Sponsored

A look at Rivian key fob - carabiner shape and colors

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Here’s something I saw elsewhere that I don’t think we’ve discussed yet - the key fob. Interesting - carabiner shape.

Rivian R1T R1S A look at Rivian key fob - carabiner shape and colors 0E3A5FEF-3D65-4BDA-9904-6A32DC8CC06B
Sponsored

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
Hard to see in that picture because of low light and angle, is that all the different options for key fobs? Or is that the progression of the design process? Very neat idea and love that it's waterproof! But yeah, hopefully it's not at the expense of bulk.

@jimcgov3 just curious, why don't you like key cards?

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Hard to see in that picture because of low light and angle, is that all the different options for key fobs? Or is that the progression of the design process? Very neat idea and love that it's waterproof! But yeah, hopefully it's not at the expense of bulk.

@jimcgov3 just curious, why don't you like key cards?
You have to touch them just right on the B pillar and then touch it to the center console and per quite a few videos from customers of the Model 3, they were too unreliable.

Last edited:

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Granted I am not a Rivian employee and I came up with this idea just a little too late, but it would awesome if Rivian used their logo as a fob. It has 4 quadrants and you could add a 5th in the center. All you would have to do is make the button black and you wouldn't mess with the original asthetics of the design.

Rivian R1T R1S A look at Rivian key fob - carabiner shape and colors Capture.PNG

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Granted I am not a Rivian employee and I came up with this idea just a little too late, but it would awesome if Rivian used their logo as a fob. It has 4 quadrants and you could add a 5th in the center. All you would have to do is make the button black and you wouldn't mess with the original asthetics of the design.

Capture.PNG
That would be pretty cool, and also ptractical in that it would be easy to find the correct buttons by feel.

joekeays

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Nissan Pathfinder
Occupation
Designer
I hope delivery includes 2 key fobs. I understand the phone/app can act as a fob but I am not around my phone all the time and my wife and I will be sharing the R1S a lot. Thanks for reading! Peace

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
As long as it isn't too bulky. Even double-sided would be cool just to keep the overall width and size down.

The Model S key fob is perfect in size.

Please no key card.
If there was a card instead and no key fob, I will drop the reservation in a heartbeat. I had a model 3 loaner, other than it drives poorly, this whole card thing was absolute garbage. In Chicago, if the wind is hitting the driver side during snow, you have to shove that card through the snow to get it close enough, then wipe it off so put in the center console. It also does not read through your wallet sometimes, so you have to fiddle with it. One of the VERY few things I like about the Model S/X is that I never have to take the fob out of my pocket, to unlock, drive, or lock.

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Capture.PNG
This blast from the past recirculated after 18 months of nothing...So now it is a good idea?? hahahaha

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
This blast from the past recirculated after 18 months of nothing...So now it is a good idea?? hahahaha
Jim I know you do water sports and my wife and I do some surfing/paddle boarding, do we know if this carabiner fob is waterproof for sure? (I may have missed it).

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Jim I know you do water sports and my wife and I do some surfing/paddle boarding, do we know if this carabiner fob is waterproof for sure? (I may have missed it).
Everything I have seen said that it was waterproof. Let me do some researching and I will edit this post.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Keep in mind it almost certainly doesn't float. As someone who has witnessed multiple waterproof smartphones sink to the bottom of the river or lake it can be of little consolation that it's waterproof.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Keep in mind it almost certainly doesn't float. As someone who has witnessed multiple waterproof smartphones sink to the bottom of the river or lake it can be of little consolation that it's waterproof.
That's why the carabiner makes a difference. Attach it to something that does float, or that you won't lose on the bottom of the lake.
Sponsored