Sponsored

50 Miles of Extra Range For $10,000?

ThatOneGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I think it's very likely that the R1T Max Pack gets more than 400 miles of range. The first EPA estimate for the R1T Large Pack was 15-20 miles lower than what owners were able to get in conserve mode. I expect that there'll be a similar milage "gain" of 20-40 miles with the Max Pack while driving in conserve mode, so a potential to get upwards of 440 miles. That sort of range is totally worth the extra cost to me, though I am benefiting from the grandfathered pre-March Max Pack pricing.
Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
I think it's very likely that the R1T Max Pack gets more than 400 miles of range. The first EPA estimate for the R1T Large Pack was 15-20 miles lower than what owners were able to get in conserve mode. I expect that there'll be a similar milage "gain" of 20-40 miles with the Max Pack while driving in conserve mode, so a potential to get upwards of 440 miles. That sort of range is totally worth the extra cost to me, though I am benefiting from the grandfathered pre-March Max Pack pricing.
The added pack weight will reduce even further, the usable payload, "kW/Mi efficiency" and tongue weight. To each....

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Please correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but according to Rivian the Large Pack gets 350 miles of range whereas the ā€œsoon to comeā€ MaxPack will get around 400 miles. Iā€™ve got an R1T Max pack ordered and my price for that is an additional $10,000. If I change my order for a Large pack Iā€™ll save the ten grand. Yes, our here in the boonies extra range is useful to have - but for only 50 more miles why on earth would I stick with the Max? What am I missing?
U do u, if it's worth it to u, pay up.....Sounds like it's not.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I consistently see 350 miles in Conserve when taking road trips on the Large pack, and thatā€™s pre-update. Will be doing a couple thousand miles next week though, so should get a much more accurate view of my range after that trip.
Please update the crew with your efficiency / range numbers.

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

50-60 miles more is realistic even with the conserve boost. When you think your truly usable miles on a road trip and being gentle on your battery pack, that's 10-20% up to 80-90%, 70% of your pack. Rough maths say 56 miles.

But you are correct, is it really needed? Hell no. $10k buys so many crossword puzzles, overpriced lattes, and other unnecessary things. Now we just need better charging stops than Walmart and Taco Bell...
Easy now, what do you have against Gorditas and Chalupas šŸŒ®

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I was originally a Max Pack order. Did the price\range\delivery trade offs like the OP and changed to standard battery. got my truck within six weeks of switching. Now at 12,000 miles on the odometer and 0 regrets. I get 350 mile of range in the summer and have no real need for the max pack.
Winning!!!

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Can we talk about real range that people are experiencing to help decide if the Max Pack provides value?

Yesterday, I drove 290 miles around Northern California. This drive was on flat highways with speeds in the 75-78 range. Less than 50 miles of the drive was on smaller roads at 55. Almost no traffic. Weather was overcast and cool (48 to 52 degrees). I began the drive with 100% SOC and 347 miles of range reading in Conserve mode. My truck has 20" AT's on it. When I reached the RAN charger I had driven 245 miles and had 30 miles of range remaining. That would equate to 275 miles of total range (if I drove to 0 miles of range).

This pattern of battery consumption is typical for me. I never rely on what the truck is saying as "real" range. My range is always less than what the truck is reporting and my "right foot" is the biggest influence on range. I see a lot of people talking about getting 340+ miles on a charge, but I have to wonder if this is "real achieved" number or just what the range meter is stating. I have found that driving style, the roads you drive on, your speed, traffic conditions, the weather and your cargo all play into your "real" range. My R1T's real range with me behind the wheel is 275 miles in Conserve mode starting from 100% SOC.

Now back to the topic of the Max Pack. I had originally spec'd my order with a Max Pack. Like many others I jumped on a truck in the R1 Shop and gave up on the Max Pack. I am glad I opted to get a Large Pack truck. The charging network in CA makes it easy to find a charger. I have access to 3 RAN chargers on my common routes, I charge at work for free and I rarely pay for charging. Knowing what I know today, after driving my truck for 8 months and 8k miles, I would say people need to consider a number of variables before they decide if the Max Pack meets their needs.

In my case, I wanted the Max Pack originally, but I have learned that given my use of the truck, driving style and access to charging I don't need it. But if it were available when I bought my truck I would have purchased it. Good luck with your choice.
347 miles on 20s..... šŸ‘Œ

Sponsored

elfordon

First Name
Elfordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Large Charge Marge (Max Pack R1T)
Occupation
retired
Clubs

We will be (s00n) 100% EVs if the max pack ever shows up. It's cold here in the winter, and we need to drive long distances regularly (1,000 miles one-way) to see some dang good-lookin' grandkids. (Maybe 9 or 10 trips a year.) We also have a small camper that we tow sometimes.

If the max pack is only 50 miles longer range, well, who knows what we'll do. Not sure that will have been worth the 3 yr wait.

But we're sitting tight until the tonneau mess is straightened out.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Thatā€™s interesting because I texted my guide yesterday and Abby couldnā€™t tell me what the price difference would be.
Did you not get that email? If not, then I assume you weren't configured to have a Max Quad originally? That's where pricing gets funky for anyone with a large quad looking to convert to a dual max, they didn't touch on pricing, but for the most part have stated anyone looking to change, old preorder or new, would be paying full today pricing on the option.

The only reason for the lesser price dual max offer is to more or less not piss off those of us that had been firmly encamped on the Max Pack and it was meant to coax us down while offering an incentive.
People keep mixing scenarios in these discussions. Lawrence of Blaine's signature indicates an R1S reservation, which means his was never configured with a max pack and his pricing could only ever have been for the large pack and quad motors -- assuming a pre-March 1 2022 pre-order. The email pasted in this thread only went to people with an R1T pre-order configured with a max pack. The pricing offered to them was to change from an R1T Quad Max to an R1T Dual Max. Rivian has not told anybody what pricing will look like for any scenario other than that one, for pre-March 1 pre-orders.

Lawrence-of-Blaine

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, GMC Envoy, Nissan 350Z
Occupation
Photographer/Artist
Clubs

People keep mixing scenarios in these discussions. Lawrence of Blaine's signature indicates an R1S reservation, which means his was never configured with a max pack and his pricing could only ever have been for the large pack and quad motors -- assuming a pre-March 1 2022 pre-order. The email pasted in this thread only went to people with an R1T pre-order configured with a max pack. The pricing offered to them was to change from an R1T Quad Max to an R1T Dual Max. Rivian has not told anybody what pricing will look like for any scenario other than that one, for pre-March 1 pre-orders.
You are correct!

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
For pre-March 2021 customers, the dual-max is $5500 more expensive than the Large; the dual-max-ultra is $8000 more than Large. In both cases the range is 70+ miles over the Large, or 20+% more range. In Conserve the dual-max range will be even more.
Sponsored