Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Well itā€™s not technically for Rivian but it might as well be. I guess people are starting to see this on Hulu. Nothing like free advertising!

I just saw that Ad today and also thought it was a Rivian commercial until the very end.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I would not be surprised if Rivian paid Turo for the privilege of being featured in their ad like that. And then Rivian gets to technically keep claiming they donā€™t waste our money on TV ads Because itā€™s a Turo ad, not a Rivian adā€¦

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
ā€œTuro: if you donā€™t like your car, and want to make some money, let strangers pay to beat the hell out of it, because to them its no better than a Camry or similar from Alamoā€™

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Sold) 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Web Development
I love how this official Turo commercial is promoting doing something that goes against their own guidelines
https://help.turo.com/en_us/prohibited-uses-Hyi0E4l49
Using a vehicle booked through Turo
* for ā€œoff roadingā€ on undeveloped or unimproved roads
Edit:
Unless of course this is just one of those drive up campsites, truly adventurous!

Sponsored

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
I love renting cars on Turo while traveling! Recently rented a Model Y Performance for the same price as a standard mid size from the "big" agencies while on a trip to Hawaii. It was awesome, my hotel had charging in the garage so I charged up everyday for free.

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Agreed! While I've been waiting for my own pickup, I've used Turo a couple times for ... truck things. It's great, affordable, and easy.
Even more likely to given their excellent taste in ad material!
;)

I love renting cars on Turo while traveling! Recently rented a Model Y Performance for the same price as a standard mid size from the "big" agencies while on a trip to Hawaii. It was awesome, my hotel had charging in the garage so I charged up everyday for free.
Why are there so many people on here who just want to hate on everything?

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
ā€œTuro: if you donā€™t like your car, and want to make some money, let strangers pay to beat the hell out of it, because to them its no better than a Camry or similar from Alamoā€™
The abuse is probably particularly bad with cars like Tesla and Rivian. I'm nice to the Malibu from Enterprise because I have low expectations.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
The abuse is probably particularly bad with cars like Tesla and Rivian. I'm nice to the Malibu from Enterprise because I have low expectations.
ive Taken a normal built (so basically an R1T) Mitsubishi mirage on a jeep trail in Sedona.

mechanical sympathy is not for rental cars. šŸ™ƒ

Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I rented a R1T on Turo so we could have a full day with it. We treated it like our own vehicle. I asked the owner if heā€™s ever had any bad experiences with renters, he said itā€™s always been pleasant for his Tesla and Rivian. I personally couldnā€™t do it with my cars, but appreciate that others do šŸ˜…, guess Iā€™m less trusting.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I would not be surprised if Rivian paid Turo for the privilege of being featured in their ad like that. And then Rivian gets to technically keep claiming they donā€™t waste our money on TV ads Because itā€™s a Turo ad, not a Rivian adā€¦
I'd be extremely surprised if Rivian paid for this. There's virtually no chance. Why? They don't need advertising (can't keep up with their existing customers and the review/influencer coverage they get is worth far more than a TV ad that doesn't even mention their name). If they did, they could produce a much better ad themselves.

It's in Turo's best interest to highlight exotic and interesting vehicles on their platform. Rivian is one of the more exciting and novel nameplates on the road today. Turo is winkingly saying "hey, we can get you in one of those cool trucks you've heard about without a two-year waitlist." It's good marketing. But it's for them, not for Rivian.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I'd be extremely surprised if Rivian paid for this. There's virtually no chance. Why? They don't need advertising (can't keep up with their existing customers and the review/influencer coverage they get is worth far more than a TV ad that doesn't even mention their name). If they did, they could produce a much better ad themselves.

It's in Turo's best interest to highlight exotic and interesting vehicles on their platform. Rivian is one of the more exciting and novel nameplates on the road today. Turo is winkingly saying "hey, we can get you in one of those cool trucks you've heard about without a two-year waitlist." It's good marketing. But it's for them, not for Rivian.
You could be entirely correct. Most of Turoā€™s commercials feature just 1 vehicle, like a vintage VW bus or a rich old man renting out his Porsche.

Iā€™m always suspicious itā€™s a paid placement when one product is featured that prominently.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
I agree with previous posters in that Rivian doesn't need to pay to advertise. However, there is something about product placement. When I used to work for a very large tech company, there were teams in each region of the world responsible for product placement.

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

Sadly we beat up our own vehicles and rental properties worse than most of our tenants and those weā€™ve seen rent cars.
We still get what we need from everything and see so busy with work and personal chores that we believe lifeā€™s way too short to spend being fastidious and fretting imperfections
Beauty is only skin deep
Sponsored