First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
driver+ hasnt worked since delivery day. Update .47 fixed it. Sure makes road-trips easier!
Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I'm glad it's working for you, but .47 is pretty mediocre for me. Better than the ping-pong fest in August. Feels a bit worse than what was delivered on my truck in May.

Regardless, still vastly inferior to Tesla AP1 which dates back to 2014.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I'm glad it's working for you, but .47 is pretty mediocre for me. Better than the ping-pong fest in August. Feels a bit worse than what was delivered on my truck in May.

Hardware goes back to 2014 but I think the first software for the AP1 hardware was released in October 2015. My 2016 had AP1 hardware and it was pretty decent on long stretches of highway.

A couple of buddies got their Teslas later with AP2 and it took almost 2 years for their vehicles to catch up with the AP1 capabilities. They kept getting updates in that time but were incremental increases of capability.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

I swear your truck has a sensout of calibration or something. Mine is pretty rock solid.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I swear your truck has a sensout of calibration or something. Mine is pretty rock solid.
You may be right.

For me, in August, it was basically unusable. I drove 1000 miles to OBX and back and it felt like a boat rocking in the ocean. I initially thought it was due to the bicycles on the back, but it was just as bad driving around without them.

The one immediately after was back to normal, as was the one after that. This one just feels a tad worse than that and what was delivered in May.

Regardless, AP1 felt better on the 2016 Model S I had before this.
  • More planted and predictable.
  • No scary TAKE OVER RIGHT FRIGGIN NOW!! in all red with alerts blaring at random points on a highway.
  • The ability to do automated lane changes with a tap on the blinker.
  • The ability to work everywhere. (some places only if you're brave enough :D)

I think it will work really well one day, and I'm totally down to let it mature. The existing capacitive wheel (with a promise of hands-free driving) is superior to Tesla already.

That said, if someone is thinking they are getting Tesla AP1 or Nissan ProPilot Assist or Volvo Pilot Assist today when purchasing a Rivian today, I think that disappointment will set in quickly.

There are tons of reasons to by a Rivian - they are largely great vehicles. Driver assistance software (currently) ain't one.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
No scary TAKE OVER RIGHT FRIGGIN NOW!! in all red with alerts blaring at random points on a highway.
I hate this. It used to give you a warning ahead of time when I knew it was going to lose as o something and now it's just "HA, gotcha now punk!" And suddenly you have regen slowing you down.
Sponsored