EVerywhere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C8 Corvette, Cayenne, Mk8 GTI, KTM 350-XCFW
Occupation
Technology
Clubs

After much waiting, and a false alert where tragically my assigned VIN (102xx) was sent several states away, I finally picked up my second assigned VIN (108xx) R1T from the Michigan SC (which was the original Rivian HQ) yesterday. Truck has 72 miles at delivery, so clearly was used for something, or something needed fixing/road testing at the factory. Here are a few photos, and some initial observations.

Rivian R1T R1S A few thoughts & photos 24 hours into Forest Green R1T ownership 20220913_234943657_iOS

The R1T replaces a Cayenne Diesel as my DD. Despite much marketing hype, it turned out that my Cayenne Diesel was green in color only. Although, with the Malone tune it has over 500 ft lbs and gets 33-34 mpg on a run.

Rivian R1T R1S A few thoughts & photos 24 hours into Forest Green R1T ownership 20220913_182228758_iOS

For the first couple of hours I was a little disappointed with the fit and finish on the R1T. I was comparing it to the Cayenne which has a ton of not cheap leather/interior options. Then I settled into the knowledge that these are different types of vehicles, with somewhat different use-cases, and for a truck the fit and finish, panel gaps, NVH are very good and way better than any of the direct competition. I'm already hooked on the instant torque of the R1T.

I had to reboot the IVI system 10 minutes into ownership to login to Alexa (I love this forum). Initially Alexa seemed quite helpful, but she is now mostly uncooperative: complaining of connection errors, not understanding the question/command (how difficult is "navigate to Target"?), or being otherwise MIA. I like the big screen, and the nav system seems to have little difficulty if I use the virtual keyboard rather than voice. I miss CarPlay already, having to pick up my phone to call people (Alexa gets it right about 30% of the time) or change what I'm listening to. I'm hoping that the monthly OTA updates continue to add useful functionality and smooth off the rough edges. As a motorcycle rider I was surprised to see the minivan in front of me identified as a motorcycle, I guess everything is putting weight on these days. On the subject of weight, the R1T is truly remarkable in its ability to disguise its 7+k weight.

Rivian R1T R1S A few thoughts & photos 24 hours into Forest Green R1T ownership 20220913_205858207_iOS

With all the talk of phantom drain, I decided to leave the R1T unlocked in my garage without charging it to see what happened to %charge overnight. Not a long test, but I can live with 1% in nearly 12 hours, much better than some of the horror stories that I read.
Rivian R1T R1S A few thoughts & photos 24 hours into Forest Green R1T ownership Phantom Drain

With regen on high I did not need to use the friction brakes yesterday, which prompted me to take a look at the discs this morning and conclude that they needed bedding-in. So with regen on standard I did a bunch of 55-10 mph braking progressing gentle to threshold to transfer pad material to the discs followed by a long cooldown (which is easier with regen braking). Much better stopping power and no grinding on friction braking. If any owners have not done this it is a safety must. Its difficult to see the slight bluish tint to the discs with pad material transferred.
Rivian R1T R1S A few thoughts & photos 24 hours into Forest Green R1T ownership Bed-I

I eased my anxiety of dropping from 700 miles/tank range to <300/charge with every adapter I thought might be useful: Tesla-J1772, NEMA 14-30P and 10-30P to 14-50 adapters, and a 20' 40A J1772 extension. I decided that storing them under the rear seat would mean that they were easily accessible when the frunk is full, and that the copper would be pliable in very cold weather. Great plan, apart from the banging every time I go over a bump. I've ordered a couple of bags from Amazon which will fit alongside the Rivian charge bag and hopefully fix the issue.

Rivian R1T R1S A few thoughts & photos 24 hours into Forest Green R1T ownership Cable storage

Overall paint quality is not quite up to Porsche standards, but is certainly a match for the paint on my C8 Corvette (painted in a new $500M paint shop). I'm going to run over it with a random orbital using Menzerna SI polish, which I've had great results with on other cars (its designed to level new car clearcoat). I'm going to be gentle, but it should take out much of the optical waviness in the clear coat before I get the front end PPF'd next week.

And finally, for my granola-munching brethren: I see your store bought granola, and raise you home made granola!
Rivian R1T R1S A few thoughts & photos 24 hours into Forest Green R1T ownership Granola
Sponsored

Last edited:

R1T-USN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
’19 X5 40i, ’07 X5 4.8, ’98 M Roadster
Thanks for sharing ! Granola sounds good about now

sherold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S3, VW Atlas
Great intro and excellent choice on color. I get many many compliments on the color in-person.

Very good point on bedding in the brakes. I have been so caught up being thrilled by not needing to use them that I overlooked the fact of doing this for when I actually will need them!

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Which green is your cayenne?

Sponsored

OP
OP
EVerywhere

EVerywhere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technology
Clubs

The Cayenne is Jet Green, I waited 6 months for it to be built – seemed like an eternity, but now I know better. I'm happy that FG is somewhere between Jet Green and Launch Green, I think it suits the R1T better than Jet Green would. I was worried that they would be too similar.

Standard height on the R1T is a noticeable step up from getting into the Cayenne. On the way out, my brain has not got used to the extra drop yet. I'm 6'2" and physically its not an issue, although I worry a little about side bolster wear on the seat. The auto drop on park feature would be nice. Definitely going to get PPF put on the door treads.

Geocvl

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, Mini Cooper S
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

After much waiting, and a false alert where tragically my assigned VIN (102xx) was sent several states away, I finally picked up my second assigned VIN (108xx) R1T from the Michigan SC (which was the original Rivian HQ) yesterday. Truck has 72 miles at delivery, so clearly was used for something, or something needed fixing/road testing at the factory. Here are a few photos, and some initial observations.

20220913_234943657_iOS.jpg

The R1T replaces a Cayenne Diesel as my DD. Despite much marketing hype, it turned out that my Cayenne Diesel was green in color only. Although, with the Malone tune it has over 500 ft lbs and gets 33-34 mpg on a run.

20220913_182228758_iOS.png

For the first couple of hours I was a little disappointed with the fit and finish on the R1T. I was comparing it to the Cayenne which has a ton of not cheap leather/interior options. Then I settled into the knowledge that these are different types of vehicles, with somewhat different use-cases, and for a truck the fit and finish, panel gaps, NVH are very good and way better than any of the direct competition. I'm already hooked on the instant torque of the R1T.

I had to reboot the IVI system 10 minutes into ownership to login to Alexa (I love this forum). Initially Alexa seemed quite helpful, but she is now mostly uncooperative: complaining of connection errors, not understanding the question/command (how difficult is "navigate to Target"?), or being otherwise MIA. I like the big screen, and the nav system seems to have little difficulty if I use the virtual keyboard rather than voice. I miss CarPlay already, having to pick up my phone to call people (Alexa gets it right about 30% of the time) or change what I'm listening to. I'm hoping that the monthly OTA updates continue to add useful functionality and smooth off the rough edges. As a motorcycle rider I was surprised to see the minivan in front of me identified as a motorcycle, I guess everything is putting weight on these days. On the subject of weight, the R1T is truly remarkable in its ability to disguise its 7+k weight.

20220913_205858207_iOS.png

With all the talk of phantom drain, I decided to leave the R1T unlocked in my garage without charging it to see what happened to %charge overnight. Not a long test, but I can live with 1% in nearly 12 hours, much better than some of the horror stories that I read.
Phantom Drain.jpg

With regen on high I did not need to use the friction brakes yesterday, which prompted me to take a look at the discs this morning and conclude that they needed bedding-in. So with regen on standard I did a bunch of 55-10 mph braking progressing gentle to threshold to transfer pad material to the discs followed by a long cooldown (which is easier with regen braking). Much better stopping power and no grinding on friction braking. If any owners have not done this it is a safety must. Its difficult to see the slight bluish tint to the discs with pad material transferred.
Bed-In.png

I eased my anxiety of dropping from 700 miles/tank range to <300/charge with every adapter I thought might be useful: Tesla-J1772, NEMA 14-30P and 10-30P to 14-50 adapters, and a 20' 40A J1772 extension. I decided that storing them under the rear seat would mean that they were easily accessible when the frunk is full, and that the copper would be pliable in very cold weather. Great plan, apart from the banging every time I go over a bump. I've ordered a couple of bags from Amazon which will fit alongside the Rivian charge bag and hopefully fix the issue.

Cable storage.png

Overall paint quality is not quite up to Porsche standards, but is certainly a match for the paint on my C8 Corvette (painted in a new $500M paint shop). I'm going to run over it with a random orbital using Menzerna SI polish, which I've had great results with on other cars (its designed to level new car clearcoat). I'm going to be gentle, but it should take out much of the optical waviness in the clear coat before I get the front end PPF'd next week.

And finally, for my granola-munching brethren: I see your store bought granola, and raise you home made granola!
Granola.png
When I first looked at the picture in your garage I thought the R1T was parked next to a green VW Beetle. It wasn't until I saw the badge that I knew it was a Porsche. Its amazing how much they look alike from certain angles.

Quattro Powers

First Name
QP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Where did you get your adapters? Does the R1T come with a NEMA 14-50 adapter?

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
Does your Cayenne have full leather interior? Compared to basic Porsche interiors I feel like Rivian is on par. Nicer in some ways like the Alcantara roof lining, and almost no hard plastics. I've had six Porsches in the past and was quite pleased with the fit and finish of our R1T. Much better than I expected.

jbssfelix

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3; Rivian R1S
Clubs

When I first looked at the picture in your garage I thought the R1T was parked next to a green VW Beetle. It wasn't until I saw the badge that I knew it was a Porsche. Its amazing how much they look alike from certain angles.
Jeremy Clarkson, is that you?

Sponsored

OP
OP
EVerywhere

EVerywhere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technology
Clubs

Does your Cayenne have full leather interior? Compared to basic Porsche interiors I feel like Rivian is on par. Nicer in some ways like the Alcantara roof lining, and almost no hard plastics. I've had six Porsches in the past and was quite pleased with the fit and finish of our R1T. Much better than I expected.
Yes it has full leather, when you select that potion they use a higher grade leather for all of the trim. The difference is very noticeable. I agree the base leather trim is very close to Rivian quality.

OP
OP
EVerywhere

EVerywhere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technology
Clubs

Where did you get your adapters? Does the R1T come with a NEMA 14-50 adapter?
Yes the charger comes with a 14-50 plug, I added:

and this J1772 extension

Geocvl

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, Mini Cooper S
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Jeremy Clarkson, is that you?
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to say that. But I honestly cant tell the difference without the badge.
Rivian R1T R1S A few thoughts & photos 24 hours into Forest Green R1T ownership 1663253258925

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Wonderful intro thank you for your insight. Its great to see folks with low phantom drain. The more "regular" reviews the better. Being on this forum and reddit, we see every negative piece of the vehicle so it's refreshing to see an average 1st impression.