First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
It sounds like you didn't abuse it, and from all accounts Rivian and others have abused it during testing, etc. I really, really want this to be a defective part and not a design flaw!
Sponsored

OP
OP
BillArnett

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
I think there might be some confusion as to whether this was a warranty repair, it if you paid out of pocket for any of the repair, travel, etc?
I paid the whole thing. They claimed off-highway damage is not covered by the warranty.

gramurai

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ecodiesel Grand Cherokee, Chevy Spark Ev
Occupation
Just retired!!
Ouch!! Sorry man...that couldn't have been cheap. Any idea if they would have sold you the part to do it yourself?

fhteagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, considering R1S
They claimed off-highway damage is not covered by the warranty.
Thanks for letting us know.

I am not sure how I feel about that warranty position by Rivian. Marketing your vehicles as adventure / off-road ready and then not standing behind them when they break on trail sends quite the missed message. I get they have to draw a line somewhere between warrantied fit for purpose use and not. I just would not have thought that line would be "at the edge of the pavement" as your statement seems to indicate.

I will finally need to look into this further as part of my buy / no buy a Rivian decision...

OP
OP
BillArnett

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
Ouch!! Sorry man...that couldn't have been cheap. Any idea if they would have sold you the part to do it yourself?
No idea. But it’s moot: there’s no way I could do that job, especially 1000 miles from home.

Sponsored

jclicky

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Thanks for letting us know.

I am not sure how I feel about that warranty position by Rivian. Marketing your vehicles as adventure / off-road ready and then not standing behind them when they break on trail sends quite the missed message. I get they have to draw a line somewhere between warrantied fit for purpose use and not. I just would not have thought that line would be "at the edge of the pavement" as your statement seems to indicate.

I will finally need to look into this further as part of my buy / no buy a Rivian decision...
same, I’ll be “following this space closely”; I don’t think that stance is going to work out well for them. They don’t want to be pigeon-holed into the “off-road aspirational,” SUV/Truck, since it’s a bit of a crowded space…there’s a big reason Toyotas are popular with all their interior, infotainment & ancient drivetrains are substandard: they are RELIABLE. That’s a HUGE factor of vehicles that are legitimately setup for off-road performance. Hope they reconsider this misguided stance.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
If this were a serious point of weakness as a design flaw we would have heard of several others having this same issue by now. For example, it seems like MotorTrend would have had an issue with the truck when they jumped it.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

So what's the feeling here ? A defective part? The vehicle should be able to hit a curb at 10mph without suspension damage
I can vouch for that. :whew: Accidentally popped a curb when finishing my test drive. Whoops but good extra test ;) We both laughed at how well it took it.
Sponsored