Sponsored

$80 to Fast Charge Your Rivian!

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
So let's say you have an ICE truck that get 20 MPG. Here in CA gas is $4.85-$5.10 per gallon. For easy math, I'll use $5.00/ gallon which works out to $100 for 400 miles (20 gallons). Max pack is 400 mile range. So $80 isn't terrible. But, I didn't get an EV until I installed solar. So my EV gas station is on my roof. If I didn't have solar, I would get a much more efficient EV than a Rivian.
Exactly. I have a Model S that I charge with my Roof and a Toyota 4Runner that honestly gets about 17MPH driving around town with AT tires. I'm replacing them both with the R1T.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
So let's say you have an ICE truck that get 20 MPG. Here in CA gas is $4.85-$5.10 per gallon. For easy math, I'll use $5.00/ gallon which works out to $100 for 400 miles (20 gallons). Max pack is 400 mile range. So $80 isn't terrible. But, I didn't get an EV until I installed solar. So my EV gas station is on my roof. If I didn't have solar, I would get a much more efficient EV than a Rivian.
That easy math is not far off for Southern California, average cost of regular unleaded in Orange County today is 4.70, LA County 4.72.

Those numbers are expected to go up as they are just starting to ship the more expensive summer blends this week.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Tesla:$0.58/kwh.

What were people saying about EA prices?

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
You are paying for service delivery and infrastructure, not the electrons. The market isn't efficient like gas pumping yet but will improve and become more competitive in time.

Just like a rental car, the cheapest part is the car.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Tesla:$0.58/kwh.

What were people saying about EA prices?

There is a side benefit to this, the Supercharger stations here in SoCal have not been as busy during the day lately. Now I know why, I have lifetime free supercharging on my car so never even looked at what the prices were.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I owned a 2012 Tundra (never one check engine light or any problems) and I averaged 14mpg over the life of the truck. It has just recently found a new home with a close friend who put dibs on it when I ordered my R1T. I paid $100 on average to fill it (87 Octane in AZ) and averaged 315 miles per tank the last year.

I didn't purchase the Rivian because I desired the most efficient EV, no one does that with a 835hp four-electric motor truck, so using that as a reference is ridiculous. I purchased my truck, because I use my truck in a variety of ways (mostly adventure related and some 150 mile towing 3-4x a year, daily driving, etc.), and love the tech and the overall enjoyability of owning this truck are endless.

Our suburbia home has 8kW of Tesla solar panels and two Tesla Powerwalls. We were off the grid 93% of the year last year with this system. We eliminated our central air system (back up only) and our home is all 19+ SEER mini-split AC units.

We are on an EV price plan with SRP (our energy provider) and the the rate from 11pm-5am is 0.066 per kWh, which is when I charge (if needed). The solar system is a mini-gas station and provides approximately 45 miles per day in charge from a combination of panels/batteries. While we are no longer fully off the grid, as we use grid during super low EV pricing time, there is simply no comparison on the affordability factor vs any truck ever produced.

Bottom Line ICE Tundra (loved that truck): $ 0.31+ per mile to fuel @ $4.00 gallon
Bottom Line R1T (love this truck): $ 0.08+ per mile to fuel @ $.066 kWh price
(this does not include my 45miles free per day via solar), so the cost per mile is even less.

I've calculated road trips based upon $0.31 kWh (Electrify America Pass+) and figure it'll cost about the same as gas on a long road trip........which I can live with....

bemulligan

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
What's the most you know of someone paying to do one fill for a 95% (5-100%) charge?

Again $26 bucks for 275 miles in my Tesla cira 2015-2017.
If you are comparing to Tesla’s proprietary network, the Rivian network will be free for some amount of time and then we don’t know the price after that. Tesla’s prices back in 2015 might have been artificially low too.

bemulligan

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
I owned a 2012 Tundra (never one check engine light or any problems) and I averaged 14mpg over the life of the truck. It has just recently found a new home with a close friend who put dibs on it when I ordered my R1T. I paid $100 on average to fill it (87 Octane in AZ) and averaged 315 miles per tank the last year.

I didn't purchase the Rivian because I desired the most efficient EV, no one does that with a 835hp four-electric motor truck, so using that as a reference is ridiculous. I purchased my truck, because I use my truck in a variety of ways (mostly adventure related and some 150 mile towing 3-4x a year, daily driving, etc.), and love the tech and the overall enjoyability of owning this truck are endless.

Our suburbia home has 8kW of Tesla solar panels and two Tesla Powerwalls. We were off the grid 93% of the year last year with this system. We eliminated our central air system (back up only) and our home is all 19+ SEER mini-split AC units.

We are on an EV price plan with SRP (our energy provider) and the the rate from 11pm-5am is 0.066 per kWh, which is when I charge (if needed). The solar system is a mini-gas station and provides approximately 45 miles per day in charge from a combination of panels/batteries. While we are no longer fully off the grid, as we use grid during super low EV pricing time, there is simply no comparison on the affordability factor vs any truck ever produced.

Bottom Line ICE Tundra (loved that truck): $ 0.31+ per mile to fuel @ $4.00 gallon
Bottom Line R1T (love this truck): $ 0.08+ per mile to fuel @ $.066 kWh price
(this does not include my 45miles free per day via solar), so the cost per mile is even less.

I've calculated road trips based upon $0.31 kWh (Electrify America Pass+) and figure it'll cost about the same as gas on a long road trip........which I can live with....
Yep. And you didn’t even factor in the cost of oil changes, etc.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Non peak rates are competitive
Yep. I don't think Tesla is gouging either. Just pointing out that EA's pricing isn't outrageous as people were claiming.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Yep. I don't think Tesla is gouging either. Just pointing out that EA's pricing isn't outrageous as people were claiming.
Agreed. Especially with their $4/month plan

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
@Seattleite I just remember my MKZ hybrid and driving from Chicago to Huston for less then $100 (1,000 miles).

This does kinda of bother me, seems like a bit of a gouge.
They're trying to become profitable. The chargers come with a cost (which also includes regular maintenance) and it's an immense undertaking to create a network. So the cost may be high but it's not like they're blowing it on hookers and coke.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Expensive charging stations is what will kill the electric movement unfortunately. This is what the current administration should be pushing to fight before it gets out of hand.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Expensive charging stations is what will kill the electric movement unfortunately.
But is it really any more expensive than building a gas station? The only advantage the gas stations currently have is ancillary sales.
Sponsored