Sponsored

CUBldr97

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TESLA MS85 RIVIAN reservation holder
great trip report, sucks about the suspension failure... looking forward to something like that in our S

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Looks like you guys had fun! Can't wait for hopefully sometime next year when I finally get my truck, but I wouldn't mind coming out with the 4Runner at some point if you guys don't mind an ICE tagging along.

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I got my R1T (Artemis - goddess of wild nature) on May 10th. Didn't get my spare until June 6th so held off on wheeling.

On Sunday 6/19 4 R1Ts from the Colorado Rivian Club, and 1 from the Gateway Rivian Club, ran Yankee Hill Road west of Central City Colorado (Yankee Hill to Central City - Colorado Offroad Trail (trailsoffroad.com)). We ran the trail from East to West (backwards according to most sites/books), and took the spur up the actual Yankee Hill (steep and loose, Yankee Hill - The Actual Hill - Colorado Offroad Trail (trailsoffroad.com). Several of us had extensive wheeling experience. This trail is rated moderate in some places, and hard in others. Some sites and guidebooks use a 10 point difficulty scale and this trail seems to most commonly come out as a 4 or 5. The east half is fairly easy, but the west side is more difficult. All agree that it requires a capable high-clearance 4x4. I should note that we were all running the 20" all-terrains, and everyone aired down (some to 25, others including me. to 30).

I was in the lead (I was the only one who'd run the trail before), and relied on the in-truck GPS display for route finding after the first couple of turn options.

Was I impressed with the capabilities of the Rivian? Hell yes! The trucks kicked ass. I intentionally picked more challenging lines at times, and the truck never let me down. It actually made things a little too easy. Anyone who says that the R1T isn't up to the task of 4-wheeling needs to stick to mall parking lots.

Strengths
Adjustable ground clearance. I did not drag bottom at any point, but did come down on a rear control arm off one rock. Only once did I put it in "highest", most of the trail was run in "high".
Suspension. The ride was way, way smoother and more comfortable than my Xterra (3" lift, sway bar delete, fully armored) or Diesel Grand Cherokee Overland (air suspension, fully armored). Really, it was amazing how the truck soaked up the obstacles and caused minor occupant movement.
Power. The trucks just chugged up everything we threw at them. I was in Off-Road All-Purpose mode most of the time (see Weaknesses below).
Traction. The Pirelli Scorpions handled the trail without hesitation. Some sections were dirt, lots of rocks of varying sizes, and at least 1 very steep loose slope. When I did watch other trucks lose traction, it was typically only at 1 wheel, and even then the wheel speed stayed low, minimizing any trail damage. Everyone in our group did a great job with throttle control.
Downhill. With regen on high, I was able to come to a complete stop on steep downhills without ever touching the brakes. It was a bit weird to have to keep my foot on the throttle to make forward progress compared to my other vehicles that require braking.

Weaknesses.
Really only 1 that I can think of. When you get out of the truck with it in Off-Road mode it'll try to go back to general All-Purpose mode when you get back in. There is a question on the display asking if you want to change, but it's easy to miss. On one section I got back in and must have missed the question. I started to drive and was surprised that I was suddenly getting proximity warnings going off even though I wasn't too close to any obstacles. The truck still handled the section fine until I figured out what was up. It'd be nice to have the option to make this default to staying in off-road mode.

We did have 1 mechanical failure on the run, ironically at the top of the steepest section when we were all out of our vehicles for a photo op. John's front driver-side suspension airbag blew. We were all standing there when we heard it. The rest of the airbags deflated on their own to match. He called Rivian but we weren't thinking it'd be possible to get a flatbed up there. In the end, John chose to not only drive down the steep slope, but all the way out to pavement. I'll let him chime in more if he's here and wants to, but he said it was a really rough ride, but he didn’t mention any handling issues. My take was that it was good to know that even with such a failure, you could still get yourself out. We left the truck at the side of the road for it to be picked up today. It'll be interesting to see if it was one of the airbags or a hose.

There should be lot more photos and videos, and we flew several drones. I expect additional trail reports and photos/videos on Rivian Stories (https://s00n.rivianstories.com/posts/24424809?utm_source=manual for one).

1655761440892.png

1655761471419.png

1655761572639.png

Some videos to follow.

I believe something very much like this happened at the Rebelle Rally day one and it was a hose issue

OP
OP
kneebuster

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
Looks like you guys had fun! Can't wait for hopefully sometime next year when I finally get my truck, but I wouldn't mind coming out with the 4Runner at some point if you guys don't mind an ICE tagging along.
You might need to bring up the rear so we don't have to suck down your exhaust fumes 😉

Sponsored

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This field needs to be bigger, I’m at 10 cars…
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

OMG people coming the other direction must have FREAKED OUT

OP
OP
kneebuster

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
First, there were several gawkers as we lined up for the glamour shot in town. Then there were all the people asking questions as we aired down. Later, we went by a group of folks shooting large caliber guns. One of them walked up to my truck as we were approaching to say he'd been following Rivian for 2 years, and then proceeded to ask questions. There was also the JK I came up behind who seemed to panic and proceeded to do some underbody damage, and maybe body damage, to his rig.

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This field needs to be bigger, I’m at 10 cars…
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Sounds like an amazing trip. I can’t wait to get mine out to Silverton!

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Great video. I've been up to Kingston Peak many times (right next to Yankee Hill). The views there are wonderful. It'll be a while before I get my R1T but I'm going to go his Yankee Hill next month in my Jeep.

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Great video. I've been up to Kingston Peak many times (right next to Yankee Hill). The views there are wonderful. It'll be a while before I get my R1T but I'm going to go his Yankee Hill next month in my Jeep.
you know what is funny is that we didn't really have a chance to enjoy the scenery, or at least we were distracted with the mechanical issue. We'll have to go back.

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5