Sponsored

Adding a 2nd EV to the family, best dual charger?

logan

First Name
logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Pretty happy with the load sharing on the clipper creek / enphase dual charger (HCS-D50P for me but you could probably do one up.) One of those cases where I went with the simplest product possible after reading reviews about downgrading amps with no internet and various app issues. It's a dumb charger but it works. Two 25' charging cables with a reel and holsters to hook them in. Splits the load if both active then switches to full after one is fully charged. We like being able to just not think about it. If we both want to charge we both plug-in and then we both wake up to charged vehicles.
Sponsored

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
So we might be adding a 2nd EV to the family, and we literally only had one 60amp breaker left when we installed the rivian charger. So I need to replace that with a dual charger. Whats the smartest/most powerful one out there?
I added a second EV (the Rivian) and just used the same NEMA 14-50 i've had since 2014. I never unplug it (so no wear issues on the contacts). In this case I swapped out the Tesla portable charger I've been using since then to a Chargepoint one for a few more amps (R1T is a beast of a battery) and I just move the plug back and forth between the vehicles depending on which needs a charge. No challenges keeping them both topped up and we drive a decent amount.

My fallback was a smart switch that has 1 NEMA 14-50 plug and then 2 coming out so you could connect 2 chargers but only draw from one at a time. That wasnt necessary and for my use case had some downsides.

fowlerisnuts

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I am also using Clipper Creek Share2, although it looks like the product line has changed a little bit. I has 80A available in the garage so I went with a pair of 64A chargers which I now don’t see on the web site. The way they install is both chargers go on a single breaker and have an additional small interface wire between them. When both chargers are asking for power then they split the 64A to 32A. When one finishes then the other gets the full 64A. It’s all completely automatic. My wife and can I come and go as we wish and just plug in without thinking about it. The Rivian only can take 48A but I was thinking ahead and I did have the large breaker available. Her car is a rear plug in and mine is front so having two chargers mean I could mount them for the convenience of both.

The product line doesn’t seem to show the bigger units but here is the nearest model to what I got:

https://enphase.com/store/ev-charge...gers/clippercreek-share2-hcs-50-ev-charger-40

Maybe they have the bigger models coming. Juicebox does also advertise circuit sharing but the installation manual says nothing about how to set it up so I stayed away. Maybe others do the same thing, but circuit sharing like the Clipper Creek is the way to go.

fowlerisnuts

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I am also using Clipper Creek Share2, although it looks like the product line has changed a little bit. I has 80A available in the garage so I went with a pair of 64A chargers which I now don’t see on the web site. The way they install is both chargers go on a single breaker and have an additional small interface wire between them. When both chargers are asking for power then they split the 64A to 32A. When one finishes then the other gets the full 64A. It’s all completely automatic. My wife and can I come and go as we wish and just plug in without thinking about it. The Rivian only can take 48A but I was thinking ahead and I did have the large breaker available. Her car is a rear plug in and mine is front so having two chargers mean I could mount them for the convenience of both.

The product line doesn’t seem to show the bigger units but here is the nearest model to what I got:

https://enphase.com/store/ev-charge...gers/clippercreek-share2-hcs-50-ev-charger-40

Maybe they have the bigger models coming. Juicebox does also advertise circuit sharing but the installation manual says nothing about how to set it up so I stayed away. Maybe others do the same thing, but circuit sharing like the Clipper Creek is the way to go.
I found the updated Juicebox information. This suggests you could do the same thing with two JuiceBox 48s.

https://support-emobility.enelx.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002651411-What-is-Load-Sharing-

vordo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Rav4 EV
Occupation
Film Music Editor
Like others, we’ve been a 2ev household for years with a single 40A charger, we just alternate between the two daily. it seems to work out given that you should get 80% easily overnight. (I don’t have my R1T yet so we’ll see how it goes.)

Sponsored

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Got 2 EVs, Tesla and Rivian. We have 2 Tesla chargers sharing a circuit. They automatically power share when both EVs are charging. It's pretty nifty.

tylerdurden03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jeep GC Trailhawk, Tesla Model 3
Clubs

I have this and works well so far: ClipperCreek Level 2 Dual EV Charger, Safety Certified, 32 Amp, 240v, Hardwired, 25ft Cables, J1772, Compatible with All Electric Vehicles, HCS-D40 Home Electric Car Charging Station by Enphase https://a.co/d/gWHfn4r
Sponsored