Sponsored

6X12 U-Haul Trailer Towing - Anyone do this yet?

silkyjohnson

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition, Tesla Model 3
I’ve seen some favorable range hits posted for the 5x8 trailer with little weight added, but was wondering if anyone has had the chance to tow the larger U-Haul trailer yet with it loaded with some stuff.

I have a cross country move coming up and I may be faced with the decision to delay delivery (who knows how long that would be if I delay my shot at delivery) or try to figure out how to make the drive with a trailer. If you’re not driving a Tesla, getting from WI to WA is not a very straight line in an EV (ABRP routes me through Canada by default).
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I’ve seen some favorable range hits posted for the 5x8 trailer with little weight added, but was wondering if anyone has had the chance to tow the larger U-Haul trailer yet with it loaded with some stuff.

I have a cross country move coming up and I may be faced with the decision to delay delivery (who knows how long that would be if I delay my shot at delivery) or try to figure out how to make the drive with a trailer. If you’re not driving a Tesla, getting from WI to WA is not a very straight line in an EV (ABRP routes me through Canada by default).
I have not with an EV but my Jeep GC usually can get 20-22 mpg on a trip. I towed a 6x12 uhaul from SoCal to Denver with 1 bedroom apartment of items and averaged 15 mpg so I got about 68% of the normal range.

It traveled pretty well but that is probably more like an R1S than an R1T.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
I'm curious about this too... I had to pull a 6x12 UHaul cargo trailer with a Tacoma last week and it was near impossible to see well enough to back up. I have no doubts that the R1T can handle the trailer, I'm wondering if the mirrors are up to the task.

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
This is a post I made in another forum after a trip from upstate NY to Chicago. I would add some advice about the trailer and charging. The tongue weight will be quite heavy and you may have to drop the trailer to charge in some locations. I bought a small bottle jack to lift the trailer from the hitch if necessary.
———————————-
With day two under my belt, I have a little feedback. I am towing the largest U-Haul box trailer, 6’x12’. I “guestimate” the loaded weight at roughly 2800 lbs.

The first leg was interesting. Lesson learned? Expect the unexpected. A little bit of everything on day one including a road closure for paving and another on an overpass outside of Scranton, PA for a jumper!

Having completed the second leg (in Toledo, OH as I write) the trip has been surprisingly easy. So far I have not unhooked the trailer to charge. Although there have not been any pull-through charging stations, no one else has been charging at most stops (all EA chargers along this route). Range is extremely limited averaging about 1.35mi/kWh. This forces me to take the time to charge to 85% at most stops in order to make my next planned charge with 15 to 20 miles of margin. The nav system has not been handling the charging stops well, often directing me to a stop 100+ miles away when I have range of less than 60 miles remaining. ABRP and PlugShare have been my saviors. The good news is that cruising at 60-70 (70 mph is the right lane speed on Rt. 80), I have consistently outperformed the vehicle range estimates by 10-15% and charging speeds have been good until reaching the 60% mark where they drop off quickly. The bad news is that legs of more than 120 miles are not practical.

A short day tomorrow will put me in Chicago to drop some furniture with my daughter and return the trailer to U-Haul. I’m looking forward to the trip home sans accoutrement!

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
I towed a 6x12 with my crappy Ford Escape when I moved from SC to PA in Jan. I normally get anywhere from 330-380 miles on a tank on that trip. With the trailer I got 125-185 per tank. So about a 50% or greater hit on mpg.

OP
OP

silkyjohnson

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition, Tesla Model 3
Results in my gladiator was a 23% hit. Max speed was 68.
Sponsored