Sponsored

A new —wireless— charging standard

MadMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Tesla Model 3
We know inductive charging from our phones. But it’s been too expensive for car charging —this new standard may drive it towards OEM status. While I find plugging in my Tesla easy, the convenience of this is hard to deny —and then my wife would automatically charge at home as well.
I don’t know how Rivian handles underbody protection and this sort of system, so that’s probably an additional hurdle right there.
https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...ctric-cars-wireless-charging-pads/6428778002/
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
This is going to be one of those things determined by the market. If people want it it will sell but it isn't something I'd want to pay extra for. It is less efficient than a direct connection but not so much so that your electric bill will be changed dramatically. It does help in "dumbing down" BEVs, though.

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
This would be nice, especially for fleet vehicles.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
The big push here in the wireless charging has focused on busses and taxis because they spend a lot of time doing similar routes and stopping at the same major locations. Based on some podcasts from folks making this tech and pushing for this tech, it helps keep those vehicles moving all day. The other place is on-street parking. Both seem pretty cool.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I see a good application for locations like airports and other parking garages where early levels of autonomy would allow EVs to "self park", then move to free up the charging spot when finished.
Would be nice to have your car drop you at the curb, go park itself, then pick you up when needed.
I can see this as a baby step in allowing autonomous operation by operating in a fairly controlled environment.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
I see a good application for locations like airports and other parking garages where early levels of autonomy would allow EVs to "self park", then move to free up the charging spot when finished.
Would be nice to have your car drop you at the curb, go park itself, then pick you up when needed.
I can see this as a baby step in allowing autonomous operation by operating in a fairly controlled environment.
Just to be snarky, I've never been in an airport whose parking lot could be called a "controlled environment."

Mass chaos comes much closer. :eek:
Sponsored