First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Porsche Panamera Turbo, 2020 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Physician
Thermals of Ford adapter and a2z adapter while fast charging. Neither got really hot a2z adapter had a spot higher in temp than ford adapter.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I think that is a Rivian decision to unlock the charge port when charging is done. This way if at a trail head or hotel and charging is over someone can use the charger by unplugging from your vehicle.

With my Tesla I have to unlock the vehicle to take the cord or adapter if using one out of the port. That was why I assumed it stayed locked but then after @zefram47 commented about the charging ending I recalled at some point reading that which is why I tested the behavior this morning.
IIRC, my MINI Cooper SE had an option to either unlock the charge port when the charge was complete or leave it locked while the vehicle was locked. Most of the time I left it in the friendly mode so someone could swipe the plug if I wasn't around when it finished, but it would be nice to have the asshole mode available if you were using an adapter and didn't want to risk it getting stolen.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I think that is a Rivian decision to unlock the charge port when charging is done. This way if at a trail head or hotel and charging is over someone can use the charger by unplugging from your vehicle.

With my Tesla I have to unlock the vehicle to take the cord or adapter if using one out of the port. That was why I assumed it stayed locked but then after @zefram47 commented about the charging ending I recalled at some point reading that which is why I tested the behavior this morning.
It's important information, so thanks for testing it. I hope Rivian gives us an option to leave a DCFC connector locked even after the charge is complete (and the vehicle is locked). Ideal would be having a different option for AC and DC charging because people might have different needs for each.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Well knowing that the adapters can get stolen, having a A2Z as a backup long term isn't a bad idea.

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

Wish A2Z could put a manual lock mechanisms on it like the Tesla Tap has on it to prevent the Tesla plug from being unpulled from the adapter and also from the vehicle. Great physical safeguard so you don't have to rely on the truck.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Wish A2Z could put a manual lock mechanisms on it like the Tesla Tap has on it to prevent the Tesla plug from being unpulled from the adapter and also from the vehicle. Great physical safeguard so you don't have to rely on the truck.
The auto click compared to the manual slide would make the connection to the adapter somewhat easier but even the adapter that will be furnished by Rivian will use the truck to lock it in place while charging.

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

The auto click compared to the manual slide would make the connection to the adapter somewhat easier but even the adapter that will be furnished by Rivian will use the truck to lock it in place while charging.
Hmmm wonder how hard it would be to epoxy some links to the Rivian attachment side so the physical latch physically couldn't move when locked (even if the vehicle side lock is disengaged). Some engineer out there should know how to do it on the cheap and simple.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FWIW, here's what the User Manual says about chargers staying locked (or not) to the vehicle:

Rivian R1T R1S A2Z NACS To CCS1 Adapter Review Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 4.28.30 PM

With DC it isn't clear, but with AC there's a distinction between public chargers (unlocks when charging is complete even if the vehicle is locked) and the Rivian Portable Chargers (stays locked until the vehicle is unlocked). This really should be an option we can toggle for each scenario. Just like I want my own portable charger to stay locked, I want my adapters (NACS to J1772 or NACS to CCS) to stay locked to the vehicle if the vehicle is locked.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

FWIW, here's what the User Manual says about chargers staying locked (or not) to the vehicle:

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 4.28.30 PM.png

With DC it isn't clear, but with AC there's a distinction between public chargers (unlocks when charging is complete even if the vehicle is locked) and the Rivian Portable Chargers (stays locked until the vehicle is unlocked). This really should be an option we can toggle for each scenario. Just like I want my own portable charger to stay locked, I want my adapters (NACS to J1772 or NACS to CCS) to stay locked to the vehicle if the vehicle is locked.
That's odd. Wonder why the behavior would be different for the portable charger. Can anyone confirm that? I don't have a NEMA 14-50 at home to test the Rivian portable unit. Pretty sure my OpenEVSE stays locked until I unlock the vehicle though.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's odd. Wonder why the behavior would be different for the portable charger. Can anyone confirm that? I don't have a NEMA 14-50 at home to test the Rivian portable unit. Pretty sure my OpenEVSE stays locked until I unlock the vehicle though.
It's different because you don't want someone to steal your portable charger. You're far less concerned about someone stealing an AC public charger.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

It's different because you don't want someone to steal your portable charger. You're far less concerned about someone stealing an AC public charger.
More wondering how they could tell the difference between the Rivian Wall Charger and the Rivian Portable Charger...or a public charger for that matter. There's certainly nothing in the J1772 comms that would make a difference that I'm aware of.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
More wondering how they could tell the difference between the Rivian Wall Charger and the Rivian Portable Charger...or a public charger for that matter. There's certainly nothing in the J1772 comms that would make a difference that I'm aware of.
My guess would be a proprietary, unofficial-to-J1772, CAN comm over either CP or PE pin.

Jimbydude

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2016 Honda Civic
J1772 is only the charging standard as it applies to the electrical connection, when plugin in there are more than just that going on. The CCS comms for example

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
I love living in the Midwest so I don’t have to stress about this. Guess I can’t take any long road trips though, doh.

richpike

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover D5, Jeep JL, R1S
Update #2 for deliveries of the NACS to CCS1 adapter :

All orders up to the 5th of March have been packed. 90% have been shipped today and the rest will be shipped tomorrow.

All orders up to the 20th of March are to be packaged and shipped next week, starting the 1st of April 9 (no April fools)

All orders are shipped from Montreal, Canada. Transit time varies from 1 to 5 business days.

Current lead time for new orders is 10 business days, production and orders are increasing, lead time is decreasing. We deliver our promises.

IMG_9195.jpeg
Pictures credits to MidnightRivian on http://RivianForums.com
Any update on orders through March 20? Thanks!

-Rich
Sponsored