Adapt to other super chargers?

Doublemfarms

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-250,GMC Yukon XL Denali
Will we be able to buy an adaptor that would allow us to charge on the other super chargers from say Tesla? I realize we’d have to pay but this seems like it would be not that complicated to design. I’m in Louisiana and the odds of Rivian putting something in the Deep South are somewhere around 0.
Sponsored

• Sad
Reactions: Jay

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
Will we be able to buy an adaptor that would allow us to charge on the other super chargers from say Tesla? I realize we’d have to pay but this seems like it would be not that complicated to design. I’m in Louisiana and the odds of Rivian putting something in the Deep South are somewhere around 0.
Chances for charging at Tesla locations are close to 0. That would require Tesla's cooperation and I don't see that happening unless forced by law like in Europe.
However Louisiana is not exactly a desert when you look at the available CCS locations. East/West main corridors are pretty much covered. Not so good if you want to go north, but I believe this will change relatively fast, as more EVs appear on the market.
If you didn't yet, go to plugshare.com, filter CCS plugs and you can see where are the chargers that you can use with Rivian (or pretty much any other EV besides Tesla and Leaf)

OP
OP

Doublemfarms

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chances for charging at Tesla locations are close to 0. That would require Tesla's cooperation and I don't see that happening unless forced by law like in Europe.
However Louisiana is not exactly a desert when you look at the available CCS locations. East/West main corridors are pretty much covered. Not so good if you want to go north, but I believe this will change relatively fast, as more EVs appear on the market.
If you didn't yet, go to plugshare.com, filter CCS plugs and you can see where are the chargers that you can use with Rivian (or pretty much any other EV besides Tesla and Leaf)
I have not done that yet. Thanks for the heads up.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Elon Musk said years ago that he would make the Tesla SC network available to any other manufacturer who would support it. A lot of us assumed that Rivian would almost have to sign on but they clearly did not and clearly will not at this point. "Support" can mean a lot of things and relationships between the two companies are not exactly cordial at the moment.

As an early adopter of Rivian vehicles you simply have to accept that you are going to be a bit of a pioneer until CCS charging builds out to the extent that the Tesla network has. Do use PlugShare as suggested but also look at A Better Route Planner

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I posted a couple of after market sites on another thread that make the adaptor. One is $159

Sponsored

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
I posted a couple of after market sites on another thread that make the adaptor. One is $159
The OP has been asking about Superchargers. There is no adaptors for that.
You can get an adaptor to use 240V Tesla destination chargers and home chargers

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
Are you are referring to the Tesla to J1772 adapter? That is for adapting J1772s to Tesla Destination Chargers and not Tesla Superchargers, unless something has changed recently. I believe that was what the OP was asking if i'm not mistaken. If you were intending something different, then my bad.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
The OP has been asking about Superchargers. There is no adaptors for that.
You can get an adaptor to use 240V Tesla destination chargers and home chargers
I must have read it wrong. Yes your are right.

Sponsored

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
Several years ago, Elon said the Supercharger Network would never be a profit center. But, that was when all new vehicles got free supercharging for life. Now, you have to buy credits with new vehicles to use the superchargers. Also, now that Tesla is part of the S&P 500, there will be more pressure for profits to support the stock price.

So, Tesla might make it easier to use the Supercharger Network for non-Tesla vehicles. If someone were to use a Tesla Supercharger and had a great experience, maybe they will look at Tesla vehicles to purchase.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I think Tesla attains more of a competitive advantage by saying that they would allow other OEMs to use the network than they would by actually allowing that to happen. Remember that the Tesla net is not a profit centre for Tesla. It is a marketing tool.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
The Supercharger network is likely their biggest competitive advantage. I'm not sure the offer is still on the table for other manufacturers to join. That statement was made when Tesla was small and it's survival was still in doubt.
Bollinger reached out stating they wanted to join, but nothing ever came of that. I have no idea how serious they were and if efforts were sincere, what fell apart.

OP
OP

Doublemfarms

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You guys are correct I was talking about super chargers. Truth be told, I’m ignorant to all of this charging network but what I am sure of is these slower chargers that appear to take overnight or at least several hours are of no use to me on a road trip. I’m not complaining as I’m not buying this truck to really take on road trips. Honestly I’m not sure why I’m buying it other than it’s a cool toy.
Eventually there will be an abundance of super chargers and at that point it will be fun to take on road trips, until then I’ll take one of our ICE vehicles.
Thanks for all the replies.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
You guys are correct I was talking about super chargers. Truth be told, I’m ignorant to all of this charging network but what I am sure of is these slower chargers that appear to take overnight or at least several hours are of no use to me on a road trip. I’m not complaining as I’m not buying this truck to really take on road trips. Honestly I’m not sure why I’m buying it other than it’s a cool toy.
Eventually there will be an abundance of super chargers and at that point it will be fun to take on road trips, until then I’ll take one of our ICE vehicles.
Thanks for all the replies.
Superchargers are a Tesla brand, and it would help if you differentiated between "Fast chargers" and "Superchargers" when posting. Both are DCFC (DC current as opposed to AC and capable of much higher speeds).
The newest CCS fast chargers are able to charge faster than almost all of the installed Tesla Supercharger base, and it seems that the Rivian will be able to take advantage of that. Full specs have not been released, but "over 200 kW for sustained periods" is a good indication.
Sponsored