Sponsored

5th Wheel or Gooseneck Trailer specifications for R1T?

tomsatter

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, want to own R1T
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
I have seen the R1T towing specifications. What I would really like to know whether it will be possible use a 5th Wheel or Gooseneck hitch with the Rivian R1T and if so, what the recommended specification would be for this. Specifically, what would the maximum pin weight be and does the company recommend any particular hitch type.

Have any of you heard more information about this?
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I have seen the R1T towing specifications. What I would really like to know whether it will be possible use a 5th Wheel or Gooseneck hitch with the Rivian R1T and if so, what the recommended specification would be for this. Specifically, what would the maximum pin weight be and does the company recommend any particular hitch type.

No way, the bed is too short. Also, there's a lot more battery & drivetrain stuff underneath the bed & between the frame rails where you'd need to mount the hitch itself.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, you would need a long bed and a solid axle under it to carry that kind of weight.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Pretty sure I've seen Rivian confirm no fifth wheel at some point.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Rivian confirmed no 5th wheel to me by email a few months ago. part of it is that the bed floor isn't attached to the chassis - it's a lid that covers the under-bed cargo/spare-tire area. So you'd have to remove the lid, and attach a fifth-wheel mechanism to the frame in that under-bed cargo area on a booster - which also means saying goodbye to a spare tire.

Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If you need to tow a 5th wheel then the R1T is absolutely NOT the right vehicle for you.

It's cool that you want an EV truck (I empathize, because I really want an EV truck) but this product can't be everything to everyone, and towing gooseneck is way outside of it's designed use case.

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

Bed weight capacity is only 1764 lbs… basic rule to go by is that the tongue weight of a 5th wheel trailer is about 20 percent of the gross trailer weight. Eg…11,000lb trailer (5th wheel)=2,200lbs tongue weight…and if thats in the bed its too much for the R1T.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

All that said, Atlis Motors has now revealed their first working prototype - it's meant to compete with Ford F-450 to F-650 style "class 6" trucks - and will support towing up to 40,000 pounds via 5th wheel or gooseneck. (They also claim their largest battery will do 500 miles - so I would imaging towing a "big but not insanely big" 12,000 pound 5th wheel camper would still be capable of ~300 miles of range.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Definitely not the right truck for a 5th wheel or Gooseneck. Even if you can mount a hitch to the frame, it would be too far behind the rear axle. Maybe if you need to do it, you could use a trailer toad? That's a lot of added expense and some strange dynamics. If you need anything other than bumper pull, as of now you probably should look at another truck.
Sponsored