First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Information Security
I’m not sure if this is considered phantom braking, but our R1T Adventure has serious problems with adaptive cruise on interstate driving. While passing most semis/trailers/campers on the left, as we approach we will see phantom blue cars displayed either on the front or rear bumper of the semi. To be clear, there are no other cars on the road besides the impending semi. The phantom cars flicker off/on and 70% of the time cause the ACC to slow down. Not cool at any time, but especially if there is traffic behind and you slow down in the passing lane. This behavior has never happened when passing a semi on the right (three lane interstate with truck in middle lane), but we typically refrain from doing that. I also notice when sitting in stopped traffic, the display of surrounding vehicles has similar on/off flickering or angular displays that are not parallel to traffic. R1T very confused about what other vehicles in immediate vicinity are doing (and they are stationary!).

This has been reported in detail to Rivian and has been into the shop once. It was documented as normal behavior - they compared it to other trucks and found similar behavior.

Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Certainly doesn't sound normal.

brbecker

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5d
Occupation
Retired
I have experienced the same thing. I was assuming it was caused by the angle of the sun causing a shadow on the left side of the semi on a East bound lane. It seems that the adaptive cruise control thinks the shadows caused by the sun angle is a car?

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I’m not sure if this is considered phantom braking, but our R1T Adventure has serious problems with adaptive cruise on interstate driving. While passing most semis/trailers/campers on the left, as we approach we will see phantom blue cars displayed either on the front or rear bumper of the semi. To be clear, there are no other cars on the road besides the impending semi. The phantom cars flicker off/on and 70% of the time cause the ACC to slow down. Not cool at any time, but especially if there is traffic behind and you slow down in the passing lane. This behavior has never happened when passing a semi on the right (three lane interstate with truck in middle lane), but we typically refrain from doing that. I also notice when sitting in stopped traffic, the display of surrounding vehicles has similar on/off flickering or angular displays that are not parallel to traffic. R1T very confused about what other vehicles in immediate vicinity are doing (and they are stationary!).

This has been reported in detail to Rivian and has been into the shop once. It was documented as normal behavior - they compared it to other trucks and found similar behavior.

Anyone else experience this?
Yes, definitely worse than my Model Y when it comes to phantom braking & "misreading" what it is seeing on the road ahead. Rivian is relatively new at this, so hoping for improvement in the future.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
What about the Mitsubishi motorcycles? No matter how much we drove and moved positions around the truck was convinced it was a bike.

Rivian R1T R1S ACC detects phantom cars when passing large vehicles 1F6CFEC9-684B-4F0E-865A-15B80E79F949

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Andoman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Information Security
I have experienced the same thing. I was assuming it was caused by the angle of the sun causing a shadow on the left side of the semi on a East bound lane. It seems that the adaptive cruise control thinks the shadows caused by the sun angle is a car?
I’m pretty sure this is not related to shadows, but will keep an eye out. It seemed related to how dark/light the semi was - white/silver had less problems. Not enough data to make a conclusion.

OP
OP

Andoman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Information Security
@Thedude - yes, we’ve seen that but not at freeway speeds.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Better not be fooled by shadows. The truck has multiple radar units and ultrasonic sensors.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

What about the Mitsubishi motorcycles? No matter how much we drove and moved positions around the truck was convinced it was a bike.

1F6CFEC9-684B-4F0E-865A-15B80E79F949.jpeg
Sorry, couldn't see past the efficiency gauge!:clap:

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I’ve found ACC to be somewhere between useless and dangerous, but that’s specific to where I live (coastal CA, in an urban area but close to rural).

It misidentifies trees and rocks as cars, and on more than one occasion, has aggressively decelerated when I pass a bike on the shoulder if anything is in the oncoming lane. It’s spooky - I can’t use it.

Recommend you note the time it happens and give service a call with a time stamp. They will investigate if you tell them it was unsafe.

Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I’ve found ACC to be somewhere between useless and dangerous, but that’s specific to where I live (coastal CA, in an urban area but close to rural).

It misidentifies trees and rocks as cars, and on more than one occasion, has aggressively decelerated when I pass a bike on the shoulder if anything is in the oncoming lane. It’s spooky - I can’t use it.

Recommend you note the time it happens and give service a call with a time stamp. They will investigate if you tell them it was unsafe.
I saw zombies :)

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I had just coasted down from the mountains for 20 miles, I wish it was like that all the time.
I assume the readout maxes at 4.00, that kinda sucks.

Sleektruck22

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE
Occupation
Property Management
This is common, they need to realign the radar sensor on the front of the truck to reduce its wave width. This takes lots of R&D and the SC's don't have this ability/training as of yet. A fix will come.

It took Mercedes years to get this right.
Sponsored