Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian r1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

there are 4 places that you can jack up with the pucks. so how are you going to get the jack stands under? Unless you have 4 trolley jacks.. which I wouldn't want my car up in the air that way for days. or you get the jackstands with the bottle jacks (cheapest I have found are $70each).
That's exactly what I will do...grab those combo bottle jack/jack stands from Amazon. They're really cheap and I've already ordered. I plan to keep one in the truck at all times to replace the included jack. Plus I have a ProEagle 3ton off road jack to use as well.
Sponsored

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Love those 20s in dark...HATE them in brights! Crazy how much of a difference it makes!

Do you plan to find where that yellow Rivian 'tag' was on each wheel and paint it yellow again? I asked some shops and they stated that everything gets coated and they can't retain that little yellow strip, so I understand why it will get blasted, but I'm thinking that I might get some yellow Rivian touch up paint from the Shop, and then try to paint the area where that badge is/was. Is that even a possibility?
Maybe a company will make a decal to replace the Rivian yellow stripe. When I had wheels powder coated in the past, I was able to find decals for things like this.
I’m actually in touch with a vendor on Etsy to make that yellow Rivian logo as a sticker. It’s way too narrow to paint in my option.

Will keep you all posted.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Hey @shrink is that "black" powder coat or some "hyper black" or other variation? What's the numeric gloss level? Looks 80+. I really like the way this turned out for you and am considering doing my bright 22's. SInce I got the dark 20s I think I'm done with the bright look.

WrekEE

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order, Model Y P, Tundra TRD Pro
That's exactly what I will do...grab those combo bottle jack/jack stands from Amazon. They're really cheap and I've already ordered. I plan to keep one in the truck at all times to replace the included jack. Plus I have a ProEagle 3ton off road jack to use as well.
are you trying to stay under the $80k? Its alot of work.

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Hey @shrink is that "black" powder coat or some "hyper black" or other variation? What's the numeric gloss level? Looks 80+. I really like the way this turned out for you and am considering doing my bright 22's. SInce I got the dark 20s I think I'm done with the bright look.
I'll ask my installer. I should also mention, though, the wheels and calipers are ceramic coated as well. That's probably contributing to the crazy gloss.

I've historically been of the opinion that it's a little silly to ceramic coat wheels, but since I was getting all this work done I got a deal and was like screw it - just do it.

Sponsored

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Just so i understand... you paid $2,500 for the AT brights, then paid another $1,000 to get them powder coated black?

Why not just buy the darks for $3.5k?

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Good question! Maybe OP changed his mind. I got mine with the 22 brights as that is what I wanted.
Then saw the brainexploder blackout set. Went with those and like the black better.

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Just so i understand... you paid $2,500 for the AT brights, then paid another $1,000 to get them powder coated black?

Why not just buy the darks for $3.5k?
A/T Brights are $1800, not $2500

This was also an R1 Shop order from 8/2022 and I really wanted and needed a truck at the time so there were some compromises in the Shop purchase. First choice was the regular "staple" 20" all terrains, but that configuration was not available at the time.

Funny thing about the brights is that they look much better in person. I just prefer dark wheels, so I used the vinyl stickers at first and actually got a lot of complements on them. Also, with the OEM A/T darks, I actually don't love the two-tone finish. I prefer the single color and I actually ended up getting exactly what I wanted for a little less than $3500 for the A/T darks.

Reactions: SDH
OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I only got a vague response from my installer:

"The ceramic does help but that is a higher end black then most people are willing to spend money on."

I asked for glossy black and this is what I got. I know they sprayed them and baked them, let them cool, and then sprayed a second coat, and then baked them a second time.

I can send you some additional photos directly if you'd like to discuss with your local installer. They are glossier than I expected and the look changes depending on the light.

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I just took these photos in my work parking lot. They look a nice solid black from a distance, but then when I get closer you can see my reflection pretty clearly in the rims. Definitely glossier than I expected.

Rivian R1T R1S A/T Brights Powdercoated to Glossy Black IMG_1456

Rivian R1T R1S A/T Brights Powdercoated to Glossy Black IMG_1457

Sponsored

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Also, with the OEM A/T darks, I actually don't love the two-tone finish.
I have the A/T darks and I am not totally sure what you mean by "two tone." I suppose if I squint really hard I could convince myself there are two different shades of black on there, but as my mom likes to say: "A man on a horse wouldn't notice."

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I have the A/T darks and I am not totally sure what you mean by "two tone." I suppose if I squint really hard I could convince myself there are two different shades of black on there, but as my mom likes to say: "A man on a horse wouldn't notice."
I think it depends on the angle and sunlight, but definitely two different colors. The insets are glossy black, but the wheel faces are more of a black chrome.

Rivian R1T R1S A/T Brights Powdercoated to Glossy Black 1678820177583

It's the same for the A/T Brights. Insets are glossy black, but the faces are "bright." I wouldn't say chrome, but maybe more a brushed nickel?

Rivian R1T R1S A/T Brights Powdercoated to Glossy Black IMG_2542.JPG

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I think it depends on the angle and sunlight, but definitely two different colors. The insets are glossy black, but the wheel faces are more of a black chrome.

1678820177583.png

It's the same for the A/T Brights. Insets are glossy black, but the faces are "bright." I wouldn't say chrome, but maybe more a brushed nickel?

IMG_2542.JPG
Correct, "dark" wheels are "bright" wheels with a tinted clear coat over them. So anywhere that isn't painted black on the bright wheels will have a darker look, but you can still see the machined look if you look closely, giving the two-tone look.

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Correct, "dark" wheels are "bright" wheels with a tinted clear coat over them. So anywhere that isn't painted black on the bright wheels will have a darker look, but you can still see the machined look if you look closely, giving the two-tone look.
Ah, yes - tinted clear coat is the term I was looking for. Thank you.

I think I read somewhere that process is bit more involved; hence, the higher price for the AT darks?

I imagine a tinted clear coat might be trickier to repair as well?

909phillyman

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian r1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs