First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
Does the Rivian have satellite or some way to access internet or cellular where there are no towers?

I mean I guess the answer is no, but I will go places in New Mexico where there is no phone service and I would pay extra for some way to not be totally isolated if something goes sideways
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

ARMadventures

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, Navigator
Occupation
Logistics
I didn’t see SAT phone as an added option, but that would be a FIRST! 🤣

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
There are some pretty good apps that allow you to plan a route and download the maps for use offline. My favorite is Gaia GPS, but I admit I use it more for hiking and mountain biking vs off-roading or overloading.

https://www.gaiagps.com/offroad/

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/S, Bronco Raptor, Wrangler4xe, Ioniq5, Winbago
Occupation
insurance agent

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Most mainstream vehicles equipped with Sirius XM have a satellite based assistance system. Jeep, Ford, Audi, Porsche, etc. usually have it.
Fair point. In all my years of owning cars with those features I guess I have never used it.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Most mainstream vehicles equipped with Sirius XM have a satellite based assistance system. Jeep, Ford, Audi, Porsche, etc. usually have it.
I'm pretty sure all of these use cellular and wifi for for communications/assistance/maps/navigation, not satellite. They receive GPS satellite signals only for calculating location.

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

Gaia is awesome. And if you're concerned about reaching someone, Garmin InReach is great. I use both backpacking.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I'm pretty sure all of these use cellular and wifi for for communications/assistance/maps/navigation, not satellite. They receive GPS satellite signals only for calculating location.
I can confirm the map will track your location via GPS when you don't have cellular service, and it will accurately update your route to your original destination if you lose service and take a different route. It just doesn't update the map's quality, and viewing an area doesn't cache it.

Is there anything specific you'd like tested @Gavinmcc ? We may be in the wild tomorrow.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It just doesn't update the map's quality, and viewing an area doesn't cache it.
Preloading maps and Spotify songs are two features that would be nice.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I can confirm the map will track your location via GPS when you don't have cellular service, and it will accurately update your route to your original destination if you lose service and take a different route. It just doesn't update the map's quality, and viewing an area doesn't cache it.

Is there anything specific you'd like tested @Gavinmcc ? We may be in the wild tomorrow.
That’s all done onboard…. There is no “request assistance” functionality when outside of cellular connectivity. OnStar, for example, requires cellular to connect to the mothership.

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

The Garmin Inreach Mini is a great little emergency device to have around. It does have a monthly fee but they have various plans depending on how much you plan to use the messaging and tracking features (I pay around $13/mo). It connects to your cell phone for mapping and text messaging but you can also use it by itself to send text messages, get weather updates, and for SOS/SAR callout if necessary. It allows text messaging via satellite so you have 2-way communication available when out of cell range.

I bring it anytime I'm in the backcountry - backpacking, long trail runs in the mountains, backcountry skiing, MTB etc. It's great to have in case of emergencies but also great to be able to send a text to my wife letting her know everything is OK when I'm out of cell range for hours/days at a time. Or get a weather update, etc.

Definitely also a good idea to use a GPS app on your phone or tablet that allows you to download maps in advance - Gaia or Caltopo are both good options, I'm sure there are others.

I know some people also use the larger Garmin GPS devices with screens and preloaded maps but I'm not sure that's a better solution than the phone/tablet apps.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
There are some pretty good apps that allow you to plan a route and download the maps for use offline. My favorite is Gaia GPS, but I admit I use it more for hiking and mountain biking vs off-roading or overloading.

https://www.gaiagps.com/offroad/
Google maps are downloadable and are probably adeqaure for driving.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Google maps are downloadable and are probably adeqaure for driving.
I agree, Google Maps is probably more than adequate for anyone who just needs to find a trailhead, and possibly even follow a commonly used trail or marked road, but apps like Gaia allow you to use Topo maps, as well as BLM and Forest Service maps for times when you are far off the usual roads/ trails. Those maps show little fire roads and other important information that helps you find your way.
Sponsored

Last edited: