Sponsored

50 Miles of Extra Range For $10,000?

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
The R1S was available with the max pack at one point and got removed along with the Explorer trim. It's strange that Rivian is allowing all pre march orders to buy accessories and change configurations without any price hike but is not being very clear that that doesn't apply to one or two configuration changes
You're correct that there was verbiage on the Rivian website early on that indicated the Max Pack would be available on both the R1Tand R1S. Unfortunately, the Max for the R1S was not an option by the time the configurator went live, and no one was able to select an R1S with anything but the Large Pack. If memory serves however, you were able to choose the Explorer option, and it was not dropped until several months afterward.
Sponsored

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
350 is in Conserve. That percent increase would also apply to the Dual-Max. If 350 is a 16% increase over 300 for the 20ā€ AT in Conserve, then the Dual-Max with the same wheels would be (400*90%)*1.16=418 miles per charge. The 90% is to account for 20ā€AT being 10% less efficient than the 21ā€, which is what would achieve the 400.

I do doubt people are getting 350 on ATā€™s. What are the 21ā€ people getting? Should be 10% more=385. No one is reporting that.
I also doubt people are getting 350 with the 20s, considering I can't realistically get that with my 21s.

Let's do some math, using the R1S as the subject.
Large battery pack (135kwh)
R1S Quad - 20s - 289 miles (2.14 kwh/mi)
R1S Quad - 21s - 321 miles (2.38 kwh/mi)
R1S Dual - 21s - 350 miles* (2.59 kwh/mi)
*According to the tweet about the dual motor R1S last week

This means the dual motor setup with the same battery size is ~9% more efficient.
The math doesn't make any sense at 390 miles if the max battery is still 180kwh. They must have downsized it to 165kwh.

Max battery pack (if 180kwh)
R1S Dual - 21s - 390 miles (2.17 kwh/mi)

Max battery pack (if 165kwh)
R1S Dual - 21s - 390 miles (2.36 kwh/mi)

IMO the large is still the way to go. It's more efficient and given that realistically you shouldn't be arriving at a charging station with less than 15% battery anyway, the extra range is very rarely going to make a difference. I think the only use case where it makes sense is if you tow, but even then you'll probably only see a ~20-25 mile increase.

FWIW at 15% your range on a dual motor large pack will be ~53 miles, and on dual motor max pack it will be ~59 miles.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I was an originally an R1T Max pack preorder holder. Happy with my Large pack. 2nd preorder is for a Large pack R1S.

One thing I haven't seen discussed much here is battery degradation. That was why I originally wanted to get a Max pack. I usually keep my cars a long time and the R1T Large pack won't be getting about 300 mile of range forever. Battery degradation on Rivians is an unknown at this point, but is, of course inevitable. I figured with a Max pack and about 400 miles of range, even with degradation the range would be enough for whatever I wanted to do with the truck throughout the course of my ownership.

That said, still quite happy with my Large pack R1T.

Whatever Max pack specs end up being, for those who tow and for those who keep their vehicles a long time, I imagine the added range will be quite valuable.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I was an originally an R1T Max pack preorder holder. Happy with my Large pack. 2nd preorder is for a Large pack R1S.

One thing I haven't seen discussed much here is battery degradation. That was why I originally wanted to get a Max pack. I usually keep my cars a long time and the R1T Large pack won't be getting about 300 mile of range forever. Battery degradation on Rivians is an unknown at this point, but is, of course inevitable. I figured with a Max pack and about 400 miles of range, even with degradation the range would be enough for whatever I wanted to do with the truck throughout the course of my ownership.

That said, still quite happy with my Large pack R1T.

Whatever Max pack specs end up being, for those who tow and for those who keep their vehicles a long time, I imagine the added range will be quite valuable.
My long term plan with the Max pack was to combat range loss over time. Max now, large pack range 10 years later

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I'm holding out for 500 miles of advertised range. You know, so I can get close to 400 real world miles in winter driving. šŸ˜†

Sponsored

gonefishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 honda civic
I consistently see 350 miles in Conserve when taking road trips on the Large pack, and thatā€™s pre-update. Will be doing a couple thousand miles next week though, so should get a much more accurate view of my range after that trip.
Did you take that road trip yet?

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Did you take that road trip yet?
Leaving tomorrow morning! In the insane weather currently on its way to the California coast ā€¦.

Will report back next week for sure.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I also doubt people are getting 350 with the 20s, considering I can't realistically get that with my 21s.

Let's do some math, using the R1S as the subject.
Large battery pack (135kwh)
R1S Quad - 20s - 289 miles (2.14 kwh/mi)
R1S Quad - 21s - 321 miles (2.38 kwh/mi)
R1S Dual - 21s - 350 miles* (2.59 kwh/mi)
*According to the tweet about the dual motor R1S last week

This means the dual motor setup with the same battery size is ~9% more efficient.
The math doesn't make any sense at 390 miles if the max battery is still 180kwh. They must have downsized it to 165kwh.

Max battery pack (if 180kwh)
R1S Dual - 21s - 390 miles (2.17 kwh/mi)

Max battery pack (if 165kwh)
R1S Dual - 21s - 390 miles (2.36 kwh/mi)

IMO the large is still the way to go. It's more efficient and given that realistically you shouldn't be arriving at a charging station with less than 15% battery anyway, the extra range is very rarely going to make a difference. I think the only use case where it makes sense is if you tow, but even then you'll probably only see a ~20-25 mile increase.

FWIW at 15% your range on a dual motor large pack will be ~53 miles, and on dual motor max pack it will be ~59 miles.
I think you mean mi/kwh not kwh/mi...

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Real question: Why do some recent reviews (e.g. Car & Driver) state the range is less than Rivian claims? Their tests must be different than my experience with normal/highway driving.

Sponsored

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
Does anyone have any real data to show what the Max pack will be in size/kwh? I swear I saw something somewhere at one point in time that said it was going to be 180 kwh. If that's true I'd assume 175 kwh usable.

In my r1t that would net me 450ish miles in all purpose mode in the colorado mountain cold(i have 4k miles in 2 months of winter only driving since getting mine @2.6mi/kwh)The added weight of the extra cells wouldn't make a difference when cruising at highway speed. So the highway range in conserve mode for me would be bananas.
Plus I believe it's already been stated in this thread but the dual motors less weight would probably offset the bigger battery.

Basically if the max pack is truly going be 180kwh, coupled with the dual motor setup, not a snowballs chance in hell it only goes 400 miles.

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
I agree with most of the people about the large being big enough. Staying at every fast charger on a road trip for 10-15 more minutes can make the max pack irrelevant unless you tow constantly. For road trips I would love to be able to have the capability of driving over 300 miles and still have 20% or more battery left. I know it's not necessary, but it would give more flexibility for certain trips for me.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I think the issue with Max pack is this:

It usually doesnā€™t matter when thereā€™s charging infrastructure and, like us, you like to stop and take breaks once in a while

But when you do need it, then you really need it. Like crossing vast swaths of charging deserts, or going deep into the backcountry.

Indy avocado

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '17 Macan S, '11 Mustang GT
I think the issue with Max pack is this:

It usually doesnā€™t matter when thereā€™s charging infrastructure and, like us, you like to stop and take breaks once in a while

But when you do need it, then you really need it. Like crossing vast swaths of charging deserts, or going deep into the backcountry.
When towing a trailer, the extra 30kwh (~30-50mi) might be all the difference of making it to a fast charger or not - The goal is that there are DCFC every ~50 miles on interstates, but there are lots of gaps still and ridiculously unreliable stations. Right now, headed south out of Chicago, you need to make it about 130mi from the last DCFC to the next stop in Lafayette, IN... and that station has been plagued with issues for weeks (down to one station, reduced speeds, constant lines).

If you're towing a boxy trailer, you might need to take state roads and do ~60mph to be able to bridge that gap with the large pack. That said... even with the max pack I it's going to be work to be able to skip it and make it to Indianapolis, another ~70mi. It's about 180mi total, so you need to do ~1.2mi/kwh and be comfortable draining to 10% or less.

The problem is infrastructure. I moved on from the max pack because it didn't really solve (in my opinion) the key issue of lacking infrastructure.

Nullogy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
For those R1T owners who got pricing before the increase, can you share how much it was to change the quad motor to the dual-motor max pack? I'm trying to gauge how much it might cost my R1S reservation.
Sponsored