Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
So I'm wondering when that is. My wife pointed this out on the website to me last night. Rivian is advertising Driver+ as "true hands free driving assistance". Has it always said that?
1657303263368.png
Don't know when, but yeah it's pretty much always said that. They must have decided it was just easier than having to remember to update the website....I see no harm is stating the end intent assuming it's not an aspirational goal. Presumably they have already tested it enough to know it works, it's a legal/regulatory/comfort decision to turn it on. They might even have an agreement with Nationwide that they won't do it for 12 months, who knows. I think it's also smart to let owners use the system as is to understand it's strengths and weaknesses, before taking the training wheels off.

My guess is that the plan is for the current Highway Assist (lane centering) to drop down and replace the adaptive cruise functionality (i.e. available pretty much everywhere), and the Hands Free will replace it at the top only on pre-mapped highways. Whenever they are comfortable enough to flip the switch.

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
My guess is that the plan is for the current Highway Assist (lane centering) to drop down and replace the adaptive cruise functionality (i.e. available pretty much everywhere), and the Hands Free will replace it at the top only on pre-mapped highways. Whenever they are comfortable enough to flip the switch.
That would make me so happy. Driver+ works reasonably well on mapped roads, but there are tons of divided roads that aren’t enabled, and I reliably used Pilot Assist (Volvo) on those roads for several years.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
I believe there’s a sensor around the entire wheel because I rest my hand anywhere and it will stay on. But yeah it’s definitely more than two seconds, for me I’ve gone without 10 seconds without touching the wheel so it’s not always consistent
I don't think there's sensors around the entire wheel? The system senses the torque differential of hand/s on the wheel?

What I don't like about ADAS is that the system doesn't display vehicles or motorcycles in your blind spot or behind you. It does display the proper BLIS alert and the radar symbol that something is there when close enough, but not a vehicle figure. I've tried this a bunch and when I pass someone, or have someone pass me, the system stops showing the vehicle I passed as it moves reward past my drivers door. When someone passes me it finally shows a vehicle symbol when the vehicle about reaches my driver door moving forward.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I don't think there's sensors around the entire wheel? The system senses the torque differential of hand/s on the wheel?
Most definitely capacitive sensors around the entire wheel. Zero torque input required. Tested and verified multiple times.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Most definitely capacitive sensors around the entire wheel. Zero torque input required. Tested and verified multiple times.
Well that would be interesting...I'm looking forward to a tear down of the steering wheel to see how that works then. My T is gone for repairs...or should I say: to fix the crappy assembly issues that QC/PDI should have caught before delivering to me...otherwise I'd play with that a bit.

Thanks for that.
Sponsored