A sweet spot for VINs on a used R1T?

Heavysixer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 911, 2028 Q5
Hey all, I've been stalking the secondary market for a lightly used R1T, as they are readily available and actually offer a bit of saving over buying new (at least without pre-March 1, 2022 pricing).

Anyway, I'm looking at a truck with a VIN around 11,500 and was wondering if anyone has any insights or opinions on the "sweet spot" for VINs to consider when looking for a used truck.

I figure early builds might be problematic, and I know there have been a couple of production pushes that are likely best avoided as well, but I'm not sure of the VINs associated with those.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Sponsored

dilmorecg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Rivian R1T, '19 Raptor, '15 Porsche 911 GTS
I think that build was probably Sept/Oct 2022 ish. I have a 12k build and got it in Nov. They stopped the 12v frunk around that build number so it may or may not have it. Mine does not. I think that is high enough to not have early issues. I think even "new" ones are coming out with some of the common complaints...although my T has been great.

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
There was a batch in the 17XXXs where they briefly added back the 12v in the frunk. My 18XXX does not have it, but it does have the one under the dash, which has now been removed in later VINs.

EDITED: As pointed out by @Belem I had it backwards (should have checked my app). I have a 175XX VIN with no frunk 12v. There was a brief window in the 18XXX range that had them.

Other than that my truck has not had any of the previously reported teething issues and my panel gaps, etc. look OK to me.

Last edited:

Belem

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Adventure, 1986 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16
There was a batch in the 17XXXs where they briefly added back the 12v in the frunk. My 18XXX does not have it, but it does have the one under the dash, which has now been removed in later VINs.
I think you may have that backwards: Some NP18XXX have the 12v but NP17XXX and NP19XXX do not.

(This is a blanket statement as I'm sure there are exceptions)

Indy avocado

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '17 Macan S, '11 Mustang GT
My low 17000's vin has been very good, no weird wind noise, etc. Lacking frunk 12v. I think somewhere between 14000 and 17000 there were some dips in quality, but I wouldn't be too worried.

Sponsored

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I think you may have that backwards: Some NP18XXX have the 12v but NP17XXX and NP19XXX do not.

(This is a blanket statement as I'm sure there are exceptions)
You are correct and I was incorrect.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
I have a ~9k VIN 2022 R1T, and it has been pretty much flawless. So I think trying to say one VIN is better than another is not a solid game plan, because a recent VIN from 2023 may have a lot of issues and a 5k VIN from 2022 may be perfect. If you find a truck you like at a price you want, then check it out and buy it if it checks all the boxes.

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
I think it's a mixed bad among all vins. My 8k July 22 build has been solid. Power Tonneau works great, no major issues in 7k miles. Pannel gaps are good. My neighbor just took delivery of his 2023 R1T 2 weeks ago. And in my opinion the build quality is worse. Until they do a mid cycle refresh I think these trucks will be pretty similar.

Drott

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Impreza 2011
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

I have an August build vin 109xx and it has been great with no issues; it has drunk 12v and two magnets

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

My 17XX build has been nearly flawless including the powered Tonneau. One year, 23,000 miles......I'm not sure there is enough data to conclude 'stay away' areas......Seriously, who wouldn't love that truck (below) ;) ?

Rivian R1T R1S A sweet spot for VINs on a used R1T? 20230201_121159

Sponsored

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
My VIN is low 9600s. Just passed 10k miles and really not a single major issue or complaint. One small panel misalignment with the trim under the rear driver side door, but not enough to bother a SC to fix. There was some thread I followed a few months ago discussing some issue people were having that I never had, and someone with a VIN similar to mine commented theirs was also nearly flawless. There were a few others who thought the mid 9's were a "good batch". Anything you hear here is going to be purely anecdotal and there are probably flawless vehicles in every VIN range.

I agree to go with what is available that most closely matches what you want. For example, if a tonneau is a must have for you, then that would rule out recent VINs.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Hey all, I've been stalking the secondary market for a lightly used R1T, as they are readily available and actually offer a bit of saving over buying new (at least without pre-March 1, 2022 pricing).

Anyway, I'm looking at a truck with a VIN around 11,500 and was wondering if anyone has any insights or opinions on the "sweet spot" for VINs to consider when looking for a used truck.

I figure early builds might be problematic, and I know there have been a couple of production pushes that are likely best avoided as well, but I'm not sure of the VINs associated with those.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
I am in 3xxxs and other than a front suspension noise, that might be "normal" I have over 15k on it and it is solid and everything works.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

My 17XX build has been nearly flawless including the powered Tonneau. One year, 23,000 miles......I'm not sure there is enough data to conclude 'stay away' areas......Seriously, who wouldn't love that truck (below) ;) ?

20230201_121159.jpg
Looks good but has the common panel alignment issue between the hood and fender at the edges.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I think its too early to tell.

If I was buying a used R1T I'd try to avoid the tok issue if at all possible.

To my knowledge Rivian hasn't solved it.

It's really the only issue that I'm unhappy about with my Rivian. Aside from the entirety of Rivian Service/Support. Haha

Kärsti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, 20' AT tires
9k vin, I have had zero issues, came flawless no panel gaps or bad paint others have noted. has the 12v, too. No problems since and 14k miles
Sponsored