Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

Updated with design plans, posted by @LoneStar

https://legistarweb-production.s3.a...nt/pdf/656140/Item_No._4.8_-_Staff_Report.pdf

Exterior view appears to retain that movie theater "headliner" marquee.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian experience center opening in Laguna Beach [updated with design plans] image1-

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian experience center opening in Laguna Beach [updated with design plans] image2-

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian experience center opening in Laguna Beach [updated with design plans] image3-

ORIGINAL POST

https://www.lagunabeachindy.com/rivian-renovate-downtown-theater/

Rivian Given Go Ahead by City to Renovate Downtown Theater

January 8, 2021

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian experience center opening in Laguna Beach [updated with design plans] PLanning-commision-Rivian-600x400

Despite objections by The Laguna Beach Historic Preservation Coalition, the Planning Commission on Wednesday unanimously approved plans to renovate the 1920s-era movie theater on South Coast Highway, in the heart of downtown.

The theater has been shuttered since 2015.

Rivian, an Irvine based electrical vehicle manufacturer, was given the go-ahead to transform the theater, which host films and stage performances for the public as well as serving as a meeting space.

The two-story building across the street from Main Beach will also house a retail and food and beverage space.

Rivian plans for an opening in late 2021.

“I’m really excited about the project,” Commissioner Jorg Dubin said. “I’m happy that the theater is finally going to have something going on there instead of it being empty. I’m fully in favor of the project moving forward.”

Major renovations include the removal of the existing two-screen, 653-seat cinema into a single, 127-seat auditorium. The theater will host up to two film screenings per week and will be available for film premiers and speaker programs to be held quarterly.

The proscenium arch and stage will be restored to its original condition and the original star-shaped ceiling light fixture will be restored and re-located to the auditorium. New skylights will be added and the front entry hall will be redesigned to accommodate Rivian programming.

Two Rivian electric vehicles will be on display in the lobby and an elevator will also be added to allow for access to the second floor.

The original projection room will be converted into a meeting room and a storage room on the second floor will be converted to a conference room.

Rivian also plans to host art exhibitions in the lobby and in the upper level balcony area in conjunction with First Thursday Art Walk.

“I think this is a very creative re-use of the building that is otherwise economically unfeasible,” Commissioner Steve Goldman said. “I think the city is very fortunate to have Rivian do this because in a sense, they are providing the city and the community and the tax base. They are providing value and benefit somewhat as a lost leader in order for them to achieve their primary objective to have a unique project to promote their brand and market their products.”

Believed to be the first concrete and steel structure in the city, the theater was constructed in 1934 by the Aufdenkamp family and named the New Lynn Theatre when it opened in 1935.

The theater has been operated by several owners over the years before closing about six years ago, due mainly to the costs of upgrading the projection room to a digital format.

Commission Chairwoman Susan McLintock Whitten voiced strong support for the project, saying the theater would help rejuvenate downtown. “I think it’s a great use and in the perfect location,” Whitten said. “I think it’s very symbiotic with Laguna, Laguna’s values, community, sustainability and education. It’s relevant. Its timely. This is the beginning of a new era of hopefulness and this project ties into that in a broad way and in a very local way. It’s an anchor for the reinvigoration of downtown.”

The Laguna Beach Historic Preservation Coalition, in a letter sent to the Planning Commission, objected to the current proposal, saying the project doesn’t retain enough of the theater’s original historical elements.

While the project includes “very welcome restoration of some features, it is more aptly characterized as a substantial remodel that involves the demolition of historic spaces, features, materials, and finishes,” the letter stated. “The Coalition has no objection to Rivian as an owner or tenant, or to the uses, in principle, to which they propose to put the property. But what is proposed is too much for a building whose historic significance is intimately connected to its history as Laguna’s main and, for many decades, only movie theater and to its association with a family whose business was bringing the movies to Laguna.”

However, Commissioner Anne Johnson said the theater’s renovation was never meant to be a restoration project.

“That wasn’t what any of us expected, I don’t think,” Johnson said. “The project I think is a great example of adaptive re-use and rehabilitation.

Goldman agreed adding the building might stay vacant indefinitely if the commission didn’t move forward with Rivian’s proposal.

“Without a project like, this, we would just have a vacant building,” Goldman said. “I would much rather have a vibrant and active building that embraces the community that provides fiscal benefit, that is unique and makes a statement (about) our city, rather than a vacant building that will decay in order to preserve historic standards that I think the majority of the town, including me, doesn’t completely understand.”
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
This will be 20 minutes from my house. Maybe I can get a job running the performance space.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
What a joke. The historical group lost their historical preservation objections by an unanimous vote. So now they are trying to use an environmental statute CEQA to block the remodel of an existing building into a - let me check my notes - center that promotes electric vehicles and environmental sustainability. This appeal will fail, but hopefully they slap this person down for abusing the process by waging their historical preservation agenda through environmental statutes.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
What a joke. The historical group lost their historical preservation objections by an unanimous vote. So now they are trying to use an environmental statute CEQA to block the remodel of an existing building into a - let me check my notes - center that promotes electric vehicles and environmental sustainability. This appeal will fail, but hopefully they slap this person down for abusing the process by waging their historical preservation agenda through environmental statutes.
Mostly agreed. Has anyone seen a rendering of what Rivian wants to do to the exterior? I'm curious if they'll be retaining the historical look/charm of the facade? If so, the historical group can pound sound, as far as I'm concerned. However, if Rivian is going to make significant changes to the facade then I could see a valid argument for requiring Rivian to refactor the design to be more respectful for the historical significance of the location and it's architecture.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

There's always some idiot or group that will fight against any development. It is high time to ignore these idiots unless they are prepared to buy the place so they can restore it the way they like.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
Mostly agreed. Has anyone seen a rendering of what Rivian wants to do to the exterior? I'm curious if they'll be retaining the historical look/charm of the facade? If so, the historical group can pound sound, as far as I'm concerned. However, if Rivian is going to make significant changes to the facade then I could see a valid argument for requiring Rivian to refactor the design to be more respectful for the historical significance of the location and it's architecture.
Except, the building is sitting untenanted and rotting. There is no one willing to spend the money to rebuild it as it looked just so they can watch their investment fail.

If Rivian doesn't buy it it will probably be demolished and turned into regular shops.

I don't really see why Rivian should have to maintain any historical aspect, but I think kudos to them for being willing to.

I also think this was their first concept for a showroom. Now that they want functional service centers asap, I think they might use this person's obstructionism as an excuse to drop the whole thing.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Last edited:

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
https://www.lagunabeachindy.com/downtown-laguna-theater-project-gets-green-light-after-appeal-is-withdrawn/ said:
Among a list of improvements, Rivian agreed to reconstruct the original marquee, Juliet balcony, and French doors to restore the theater facade’s original condition based on historical evidence. The auditorium’s plaster ceiling will also be reconstructed at the original height.
And that's what should happen. Glad everyone came to an agreement rather than litigate nonsense.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

The last paragraph doesn't give me warm fuzzies for a 2021 opening...

"The project’s developers planned to host a ribbon-cutting by the end of this year but that timeline will need to be reevaluated, said Denise Cherry, senior director of design and facilities at Rivian."

...we shall see

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The last paragraph doesn't give me warm fuzzies for a 2021 opening...

"The project’s developers planned to host a ribbon-cutting by the end of this year but that timeline will need to be reevaluated, said Denise Cherry, senior director of design and facilities at Rivian."

...we shall see
I'm not expecting any of these experience centers to be central to OUR buying process but at least they will be there for the next generation of customer. RJ has explicitly mentioned the ability to come to us and I am expecting that's how we early buyers will get our first hands on.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I'm not expecting any of these experience centers to be central to OUR buying process but at least they will be there for the next generation of customer. RJ has explicitly mentioned the ability to come to us and I am expecting that's how we early buyers will get our first hands on.
Interesting take, if I had to guess I think they will get Chicago up and running in short order. Proximity to the factory would make it ideal for deliveries and rollout.

CA always takes longer especially in the location they chose.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs