Sponsored

Accessories Included in Config Pricing: Roof Rack and Tow Hitch?

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I can only assume you mean "receiver" as opposed to "ball mount hitch" the latter of which is likely not included. That will be cool if they did though! A lot of people use the terms hitch when they really mean receiver. I'm not sure what you intended, however.
This is were a couple of photos will make things more clear.

Hitch receiver:
Rivian R1T R1S Accessories Included in Config Pricing:  Roof Rack and Tow Hitch? curt-hitch-receivers-14011-64_1000
This is the kind that you'd bolt onto a vehicle. The square hole in the center is the receiver. The R1T and R1S will come with this square hole.

This is the part you'll have to buy to tow a trailer:
Rivian R1T R1S Accessories Included in Config Pricing:  Roof Rack and Tow Hitch? ball-mount

It will go into the square hole in the R1T or R1S
Sponsored

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
This is were a couple of photos will make things more clear.

Hitch receiver:
curt-hitch-receivers-14011-64_1000.jpg
This is the kind that you'd bolt onto a vehicle. The square hole in the center is the receiver. The R1T and R1S will come with this square hole.

This is the part you'll have to buy to tow a trailer:
ball-mount.jpg

It will go into the square hole in the R1T or R1S
Why was I quoted? Ha. Iā€™m guessing that was an error and you intended to direct this message elsewhere. Iā€™m rather familiar with receivers, ball mounts, and trailers, etc.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Why was I quoted? Ha. Iā€™m guessing that was an error and you intended to direct this message elsewhere. Iā€™m rather familiar with receivers, ball mounts, and trailers, etc.
I quoted you to agree with your post. You had the right words, I just added the photos. Teamwork FTW!

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
Also, a spare will NOT be included - we will have to buy that extra on the R1S for sure - dont know about the R1T.

I chatted with customer support last week - there will be room for a spare in the cargo floor under the 3rd row seat on the R1S but no spare is included. Its an accessory. They dont know on pricing yet.

I am kind of dissapointed that an $80K vehicle doesnt include a spare but it is what it is.

Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

I am kind of dissapointed that an $80K vehicle doesnt include a spare but it is what it is.
Would you be less disappointed with a $80,500 vehicle that included a spare?

This kind of pricing is "Unbundled" pricing. It's very popular with airlines and not so much with passengers.

You might be surprised that there are people who think they don't need a full sized spare and appreciate the option of not having to buy one.

For me, I'd rather have a full sized spare but I'll save money by buying my own. Factory offered accessories usually cost more than 3rd party sourced accessories.

At least Rivian vehicles do come with floor mats.

OP
OP

GoWest!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & R1S
What I take exception to (or at least scratch my head a bit about) is that itā€™s marketed as an ā€œadventure vehicleā€ that weā€™re to take out into the wild to off-road and get dirty and get nature and explore...and it doesnā€™t have a spare tire, standard.

Not necessarily a negative critique, but rather more the beginnings of an existential crisis of ā€œwhat is the Rivian R1S/what exactly am I buyingā€ as we get closer to production and the commitment financially to its utilitarianism as packaged.

LRs come standard with a spare; I would not off road in a Model S so I wouldnā€™t need a spare for that car. As far as buying a spare separately, I appreciate that option but wouldnā€™t I want to buy the exact same spare tire thatā€™s already on the vehicle anyway? So no real savings going 3rd party there. I guess itā€™s not valid obviously if someoneā€™s going to replace all the factory tires with something more appropriate for their adventuring.

Just musing.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
What I take exception to (or at least scratch my head a bit about) is that itā€™s marketed as an ā€œadventure vehicleā€ that weā€™re to take out into the wild to off-road and get dirty and get nature and explore...and it doesnā€™t have a spare tire, standard.

Not necessarily a negative critique, but rather more the beginnings of an existential crisis of ā€œwhat is the Rivian R1S/what exactly am I buyingā€ as we get closer to production and the commitment financially to its utilitarianism as packaged.

LRs come standard with a spare; I would not off road in a Model S so I wouldnā€™t need a spare for that car. As far as buying a spare separately, I appreciate that option but wouldnā€™t I want to buy the exact same spare tire thatā€™s already on the vehicle anyway? So no real savings going 3rd party there. I guess itā€™s not valid obviously if someoneā€™s going to replace all the factory tires with something more appropriate for their adventuring.

Just musing.
I donā€™t disagree with your assessment, but I think itā€™s as much about image marketing as it expectations on real world usage. If they truly thought that most buyers were going to take this truck off-road, then the 20ā€ wheel with AT tires would the standard option, and the upgrade would be 18ā€ or 19ā€, not 22ā€. In fact, they wouldnā€™t even have a 22ā€ option. Truth be told, and painting with broad strokes, is that the typical Rivian buyerā€™s adventure will more likely be driving on a paved road to a trailhead where theyā€™ll park and go for a hike or bike ride. But that same buyer wants to have something that looks off-road capable for image purposes. Much like all these tricked out Jeeps you see in mint condition because they never leave the pavement.

Anyway, I think thereā€™s a vocal minority of us who will truly use these as off-road vehicles. Iā€™ll use mine for hunting and going to my properties and cabins - all of which are 10+ miles in on poorly maintained dirt roads. They are marketing and optioning to the masses, and I consider my usage to be more on the fringe.

As for the spare, I agree that it should have one. But Iā€™m not going to get too caught up over spending a couple hundred dollars for a cheap rim and tire. Thankfully they chose to go with a standard bolt pattern and designed in a place to store a full size spare on the R1T!

RIV206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 R1S, '23 Model Y
Clubs

Any updates on when they will add accessories to the order/configuration process? Curious to see how much the roof racks will be.