Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

We have more than a seriously strong hunch that add on packs for capacity are coming.
We are thinking that the basic 300 mile pack takes up less space and we would add on for longer trips through charging deserts .
We ordered the lowest capacity Aptera 250mile, $10,000 less than the 1000 mile and 20% lighter- as they will offer add on modules and we are hoping Rivian does the same
Sponsored

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia (Future: R1T)
Occupation
Engineer
I would not count on add-on battery packs. The logistical and engineering challenges of a battery pack that weighs hundreds of pounds is enough. 300 range mile is more than enough to get you between the ~100 mile distance between fast chargers today (Electrify America has built their network’s gaps to between 80-120 miles on interstates). Many more fast chargers, including RAN’s, are coming too, so that distance will shrink to ~50 miles between stations over the next 3-4 years.

OP
OP

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

I would not count on add-on battery packs. The logistical and engineering challenges of a battery pack that weighs hundreds of pounds is enough. 300 range mile is more than enough to get you between the ~100 mile distance between fast chargers today (Electrify America has built their network’s gaps to between 80-120 miles on interstates). Many more fast chargers, including RAN’s, are coming too, so that distance will shrink to ~50 miles between stations over the next 3-4 years.
No biggie
Our bolts get 250-300 ( before they cut us back via radio signal for the recall!!)
And we have no issue with range and like stopping Frm tine to time
Hopefully car dealers with level 3 will be curious and welcome us too

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm going with the bigger pack. Several reasons to do so, imo:

1. I don't want to stop "every ~100 miles"
2. Extreme weather (both winter and summer) will reduce range
3. Battery age will reduce range
4. The extra range may be the difference between having to stop and being able to just go home on a day trip.
5. Every other EV owner I know who didn't get the large battery told me that was their biggest regret.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer

4. The extra range may be the difference between having to stop and being able to just go home on a day trip.
5. Every other EV owner I know who didn't get the large battery told me that was their biggest regret.
I’m glad we saved the money on our first EV. However, going all EV we need something that we can go camping deep in the mountains. 300 miles for both in and out is not going to cut it. Having a vehicle with amazing off road specs but no power does not make sense either. As someone who has supercharged dozens of times, it normally goes fine but is a huge pain 20% of the time. The extra 100 miles means we may never have to DC charge and can handle everything at our destination.

Sponsored

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s

Did you end up configuring if you are going bigger back? I am R1s Launch Edition, but waiting to hear what they say 'at production' about long range R1s pack.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Did you end up configuring if you are going bigger back? I am R1s Launch Edition, but waiting to hear what they say 'at production' about long range R1s pack.
Yes, I thought long and hard about that, but decided to do the 400 mile pack for my reservation. As much as I'd love to get my R1T sooner, I wanted to save my place in line for the larger pack, and it doesn't hurt to see six months worth of reviews before I get truly committed to a $90k purchase -- especially since Rivian continues to hold back important details and even continues to remove features.
Sponsored