Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Took the Rivian loaded up with the four of us and the Long Dog down to Hollister from the Coastside yesterday - just shy of 100 miles one-way there. Left at 85%, arrived at around 52%. So 33%, around 40kWh, used on the way down. About normal for Conserve in/around the bay area at higher speeds.

Got to Hollister just shy of 11, did the trails around the 4-wheel section of the park, then goofed off in the the Obstacle Course area for another hour or so. A few built Jeep rigs, a ton of Side-by-Sides (and a couple of them were monsters). While I’ve been an avid off-roader since I was a kid, I’m still on 21” A/S - they performed spectacularly for what they are. Absolutely have their limitations, but for the vast majority of what I’ll be doing close-ish to home - perfect.

The water pit was only about 2’ deep. The looks I got when about to enter it from those that knew it was an electric vehicle … priceless.

Return home: charged at the EA in Watsonville (mobile reader wasn’t working, but otherwise 90kW from 40-81%). Got lunch at The Crazy Chicken across the parking lot, upping the charge max from 70% right about the time my food arrived. Drove through Santa Cruz, grabbed cookies at Pacific Cookie Company (as one does). Other than my center console finally deciding to stop working (it’s been trying to since new), truck was flawless.

Some pics for fun.

Rivian R1T R1S A little off-roading in Hollister w/ the R1T 61C5AC01-E6EF-4C3C-A376-C82386B84FBE

Rivian R1T R1S A little off-roading in Hollister w/ the R1T 3C36C9DE-3827-4599-9374-AEDC9E581FF5

Rivian R1T R1S A little off-roading in Hollister w/ the R1T 61BD128B-FAC3-43E6-8EE8-C8A585A92637

Rivian R1T R1S A little off-roading in Hollister w/ the R1T E0A6CE1B-61EF-4190-A4D0-F55C110FB7E0

Rivian R1T R1S A little off-roading in Hollister w/ the R1T 10F8C82A-ED07-4DE2-BB82-1E8BFE35A32E
Sponsored

Last edited:

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Been to Hollister many times (Land Rovers and Jeep). Fun place.
It’s amazing what street tires can do. I’ve witnessed that first and surprised many witnesses with their air downed 40s MT.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That looks like fun! Next time don't forget to add at least 1 pic of long dog in the mix :confused:

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I wasn’t able to see it happen - was focusing on getting around another minor obstacle. Both kids simultaneously started yelling and I thought I f**ked up and we were the ones about to crash. Daughter caught the flip back to the wheels on video. Wish I could post it here.

The kids driving that SBS were ok - chatted with other bystanders, sounds like it was what you said,. Came in over-hot and under-skilled.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
That looks like fun! Next time don't forget to add at least 1 pic of long dog in the mix :confused:
BEHOLD … Long Dog on lap of strangely blue-faced son of mine.

Rivian R1T R1S A little off-roading in Hollister w/ the R1T 7DB964D2-C687-44D0-8BE4-181542BDB7F6

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
BEHOLD … Long Dog on lap of strangely blue-faced son of mine.

7DB964D2-C687-44D0-8BE4-181542BDB7F6.jpeg
Long dog is way too comfortable. And you might need to get your son to a doctor about that skin condition.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I wasn’t able to see it happen - was focusing on getting around another minor obstacle. Both kids simultaneously started yelling and I thought I f**ked up and we were the ones about to crash. Daughter caught the flip back to the wheels on video. Wish I could post it here.

The kids driving that SBS were ok - chatted with other bystanders, sounds like it was what you said,. Came in over-hot and under-skilled.
I keep seeing "near misses" with kids in those off-road toys … especially on the beach … really horrifying to see children throwing 1000lbs of metal around at 50 mph. Seems like "every" time we go to Pismo Beach, there's a population of indestructible imbeciles expecting us to share in their Darwin Award attempts.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I think he may have a calling....is he into music?
1676924624483.png
The question on my mind is if his son blue himself, or if someone else blue him.

Sponsored

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Wow on 21’s? That’s wild. What did you air down to?

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Left them at 50. Figured I’d air down if things got hairy, but never needed it.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Left them at 50. Figured I’d air down if things got hairy, but never needed it.
Wow. I’ve never off roaded before on purpose. Seems the street tires are very capable— where does the AT tread become the most beneficial? I know sidewall height was also a concern.

are the 21” wheels as strong as the forged wheels?

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Wow. I’ve never off roaded before on purpose. Seems the street tires are very capable— where does the AT tread become the most beneficial? I know sidewall height was also a concern.

are the 21” wheels as strong as the forged wheels?
If it gets chunky, rooted, rocky, sharp in any way, or a condition where you need to air down (rock crawling, soft sand, etc) then ATs are much better than AS.

Side note: I’ve always run ATs on my trucks. Always. This is the first time I stuck with AS and am pretty shocked at how well they performed. The plan is to go to ATs this summer for an off-road trip where getting stuck or blowing a sidewall means potentially days of walking.

In deep mud, ATs will be better than AS but you’re going to get into trouble quickly without MT-rated tires.

For snow, you’re going to get a variety of answers. But AS is just fine (if it’s not icy) under most conditions. The truck does the traction work for you.

Jhawk

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Highlander, Tundra
Occupation
Marketing
My 12yr old son and I went to the off-road park below the dam and spillways at the lake we go to. The surfaces are pretty rugged stripped to bedrock with some water crossings with larger rocks. We aired down to about 35-38lbs on the 21s just to test it out and I think it made the ride a lot softer over the larger bumps. I certainly would have liked some more sidewall but I could only find one small scratch on the 21s after. Pretty surprised how well they did.

The onboard air compressor worked great to air back up to 50lbs when we were done and probably could be done in under 10mins easily.

Rivian R1T R1S A little off-roading in Hollister w/ the R1T 4EFDCAE4-F317-4012-8085-5C4D43EFC040
Sponsored