Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

In one of the (thankfully) few issues I've discovered with my R1T, the tailgate cables are out of adjustment. The passenger side cable is taut but the driver's side just flops around. Video:

It looks like the top end of the cable disappears behind the plastic insert in the bed. Is this something that a person can adjust themself or would it require a service visit? Or maybe they'd just mail me new cables. Anyone fixed this before?
Sponsored

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Mine does the exact same. They’re both taut when you put weight on the tailgate. If there’s an easy way to adjust them I’ll happily do it.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I had a service ticket for this and he said three things: they are redesigning the cables, the cables don’t actually act as the support for the tailgate it’s all in the hinges, and this is normal and every truck on the lot has the same thing. So they didn’t repair it.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I had a service ticket for this and he said three things: they are redesigning the cables, the cables don’t actually act as the support for the tailgate it’s all in the hinges, and this is normal and every truck on the lot has the same thing. So they didn’t repair it.
I took my cables off as an experiment and the hinges are definitely not self supporting as the tailgate continued to deflect under slight load. I was thinking about removing them so they wouldn't interfere with drawers coming sideways out of a bed slide. Definitely not an option IMO.

Sponsored

LevelHeaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM
Occupation
Financial Technology
Clubs

I took my cables off as an experiment and the hinges are definitely not self supporting as the tailgate continued to deflect under slight load. I was thinking about removing them so they wouldn't interfere with drawers coming sideways out of a bed slide. Definitely not an option IMO.
My R1T (took delivery on Tuesday) has the same issue. Driver’s side is loose. I can tell the cables DO support the tailgate, for sure. I can tell the driver’s side gives more than the passenger’s under just the weight of me pushing on it.

Makes me nervous to put any weight on the tailgate — it would effectively cause it to twist slightly, since one side is held tighter.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I haven't even noticed but I have put plenty of weight on the tailgate many times and I haven't had any issues with it.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

My previous pickup had the same "issue". Every other truck on the lot also did.

Sponsored

RabidRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 03 S2K
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I also filed a ticket for it and was also told by the SC that it was normal, that the cables are redundant, and they were not going to fix it.

I too, would love to be able to adjust it myself.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Really? I’ve never seen it before on previous trucks.
Yup, on my Silverado and when I went to get it fixed they welcomed me to look at other trucks on the lot and they all had slack in either one of the cables. Had it for 4 years like this and never ran into any issues. And when you put a lot of weight on the tailgate it would flex and both cables would receive the weight so really wasn't a problem.

LevelHeaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM
Occupation
Financial Technology
Clubs

Yup, on my Silverado and when I went to get it fixed they welcomed me to look at other trucks on the lot and they all had slack in either one of the cables. Had it for 4 years like this and never ran into any issues. And when you put a lot of weight on the tailgate it would flex and both cables would receive the weight so really wasn't a problem.
Got it. I’d have assumed that were the case if there were less slack, was just surprised with the amount. The driver’s corner of the tailgate would have to be pushed a couple inches lower than the other for both to be taut.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I had not seen this type of issue on previous trucks I've owned (2 RAMs, a Ford and a Toyota). But on my R1T, it was pretty bad. One cable had quite a bit of play and it didn't seem like there was any way to adjust it. The SC replaced the cable back in January, which improved things but didn't really "fix" it.

LevelHeaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM
Occupation
Financial Technology
Clubs

I had not seen this type of issue on previous trucks I've owned (2 RAMs, a Ford and a Toyota). But on my R1T, it was pretty bad. One cable had quite a bit of play and it didn't seem like there was any way to adjust it. The SC replaced the cable back in January, which improved things but didn't really "fix" it.
If I sit on it, they do even out so… as long as that isn’t warping the door over time! I attempted to measure the cables and I believe the longer one is ~ 1/4” longer or so
Sponsored