Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5 35d
Occupation
Surgeon
Hi,

I have configured an R1S adventure package with the 5 seat version. The configurator states that the 5 seat version has "more room for cargo." Does anyone have any additional information or pics of the 5 versus 7 seat cargo area. Thanks
Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Hi,

I have configured an R1S adventure package with the 5 seat version. The configurator states that the 5 seat version has "more room for cargo." Does anyone have any additional information or pics of the 5 versus 7 seat cargo area. Thanks
There are pics from the prototypes of the 3rd row folded and it has a big bump. Rivian said they improved it and it now folds almost flat[3 degrees] I'm still waiting to see pics. I really really hope they didn't made the battery smaller to accomplish this since I've seen responses from the Rivian team saying that the pack is not exactly 135 but its really close.....

neockder

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JK, Scout, Tundra, Chinook, Prius
Occupation
Devs
I was sort of assuming you'd be able to remove the 3rd row seat and the versions would be identical. If that's not the case, I may adjust my configuration and go with the 5 seat version.. If the 3rd row takes up battery room to accommodate for a folded flat floor I think the 3rd row is out for me. I get what they're attempting where others have failed - with either a large hump when folded (basically doesn't create any more room) or flipped up to the sides like a Land cruiser and a narrow cargo space (drastically reduces space as well). The Discovery had rumble seats that neatly folded into the inner side fenders which was the cleanest I've seen.

Speaking of which... once you've finished your configuration - there's no easy way to go back! I get it, they want to lock in numbers and start working on the mass production of parts, but at this point I don't think they need to worry about over production of any one optioned package. Would be nice to have a 'go back and look' option once you've selected your setup.

There are pics from the prototypes of the 3rd row folded and it has a big bump. Rivian said they improved it and it now folds almost flat[3 degrees] I'm still waiting to see pics. I really really hope they didn't made the battery smaller to accomplish this since I've seen responses from the Rivian team saying that the pack is not exactly 135 but its really close.....

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
there's no easy way to go back!
You can just log in, view configuration and then change configuration. Doesn't seem to hard to me.

TAZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
I asked support this morning about removing the third row and received the following. "The 2nd and 3rd row seats fold nearly flat, but if you're looking for additional cargo space, you may unbolt the 3rd row seats and remove them with the proper tools and knowledge. "

Sponsored

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
I was sort of assuming you'd be able to remove the 3rd row seat and the versions would be identical. If that's not the case, I may adjust my configuration and go with the 5 seat version.. If the 3rd row takes up battery room to accommodate for a folded flat floor I think the 3rd row is out for me. I get what they're attempting where others have failed - with either a large hump when folded (basically doesn't create any more room) or flipped up to the sides like a Land cruiser and a narrow cargo space (drastically reduces space as well). The Discovery had rumble seats that neatly folded into the inner side fenders which was the cleanest I've seen.
Hi,

I brought this up in another thread but i'm too lazy to go back to find it ;) Essentially, I was told by a CS rep that the cargo space is exactly the same in both the 5 and 7 seaters, in that the cargo area floor of the 5 seater would be at the level as the back of the 3rd row seats when folded down. Wrap your mind around that picture. There's a void that could be utilized when you remove the seats from the 7 seat model in my mind, no? Hurts my head thinking about it....like how do black holes work?

But, that completely contradicts Rivian's own website saying the 5 seat version has more room for cargo. I'm not believing the CS rep at this point. I'll wait to see the vehicles. I decided to go with the 5 seater regardless, and didn't choose the LE. I personally will hopefully like the cleaner look of the 5 seater's cargo room space. I don't have a family situation necessitating the 7 seats, and I hate being the one having the "largest car" when people choose the car to pile into. This way, I can limit that scenario. Haha!

Chris S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Model 3 Perf, '19 MX-5 Club, '22 Model Y Perf
Occupation
REALTOR
Even if they manage to engineer the 3rd row seats to fold flat, think about how much space those seats consume while folded. Then, imagine having a sub-floor hidden compartment (&/or extra battery capacity) in that freed-up space on the 2 row version. They've not just going to leave a hollow void that nobody can access on the 2 row versions.

SojournerMedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Land Cruiser LC100
Occupation
dirtbag
The configurator states that the 5 seat version has "more room for cargo."
My interpretation of the configurator's language (5 seats more room for cargo; 7 seats more room for people) is just a floofy marketing spin, meaning "choose the 5 seater to emphasize cargo" or "choose the 7 seater to emphasize people carrying".

My intent was to get the 5 seater w/ 400mi+ range pack (what they were adverstising pre-configurator). It seems now they have (will have) a way to squeeze 7 seats in along w/ the 400mi+ pack. Either way I don't want those 2 extra seats; I want room for 4.5, internal cargo, and I can build a shelf/platform for when I'm alone I can sleep in it. I hope it'll deliver before 2023.

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

I brought this up in another thread but i'm too lazy to go back to find it ;) Essentially, I was told by a CS rep that the cargo space is exactly the same in both the 5 and 7 seaters, in that the cargo area floor of the 5 seater would be at the level as the back of the 3rd row seats when folded down. Wrap your mind around that picture. There's a void that could be utilized when you remove the seats from the 7 seat model in my mind, no? Hurts my head thinking about it....like how do black holes work?

But, that completely contradicts Rivian's own website saying the 5 seat version has more room for cargo. I'm not believing the CS rep at this point. I'll wait to see the vehicles. I decided to go with the 5 seater regardless, and didn't choose the LE. I personally will hopefully like the cleaner look of the 5 seater's cargo room space. I don't have a family situation necessitating the 7 seats, and I hate being the one having the "largest car" when people choose the car to pile into. This way, I can limit that scenario. Haha!
THIS was my thinking. If the 5 seat and 7 seat versions are the exact same price, why not just get the 7 seat, and manually remove the rear 2 seats yourself after you but it? You basically get an extra 2 seats for free and have them in case that need ever arises. Or am I missing something?

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

THIS was my thinking. If the 5 seat and 7 seat versions are the exact same price, why not just get the 7 seat, and manually remove the rear 2 seats yourself after you but it? You basically get an extra 2 seats for free and have them in case that need ever arises. Or am I missing something?
Someone posted recently (within the past few days) that CS said the 3rd row seats are fixed and not removable FYI. (I can't remember who posted it or on which thread)

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Someone posted recently (within the past few days) that CS said the 3rd row seats are fixed and not removable FYI. (I can't remember who posted it or on which thread)
What I was told previously is that they are removable if you have the right tools and knowledge. I think these messages are consistent. The implication being that they are not intended to be removed thus there isn't a tool-free quick disconnect mechanism. The big question is what remains when the seats are unbolted and removed....

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
What I was told previously is that they are removable if you have the right tools and knowledge. I think these messages are consistent. The implication being that they are not intended to be removed thus there isn't a tool-free quick disconnect mechanism. The big question is what remains when the seats are unbolted and removed....
You have to assume that the body structure will be the same for 5 & 7 seat models. The difference could be what I'll call a "finish kit" that provides a storage tub & a flat cover for the void left where the 3rd row and its footwell would be.

If I was them, I would offer those components as an accessory for LE buyers that are forced into the 7 seat config but only want 5. It might take a little DIY, but would be worth it to provide LE buyers a solution to get what they really want. Maybe even incorporate seat removal & kit installation into the delivery service for those that opt for it.

In fact, a similar approach could be used for the middle seat in the 2nd row as well...

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
There may be additional panels in the 5 seat config that give you a level load floor. Remove the 3rd row and the floor probably drops the height of the seat cushion.

EV-X Oregon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Volvo XC 60, BWM X5, Honda Odessey
Occupation
Principal Real Estate Broker
HOW FLAT IS "NEARLY FLAT"? Looking for confirmation as to "how flat" the rear of the R1S is with all seats folded down. I've seen mixed information, once from Rivian (somewhere) stating "completely flat," somewhere else maybe "nearly flat."

It seems like a huge oversight since they designed the skateboard battery pack as flat, but it could be a real problem didn't make all the rear seating fold completely flat (loading cargo, sleeping, large protective mat, etc).

Ideally, I would like to drive my "adventure vehicle" a few hours to the mountains and go camping. Maybe arrive at 9:00 p.m. on a Friday evening, sleep in the back of the R1S on a completely flat surface, have the R1S "auto level" itself with the air suspension to fix any terrain issues, and be able to adjust heating and cooling of the vehicle (aka Tesla camp mode) throughout the evening. Yes, I'd like to lay in the back of the R1S and look at the stars, just not with a lump, bump, angle or divot in my back.

Last summer I slept in the back of a Land Rover LR3, it worked great and was very comfortable. I also "tried to sleep" in the back of an Acura MDX with "nearly flat" seats, it was TERRIBLE! Heck my 1991 Volvo wagon had seats that folded completely flat as well, so practical that Volvo.

Lastly, on a wish list of mine... aftermarket mosquito netting to be integrated into a couple of window openings or moon roof would be cool too.

Rivian R1T R1S 5 Seat versus 7 seat Rivian rear seats

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
HOW FLAT IS "NEARLY FLAT"? Looking for confirmation as to "how flat" the rear of the R1S is with all seats folded down. I've seen mixed information, once from Rivian (somewhere) stating "completely flat," somewhere else maybe "nearly flat."

It seems like a huge oversight since they designed the skateboard battery pack as flat, but it could be a real problem didn't make all the rear seating fold completely flat (loading cargo, sleeping, large protective mat, etc).

Ideally, I would like to drive my "adventure vehicle" a few hours to the mountains and go camping. Maybe arrive at 9:00 p.m. on a Friday evening, sleep in the back of the R1S on a completely flat surface, have the R1S "auto level" itself with the air suspension to fix any terrain issues, and be able to adjust heating and cooling of the vehicle (aka Tesla camp mode) throughout the evening. Yes, I'd like to lay in the back of the R1S and look at the stars, just not with a lump, bump, angle or divot in my back.

Last summer I slept in the back of a Land Rover LR3, it worked great and was very comfortable. I also "tried to sleep" in the back of an Acura MDX with "nearly flat" seats, it was TERRIBLE! Heck my 1991 Volvo wagon had seats that folded completely flat as well, so practical that Volvo.

Lastly, on a wish list of mine... aftermarket mosquito netting to be integrated into a couple of window openings or moon roof would be cool too.

Rivian rear seats.jpg
I called C S some time ago and they said 3 degrees. Not sure what that means practically
Sponsored