myboodai

myboodai

First Name
Mohammed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Speaking as a Rivian shareholder, the last thing I want Rivian to do is pull resources away from trying to get their R1 vehicles ramped up, a critical task for the future of their company, and redesigning elements of the R1T (power cover - which impacts me directly) to go chase down some random R1T that someone decided to ship to Kuwait knowing that they were basically on their own.

Even if Rivian sent a delegation to Kuwait to fix this dudes truck - what happens in a few weeks or months when it inevitably needs another service for something? They are going to keep diverting engineering, equipment, and, and bandwidth away from their already stretched thin resources in North America to placate someone who made a bonehead decision and doesn't want to own up to it?

No thank you.

No ill will towards the OP. I genuinely hope that Rivian helps him remotely and gets him to a point where the R1T is operational. If I were him, I would enjoy it for week - then put it on a cargo container back to the US to be sold while he can still get good resale value.
You make the assumption that all Rivian R1T's are going to have an issue that requires an on site Tech. I simply don't believe this at all. yes they have recalls like re-torqueing bolts which can be done by a non-Rivian tech. But in general you hear about a lot of issues on these forums but that is not all Rivian owners. To have a level of expectation that you spend 100K on a truck that it will last for a period of time with manageable issues is not outside of reason. Also to have the expectation that Rivian would have the ability to remote diagnose the truck is also not outside of reason. To tell the OP basically that he is an idiot for doing what he did and that he should cut his losses is probably not the best look or advice. If the OP has the money to not only purchase a Rivian, ship it to the other side of the world, willing to pay for a tech to come to him to repair the Truck then again I don't believe he is unreasonable for doing what he did. Kuwait is a beautiful place and if I was a Rivian tech I would already have taken him up on his offer and be on a plane to fix his truck.

Also I do find it odd that you are pressing so hard for him to ship it back as if Rivian's are not allowed outside of the US... Also I get the impression that OP is not worried about losing money on this deal. I don't believe it is a driving factor for him
Thats all true thanks for clarifying on my behalf, well said
Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Why should Rivian stop at this R1T? Let's just start selling R1Ts on the secondary market to all kinds of countries across the world where Rivian doesn't currently sell or operate.

Where do you draw the line?
That's called "straw arguments" … making silly assertions that someone has proposed silly ideas.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
When is the right time for Rivian to provide a comprehensive maintenance/service manual? Willl owners ever have the right to repair?
Right-to-repair should apply before purchase. I don't think this is a right to repair case, it's more of a "why not help?" case. What would it cost Rivian and what harm would it do to spend the next couple of days trying to get this Rivian running?
They might even need to write some unique "revive" code for OTA to convince this one vehicle to decide to allow itself to run the traction battery at 11% instead of 12.2% so long as it's plugged into AC for example.
As a career software person, I devour these opportunities to stress my designs, to put on the "architect" hat and get my team into a crisis formation … Apollo 13, "Houston, we have a problem."
I imagine everyone in R&D at Rivian would love to get this Rivian running; to prove they can, to learn why it was difficult, to make their product that much better.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Right-to-repair should apply before purchase. I don't think this is a right to repair case, it's more of a "why not help?" case.

snip......
I wouldn't disagree at all, but believe proper manuals would help this owner now as well as others in the future.

And I would suggest the two are related.

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

That's called "straw arguments" … making silly assertions that someone has proposed silly ideas.
It's not a straw argument, it is called a slippery slope. Rivian would set a precedent for providing support outside of their established guidelines in North America. They have zero need, incentive, or bandwidth to do that now - or in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Thanks for the advice but i still have hope that its going to get fixed within a month max, people here are so kind to offer helpful advice and some of them reached out to me via video calls to guide me on what to do, whenever I exhaust my options im going to send it to a garage in Dubai that worked on Rivian that i just came to know about. Please have a look at the attached picture, I haven’t thought that some of the members might guide me to right direction as if it was their personal problem.

im greatful and I believe i will get it running very soon.

ADD42CB1-8F9B-4983-BF43-68C484759DC4.png
@myboodai, good luck to you and I hope you do get the R1T operational. I think living in Kuwait without official service options is still going to be extremely challenging in the long term, and potentially could void your Rivian warranty on top of it if you end up with service that is not authorized by Rivian.

I'm not saying Rivian would do this, but Tesla has bricked vehicles remotely when service was done that wasn't authorized - especially to components like the battery.

I hope you are able to get the R1T running and experience some of the joys that owners here in the US have.

Good luck!

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

That is exactly what is going to happen and Rivian can't stop it. You can right now buy Rivian R1T battery packs on the secondary market. Actually you can buy wreaked R1T's they are current rare but they are out there. This doesn't get smaller the more Rivian's out there the more things like this will happen.
Actually, Rivian can stop it. Unfortunately. Just like Tesla can stop it. Go ask Rich Rebuilds what happens to him when he tries to work on Teslas.

Not saying it is right or wrong - but one of the things that always comes up with cars that have this level of connectivity and technology - is who owns the vehicle? If Rivian decides it isn't going to let you work on the vehicle outside of the scope of Rivian Service - they can reach into your R1T and brick it.

OP
OP
myboodai

myboodai

First Name
Mohammed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
When will your ccs adapter arrive, and when will you be able to try DC fast charging it? I'm very curious to see if it'll work.
Im expecting it to arrive at the end of the month or earlier

kayabusa

First Name
Leandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Printer
I hear people from Brazil that are exporting R1T's to south America, how crazy their are, how the think they are going to service, do a recall, a repair, a crash..... It just beyond me.
Now reading your post from Kuwait, you went ever further !!! I realize that people goes beyond the unimaginable for something they really like, they push the boundaries and take the risk not matter how impossible look..... It just amazing. I'm pretty sure you will fix your Rivian and you will be making many many miles on it.

Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

But if they want to build a good reputation
“Reputation-building” is at the “Love” or “Esteem” level of the pyramid. Right now Rivian is still struggling for air, water and shelter.

Athena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Im expecting it to arrive at the end of the month or earlier
My husband had a similar issue with his Tesla. He googled self-help videos on youtube and was able to solve on his own. Try looking on youtube, etc and see what you can find. Even if it is tesla only, may provide some guidance.....

OP
OP
myboodai

myboodai

First Name
Mohammed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
When will your ccs adapter arrive, and when will you be able to try DC fast charging it? I'm very curious to see if it'll work.
I will probably receive it by end of the month or earlier

Avera

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid
Occupation
Obsessive Forum Reader
I understand that the truck had to be put in shipping mode, but why? Imagine having your truck shipped remotely from coast to coast, delayed due to some weather, strike, whatever, only to find out that is arrived dead due to shipping company error. This should be addressed by Rivian. Simple check of GPS to see that truck is moving but no driver inside, for days, in that case: shut battery down to preserve power.

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

I understand that the truck had to be put in shipping mode, but why? Imagine having your truck shipped remotely from coast to coast, delayed due to some weather, strike, whatever, only to find out that is arrived dead due to shipping company error. This should be addressed by Rivian. Simple check of GPS to see that truck is moving but no driver inside, for days, in that case: shut battery down to preserve power.
Automation is great for a lot of things but not really sure it is best for off nominal cases that have a defined procedure.

At what point do you shut down. What if you want to track the location or want to have quick access to the vehicle while towing. And most automation would usually require a way to enable and inhibit (e.g. auto height) so at that point you are back to user control and don’t really need the automation.

Automation is best for repetitive and frequent tasks. I don’t think this qualifies.

Given the severity of the issue, I would rather have Rivian add some automated procedures that walk you through these types of things. Shipping, storing, tire changes, towing. Something that would guide you through the process.
Sponsored