Sponsored

$80 to Fast Charge Your Rivian!

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
My guess would be, as the infrastructure and competition improve, the cost will stabilize or decrease. Obv the savings for an EV aren’t realized “at the pump” anyway.
Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Seems ok to me for once in a while fast, not at-home charging...
That was my first thought, too. On-the-road fast charging will represent a fraction of the charging many (most?) of us do.

It’s kind of like how I am not surprised to see higher prices for gasoline at freeway-close locations because of the convenience while traveling.

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Not only is EA charging fairly expensive, but I'll tell you right now that by the time we get in our Rivians the EA infrastructure will be staggeringly overtaxed by EVs. The price is only going to go up, EA has cornered the market on fast charging.

There are usually only 1 or 2 working 350kw chargers at any EA location and most people stop at them for 30-40 minutes. I already feel lucky when one is available when I show up and I fully expect the number of non-tesla, fast charging capable EVs on the road to increase by 3x to 4x this year, if not more.

If you hook up to a 150kw charger, you're going to be there for quite a while. Think an hour and a half or more for 80% charge. TBC you won't see 150kw rates on a 150kw charger, it usually averages out to around 80kw or less.

If Rivian can get this network up and running it would be huge. Charging at Electrify America is going to be a bad proposition by the time most have their Rivian; cost aside stops will just take a very long time.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
EA charges differ by state I believe, where in some states they charge by the minute and by the KWh delivered in others. Between that and the slow charging curve this would be expected.

Electrify Canada charges by the minute.

Edit : NM noticed this one is a /kWh charge.
In Ontario, Manitoba, Sask...maybe other provinces? third parties cannot sell electricity. So they sell you time at the charger instead.

Drterreur

First Name
Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model3 Dual motor
Occupation
Healthcare
Granted, they are only 100kw chargers, but I feel so lucky to have access to Circuit Électrique at 12c CAD per minute in Québec.

Most will learn the hard way that charging at fast chargers is more cost and time efficient if you only charge from 0-10% to 60-70% before you leave fore the next leg.

Sponsored

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
FWIW, on my last road trip (in December of 2021) I paid between $0.34/kW and $0.39/kW on Tesla Superchargers in California, Oregon, and Washington.

Last edited:

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
It is all about use case. If you occasionally make a 500 mile trip on a 400 mile pack and have access to cheap rates at origin and the destination, you pay high rates for may be 150 miles of it and the rest is cheap home charging. Be nice and get that BEV. You will be fine unless your power company lobbies the local government and put the screws on you.

If you regularly tow to the max for 1000 miles each way, damn the climate; get that ICE and let the planet burn.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Just like buying stock, you need to use the Dollar Cost Averaging concept. Is someone going to fast charge all the time? If so, they probably should not have bought an EV, or at least calculated this into the cost analysis.

I have no concerns about fast charging once a month at that price. I actually don't expect to do it even 6 times a year. Cost averaging based on home charging still puts me way ahead of the $80 a week I put in my Avalanche for about 375 miles. Plus, I'm in the planning process for a 13 - 16kw solar system, further lowering my electric costs.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
EV charge stations will price-gouge until there’s enough competition. It’s not a good deal right now…. Tesla still has the best pricing in most places, but it’s still a price gouge. The best thing is that most people will charge up at home overnight with the exception of longer road trips, so it’s still way cheaper than filling up at the pump.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
EV charge stations will price-gouge until there’s enough competition. It’s not a good deal right now…. Tesla still has the best pricing in most places, but it’s still a price gouge. The best thing is that most people will charge up at home overnight with the exception of longer road trips, so it’s still way cheaper than filling up at the pump.
Price gouging is pretty strong language. They are a business and do need to be able to make a profit. I can give you an example here in Southern CA (Orange County) for EA, non-member price is .43 a KW and member price is .31 per KW.

Compared to SCE residential rates for the TOU 4-9 rate plan

winter rates
8am to 4pm .29
4pm to 9pm .43
9pm to 8am .32

summer rates week days
8am to 4pm .30
4pm to 9pm .49
9pm to 8am .30

summer rates weekends
8am to 4pm .30
4pm to 9pm .40
9pm to 8am .30

There are other ares where rates are cheaper but the above rates are why I installed Solar at this house.

Sponsored

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
EA seems a little high but keep in mind i think that $0.43 is their 'non-member' charge and if you 'subscribe' it's $0.31 + $4 a month. It's month to month so if you're on a road trip you can turn it on and probably gonna come out ahead.

Also - pricing can vary by state. Some states don't let them charge per kWh because they make you sign up to be a power plant and pay powerplant money (yay for anti-competitive government) so there is a per hour charge. That is slowly going away but has been a big problem for early adopters.

You can see what pricing is in your area here: https://www.electrifyamerica.com/pricing/

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Reading through the Motor Trend write up for the R1T and this jumped out to me. $0.43 a kilowatt-hour "pre-tax". That's basically $80 bucks just to fill up your Max Pack R1T with electrons. And the scary thing is that's where we're at now, let alone where we will be. Is anybody worried about this?

What's the highest price anyone has seen for charging stations?

Back in my Model S days I think the highest I ever was charged was $0.26.

Seriously we'll be seeing $100 fill ups not too long from now on our EV adventure trips.

1641741246591.jpg
ja_kub_sz,

[Edit: while I was crafting this response to your post, I now see @Trekkie entered his fine reply, showing all the same info about EA, and more.]

I know having to pay for multiple subscription services in many areas of life causes me some fatique, but with EA, for $4.00 a month, the rate does drop to $0.31/kwh of charging. Maybe still nowhere close to what we get at home, but well worth it to get 25% off in my book, even if I'll only need EA periodically.

During the call when I signed up, I was told I can start and stop my membership to keep the discounted rate in place only for periods I know I'll need it. As little as I leave my home area during the Winter, in the Summertime, if I know I'll be traveling great distances from home on an extended trip, I'll pay the extra $4.00 to save more than that on every charge. Also, unlike fillups with gas, I'll have to retrain my brain to put in only enough higher-cost juice to get home safely during the last charge of any length trip.

I'm sure we're all looking forward to finding out more about Rivian's subscription charging programs and pricing.

Pricing and Plans for EV Charging | Electrify America
https://www.electrifyamerica.com/pricing/

Last edited:

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
In Ontario, Manitoba, Sask...maybe other provinces? third parties cannot sell electricity. So they sell you time at the charger instead.
Too much capitalism here In The states. Your right though , it’s not like the EA stations are creating the electrons, they’re just allowing the access to them. Unless of course they’re running off of hydro, wind or solar, and here in Ohio I doubt that very much. Canada has a lot of things right, even though for a long time I did not think so… ?

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
"Fueling" your EV will generally vary cost wise on where you do it.

Some are based on time at the charger, others on a per/kw rate.

I've owned an EV for a while and can count on 1 hand the number of times I fast charged.

Most of my charging is done at home. Some is supplemented on road trips by looking for the L2 freebies (hotel, dining establishment we are at, or attractions like parks, museums, towns centers).

I generally avoid DC fast chargers not only due to the possible cost, but the damage it does to my battery.

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
"Fueling" your EV will generally vary cost wise on where you do it.

Some are based on time at the charger, others on a per/kw rate.

I've owned an EV for a while and can count on 1 hand the number of times I fast charged.

Most of my charging is done at home. Some is supplemented 9n road trips by looking for the L2 freebies (hotel, dining establishment we are at, or attractions like parks, museums, towns centers).

I generally avoid DC fast chargers not only due to the possible cost, but the damage it does to my battery.
90% of charging here for me will be at home, on $0.09/kwH hydro.

Fast charging is just for road trips.
My parents have a Tesla model S, they've never used supercharging(I have, with that car, and it's great-because it's free)
Sponsored