kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

https://www.thedrive.com/news/38693...dwoEGK2Q9PbnxUQx4kp1GzmqZKfUPrdYvLIwPzSfOcVVY

Hyundai announced it was spinning off its electric vehicles into a standalone brand before it was cool with the creation of the Ioniq brand, and Ioniq's first vehicle is exactly what you'd expect in 2021: a midsize crossover. Hyundai teased the new Ioniq 5 today with some cute videos of its new battery tech in action, one of which claims it can get over 62 miles on just five-minutes of charging.
The Ioniq 5 is based on the Hyundai 45 Concept from the 2019 Frankfurt International Motor Show, and it looks slick, with wheels and wheel arches reminiscent of a camera shutter. We've lightened a couple of the teaser images to show more of the car, but it looks fairly similar to the angular concept so far.
Rivian R1T R1S A New Player Has Entered the Game: Ioniq 5 Crossover F1610507436331-photo_3_ioniq_5_teaser_image_sideab

The front features futuristic arrays of lights that Hyundai says were inspired by pixels. It also has a cool clamshell hood to minimize panel gaps—a feature more often found on sports cars like the BMW Z3, Aston Martin DB11 or Pontiac Solstice. It also has the largest wheels ever fitted to a Hyundai at 20 inches each, but they look proportional here.
This is the first car based on Hyundai's new E-GMP platform, which will serve as the basis for a total of 23 new EVs over the next five years.
Hyundai wanted to show off the practicality of the Ioniq 5's EV tech, so it's starting off by demonstrating its fast-charging tech and its 3.5-kW vehicle-to-load (V2L) system in a handful of teaser videos.

Rivian R1T R1S A New Player Has Entered the Game: Ioniq 5 Crossover 1610562569719

V2L allows the Ioniq 5 to act as one big power supply capable of powering 110- and 220-volt gadgets, which Hyundai demonstrated with a camping trip where the Ioniq 5 powers a series of ever-larger gadgets, starting with an oven, then a home stereo system and finally, a full-size treadmill. All I know is, I'm not helping y'all pack that back up, but it would come in handy for actually paying attention to the action with a little TV at an endurance race. (I'm still sad about missing Sebring last year.)
Its last teaser is the most impressive for everyday use, though. Hyundai claims that the Ioniq 5 is capable of delivering over 62 miles (100 kilometers) of range on a single five-minute charge using the WLTP standard.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
https://www.thedrive.com/news/38693...dwoEGK2Q9PbnxUQx4kp1GzmqZKfUPrdYvLIwPzSfOcVVY

Hyundai announced it was spinning off its electric vehicles into a standalone brand before it was cool with the creation of the Ioniq brand, and Ioniq's first vehicle is exactly what you'd expect in 2021: a midsize crossover. Hyundai teased the new Ioniq 5 today with some cute videos of its new battery tech in action, one of which claims it can get over 62 miles on just five-minutes of charging.
The Ioniq 5 is based on the Hyundai 45 Concept from the 2019 Frankfurt International Motor Show, and it looks slick, with wheels and wheel arches reminiscent of a camera shutter. We've lightened a couple of the teaser images to show more of the car, but it looks fairly similar to the angular concept so far.
F1610507436331-photo_3_ioniq_5_teaser_image_sideab.jpg

The front features futuristic arrays of lights that Hyundai says were inspired by pixels. It also has a cool clamshell hood to minimize panel gaps—a feature more often found on sports cars like the BMW Z3, Aston Martin DB11 or Pontiac Solstice. It also has the largest wheels ever fitted to a Hyundai at 20 inches each, but they look proportional here.
This is the first car based on Hyundai's new E-GMP platform, which will serve as the basis for a total of 23 new EVs over the next five years.
Hyundai wanted to show off the practicality of the Ioniq 5's EV tech, so it's starting off by demonstrating its fast-charging tech and its 3.5-kW vehicle-to-load (V2L) system in a handful of teaser videos.

1610562569719.png

V2L allows the Ioniq 5 to act as one big power supply capable of powering 110- and 220-volt gadgets, which Hyundai demonstrated with a camping trip where the Ioniq 5 powers a series of ever-larger gadgets, starting with an oven, then a home stereo system and finally, a full-size treadmill. All I know is, I'm not helping y'all pack that back up, but it would come in handy for actually paying attention to the action with a little TV at an endurance race. (I'm still sad about missing Sebring last year.)
Its last teaser is the most impressive for everyday use, though. Hyundai claims that the Ioniq 5 is capable of delivering over 62 miles (100 kilometers) of range on a single five-minute charge using the WLTP standard.

Interesting - from a marketing standpoint this is probably the first EV that might vie for Rivian's target audience. I'm not completely sold on the "live your indoors life outdoors" messaging though. It's grating, to be honest.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Interesting - from a marketing standpoint this is probably the first EV that might vie for Rivian's target audience. I'm not completely sold on the "live your indoors life outdoors" messaging though. It's grating, to be honest.
Agreed they seem to be going after the same marketspace which will only shake things up!

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Agreed they seem to be going after the same marketspace which will only shake things up!
Are we looking at the same car?

This is a small crossover.

Anyone looking at the R1T is completely disinterested.

Anyone looking at the R1S who actually *needs* a full sized SUV is likewise disinterested.

I'm happy for every new major player that pops up in the EV space, but Rivian and Hyundai are going for completely different parts of the market here.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Anyone looking at the R1S who actually *needs* a full sized SUV is likewise disinterested.

I'm happy for every new major player that pops up in the EV space, but Rivian and Hyundai are going for completely different parts of the market here.
I agree. However, there seem to be plenty of people who will cross-shop anything with 4 tires and an electric motor(s) - especially if they appear in a commercial with trees and/or goats.

Sponsored

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
I agree. However, there seem to be plenty of people who will cross-shop anything with 4 tires and an electric motor(s) - especially if they appear in a commercial with trees and/or goats.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

This may not be the place/thread to say it, but the "cross-shopping" of E-trucks will definitely get real once Ford releases the electrified F-150. I bet they'll have one starting with mid-class features/luxury like their Lariat trim around $45-50K, and then high trims (Platinum/Limited) more equivalent to Rivian market segment >$65K.

I know range, power, sophistication etc. are likely key differentiators with the Rivians, but the off-road/adventure/utility market as a whole will broaden significantly with the e-F150 offerings. And then GM & FCA (and Toyota, Nissan, etc) within the next 3-5 years will make it very interesting to watch how Rivian stays ahead of the game - which I believe they will.

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
Trying to post with a three year old and a five year old using me as a jungle Jim . This is a Hyundai after all, owned By the Koreans whom claim the Kia as their expensive father whom at one point had a buy one get one Kia Rio. So my thoughts on quality, especially after working on them as a mechanic at a dealership. is that anyone with longevity in mind will stay far away from them. Anything so ridiculously cheap, plastic parts, and continued feet’s of engineering genius are just waiting for the toe truck and a line at the dealership to get the latest recalls.
y

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher

Yeah. No thanks. If I wanted a small crossover I have a lot of other options now and many more coming in the next couple years.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition

Maybe I should clarify - what I meant is that in their marketing they are similar to Rivian in deciding to lead with outdoorsy/camping oriented material. Someone who wants a vehicle for those purposes will consequently have their curiousity piqued by both vehicles, even if they are fundamentally different in size and capability.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Maybe I should clarify - what I meant is that in their marketing they are similar to Rivian in deciding to lead with outdoorsy/camping oriented material. Someone who wants a vehicle for those purposes will consequently have their curiousity piqued by both vehicles, even if they are fundamentally different in size and capability.

This is what I was mainly going at, obviously no one will compare a 7 passenger vehicle to a 4 passenger CUV but from a outdoorsy marketing perspective it's very similar Target audience wise.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Their ads seem to be making fun of the camping crowd's reasons for being "out there". Not sure they're going to grab any of that audience's consideration.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Their ads seem to be making fun of the camping crowd's reasons for being "out there". Not sure they're going to grab any of that audience's consideration.
But they still chose to use the outdoors significantly in their marketing instead of going with the standard b-roll of car cruising down random urban streets. Perhaps what you might be getting at is that there is a spectrum of needs for folks who go outdoors, and they might not agree with one another. Glamping vs. overlanding, for example. Ionic might lean to the former as opposed to the latter.
Sponsored