?
4. Presumably a package-carrying Rivian wouldn't need air suspension, kinetic hydraulics and a motor at each wheel. If true, should a separate or sub-brand be created so that the "adventure" brand for people-carrying isn't diluted? (Obviously, there's overlap between questions 3 & 4.)

electruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volvo XC60
The pictures that have been shown seem to brand the van as "Prime" with a graphic on the side indicating it is "Powered by Rivian". I don't have any problem with this. Even if it said Rivian front and rear, I don't really see this as diluting the brand image. Mercedes certainly doesn't seem to suffer as a result of their Sprinter or Metris vans or semi-trucks and they are all clearly Mercedes branded.

Rivian_amazon2-e1568911418576.jpg

OP
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagon; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2009 Toyota Prius
Yes, it took decades before Mercedes established itself as a leading commercial truck and passenger vehicle manufacturer. We've come to accept Mercedes' dual personality and identity as the way the world is. Rivian doesn't enjoy that acceptance.

The larger question is whither Rivian? That's not as much a question of branding as economies of scale or low volume versus high volume. Adventure branding is a low volume play. A course correction is possible, even likely. The world looks very different now than it did two years ago when the R1T/S were introduced in November 2018. How many new BEV trucks have been announced in the last 12 months? I count 7 for North America alone.

At the outset, we want our Rivians to be reliable and perform well. We know what we've signed up for and what the first couple of years will look like for Rivian. Larger and smaller R1T/Ss & Amazon vans. Beyond that, a vast unknown. Brand identity and vehicle mix are part of that.

Rob P

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicles
2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged, 2014 BMW 650 convertible, 2014 Mercedes C class wife, 4 Dodge Rams trucks for work
Occupation
Own a Landscape and Christmas decorating company
Absolutely would love a Sprinter style EV van. Currently there are no 4wd Sprinter vans . There are 10s of thousands of skiers chomping at the bit for the ultimate ski safari van.

Nordic

Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, BMW C650 Sport
Absolutely would love a Sprinter style EV van. Currently there are no 4wd Sprinter vans . There are 10s of thousands of skiers chomping at the bit for the ultimate ski safari van.
Huh, there are 4wd Spinter vans been around a while.

Advertisement

Advertisement