First Name
G.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Audi S5 Cabriolet, 4 Wranglers
Occupation
Professional Email Deleter
I’m very lucky. Got my R1T in early April. LE. El Cap Granite. 22 black sport wheels. It’s the best car I’ve owned and ever driven. Not an exaggeration. Handling. Speed. Comfort. Electric convenience and reality of charge are incredible. You have what the car says you have - not a guess like the p100d I had for four years. I’ve even begrudgingly become less uneasy dealing with people gawking and asking questions and taking pictures. It’s a lot of fun off road too. Sand is the only surface I’ve gone off but wet roads are a dream to handle. Drive it to work 100m a day and have taken it on a number of long road trips that I never would have taken my prior ev on.

Issues - all are petty but they are mine
- climate - non intuitive in many ways and forces itself on a lot. I’m a sunroof/windows open guy and this truck doesn’t work that way for many reasons so to get ventilation is a trial and error project.
- infotainment- hands down the biggest disappointment and shocked it’s not improved. No Waze?? Why. People want to use it. No google maps either. Silly. No text reading or dictation- don’t get me started on Alexa. It’s not worth it. Make it native. My tune in works when it feels like it and the fm radio stopped working a week ago. Spotify works great but sometimes managing the podcast stuff is clunky and putting the window of what’s playing all the way over to the right is annoying and distracting to drive. No satellite radio option? Why? It’s easy enough thru the phone. No audible? Why? Amazon owns 15% of the company. Some of these decisions are silly. Even if they don’t want car play the apps are easy enough to run stand alone with other car companies
- navigation. A joke. It can’t find half of the electrify America places. Even if you put in the lat/long. It’s nuts. And it loses you. I don’t get why it hasn’t improved.
- steering wheel menu leaves a ton to be desired. At least let us dial a phone number from our favorites. It’s hard enough to drive out there without managing distraction and complexity.
- phone app could be so much more robust. Especially in charging mode. It’s really all I use it for.
- key fob- haven’t figured out exactly what it wants to open the car. Sometimes it’s happy 25 feet away. Sometimes you have to be next to it. And I’m not sure it’s not the phone opening the car
- simple questions are hard. I want a spare tire. When I had a flat they had to come to my house. Great. Wonderful. But I want a spare. Why didn’t I get one before - well every time I tried to add it, because it was 22’s, it changed the order. Don’t think this should be that big of an issue.
- air compressor the connections are very dicey. I may have a bad hose where the small ball bearings fall out - but even the connection to the truck leak air. Great convenience post sand trips but could be better.

Tl/dr. love my truck. If it had car play life would be simple. Other things likely growing pains. But annoying. Very annoying
Sponsored

KingTodd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Good info; I'm glad you shared it. This helps us waiting for a Rivian to set expectations...and maybe even hope some of those are fixed before our deliveries.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Rolling your own nav and infotainment seems cavalier when most OEMs are leaning into customer desire for an integrated carplay/android solution.

Maintaining a proprietary solution is expensive and so far, very sub-par.

Maybe it gets better in time but I think this will go down as a hard lesson learned for Rivian.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Just checking, you were able to avoid things like the vehicle pulling to the right, the suspension tocking/knocking/clicking, and the steering wheel vibrating at highway speeds?

Not trying to be a jerk, but am trying to understand how "common" some of these commonly reported issues actually are.

Glad to hear you love the truck! I so far agree that no Google Maps at a minimum seems to be a huge miss.

OP
OP
gt28

gt28

First Name
G.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Has a slight pull at times to front right but not always, and hard to isolate cause. Suspension clicks, but having had jeeps for so long, didnt notice it as an issue - just assumed it was normal And with the weight of the truck and where the weight is centered, customary. No vibration in the wheel for me.

Sponsored

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Has a slight pull at times to front right but not always, and hard to isolate cause. Suspension clicks, but having had jeeps for so long, didnt notice it as an issue - just assumed it was normal And with the weight of the truck and where the weight is centered, customary. No vibration in the wheel for me.
Thank you - Since you stated you have some pulling, have you ever noticed if your front right suspension sags some? Not a ton, maybe half an inch to an inch? This sagging likely occur intermittently if you do have it.

OP
OP
gt28

gt28

First Name
G.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Thank you - Since you stated you have some pulling, have you ever noticed if your front right suspension sags some? Not a ton, maybe half an inch to an inch? This sagging likely occur intermittently if you do have it.
I have never noticed it, and often times do look at it face on from the front. Sorry.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I had many concerns about the entertainment u/i with spotify, maping, wave, etc. too.
Been plesantly surprised that it works fine (barely 2 weeks of ownership). Just using phone on bluetooth. Sounds great!
Waze on carplay is so handy. My work around is waze on my phone while connected via bluetooth and I get audible notifications thru the sound system for 5-0, etc. Come to realize that's all I need since I rarely looked at the waze maps. No issues with the built in nav yet. Really like the u/i design too! Clean,crisp and refined...it will get better Now when I use carplay on our other vehicle it looks like a fisher price toy.
Sponsored