Sponsored

A charging port protector in the case of charging outside in a rain or snow day.

BestEvMod(AOSK)

Site Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
We designed a charging port protector to protect the charging port when you need to charge your car outdoor in a rain or snow day.
Thank you @Christopher helped us to test it out.

The following is our 3d printed sample, base on the current design, (1)we will extend the shaded area, (2) hollow out the charging light area, (3) use a soft material so that when the ice build-up, it could be easily removed.

what else shall we be aware of before making the mold for it? your opinion is important to us, we would love to hear them.

Rivian R1T R1S A charging port protector in the case of charging outside in a rain or snow day. PXL_20230608_235125287

Rivian R1T R1S A charging port protector in the case of charging outside in a rain or snow day. PXL_20230608_235311499
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I thought it was okay to charge in the rain or snow? Is this something I need to buy/worry about?
Even if it's not necessary I think I would feel better using one.

OP
OP
BestEvMod(AOSK)

BestEvMod(AOSK)

Site Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
My truck has never been in a garage to charge. The portable charger has seen snow, hail, ice storms, thunderstorms, you name it and Iā€™ve never had a problem not having a little cover.
in our other product line, such as Mach E, they have the issue of ice build-up and freezing up the charger area, and make it hard to remove the charger. thats the original thought of designing this. Its good to know the information you share!

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
in our other product line, such as Mach E, they have the issue of ice build-up and freezing up the charger area, and make it hard to remove the charger. thats the original thought of designing this. Its good to know the information you share!
Okay so that makes sense than it could prevent the charger from freezing in place overnight. Now I understand the use case for this.

Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The ice build up never affected removing the charger but definitely cause issues with the overly complicated charger door. Had to chip ice off the arm multiple times because it rotates and retracts as closing.

OP
OP
BestEvMod(AOSK)

BestEvMod(AOSK)

Site Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
The ice build up never affected removing the charger but definitely cause issues with the overly complicated charger door. Had to chip ice off the arm multiple times because it rotates and retracts as closing.
in your opinion, shall we make this item

redantpile

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 EDGE, 2023 R1S red adventure 20"
Occupation
Retired telephone engineer
Clubs

Might be a good product for our cold weather friends. Down here we just carry welding gloves to remove the charging handle.

Tee Hee

Rivian R1T R1S A charging port protector in the case of charging outside in a rain or snow day. D806E7D8-1F10-4785-BFF4-5C582BC4AA0E

Sponsored

EhrenT

First Name
EHREN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Silverado 2500HD and samauri
Occupation
Audio engineer
Clubs

Could you extend it even further, so it covers the edges that the charging door butts up to when closed? That is the part that ices up on mine and makes it so the door doesnā€™t close properly. Thanks for working on this, I had a similar idea, since I have to park and charge outside in WI winters and have been driving EVs for many years, but I just havenā€™t had the time to develop one!

Ingo B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Word Slinger
This post feels scammy to me.
I can see where that sentiment comes from, but this person has been on here for a bit, and the products are real. They're pretty good about engaging the community re: needs and wants. This post is just another one of those.

OP
OP
BestEvMod(AOSK)

BestEvMod(AOSK)

Site Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I can see where that sentiment comes from, but this person has been on here for a bit, and the products are real. They're pretty good about engaging the community re: needs and wants. This post is just another one of those.
thank you.
yes, the way we develop products might be a bit different from other companies. we usually collect as many opinions and suggestions as possible before we make a product. We will never learn if we don't listen.

OP
OP
BestEvMod(AOSK)

BestEvMod(AOSK)

Site Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Could you extend it even further, so it covers the edges that the charging door butts up to when closed? That is the part that ices up on mine and makes it so the door doesnā€™t close properly. Thanks for working on this, I had a similar idea, since I have to park and charge outside in WI winters and have been driving EVs for many years, but I just havenā€™t had the time to develop one!
I will bring this to the team!

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

I donā€™t see the point for this but a solution to prevent the door from freezing in place could be interesting.
Sponsored