First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
So, I was at the Bellevue service center today and I inquired about the wiper fluid….. both the factory fill and what is used at the service center. I confirmed that both use the same fluid - attached is a picture of the 55 gallon drum that they use!

Rivian R1T R1S Addictive smelling wiper fluid mystery SOLVED! = Genuine Chemistry All Season Windshield Washer Fluid F8C551B6-56FD-4017-A54D-19E0CC304894
Sponsored

Last edited:

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Now, where to buy locally?

rkalbiar

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T , Tesla Model 3
Yeah, anyone share if you find it for consumers, please!

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
You guys are too much with this stuff :CWL::CWL:

Its just washer fluid!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
My $.02...

In most cars, the cabin filter is not SUPER close to the windscreen like it is in the R1T.

Your washer fluids have always smelled pretty good, you just never get to smell them due to where the cabin intake is....

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Methanol … Ethanol … prevents freezing … "makes 32ªF fluid" …
what is it?
Aside from smelling like alcohol in the cabin, it's not very good in snow, it still causes the A pillar next to the driver to build up a snow dam.

Has anyone figured out how to aim the washer jets?
Seems like the jets are aimed very low and spray hard, splashing the fluid off the windshield and over the cabin.

Also, the huge void space above the cowl (under the hood, where the wipers are meant to park) gets packed full of snow, prevents the wipers from moving through the bottom of their sweep. I wonder why Rivian didn't put some R&D into winter testing and solve these basic design performance problems. Jets in the blades or at least in the wiper arms, heat element loops at the A pillar and in the wiper "park" location … filling the cowl void with a molding to displace snow build-up … simple iterative design steps that would … mean I don't need to get out and shovel the snow away from the windshield …

Same could be said for the lack of design action that should have resulted in washer jets and heating elements for the headlights, washer jets for the cameras.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Methanol … Ethanol … prevents freezing … "makes 32ªF fluid" …
what is it?
Aside from smelling like alcohol in the cabin, it's not very good in snow, it still causes the A pillar next to the driver to build up a snow dam.

Has anyone figured out how to aim the washer jets?
Seems like the jets are aimed very low and spray hard, splashing the fluid off the windshield and over the cabin.

Also, the huge void space above the cowl (under the hood, where the wipers are meant to park) gets packed full of snow, prevents the wipers from moving through the bottom of their sweep. I wonder why Rivian didn't put some R&D into winter testing and solve these basic design performance problems. Jets in the blades or at least in the wiper arms, heat element loops at the A pillar and in the wiper "park" location … filling the cowl void with a molding to displace snow build-up … simple iterative design steps that would … mean I don't need to get out and shovel the snow away from the windshield …

Same could be said for the lack of design action that should have resulted in washer jets and heating elements for the headlights, washer jets for the cameras.
You kind of have to just ask yourself. What’s more important? Clearing the windshield? Or smelling like you cleared the windshield?

I would agree it’s the latter #Priorities

MikeySea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model X
Occupation
Gainfully unemployed
My $.02...

In most cars, the cabin filter is not SUPER close to the windscreen like it is in the R1T.

Your washer fluids have always smelled pretty good, you just never get to smell them due to where the cabin intake is....
I would also hazard a guess it's why the inside of my windows always give the appearance that I'm a heavy smoker. I have never owned a car which required so much glass maintenance. If I can smell the fluid, it's certainly traveling far enough into the air vents to leave a film on the glass. Not a fan.

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Rivian could build some hipster cred if they set up growler stations at their service centers to let us fill up on some of that fluid straight out of the keg ...

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5